It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LSU basketball player killed in shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
LSU forward Wayde Sims was killed early Friday morning in a shooting at A Subway restaurant near Southern University in Baton Rouge.

Sims a 6’6 Junior forward was the Louisiana Gatorade Player of the year at University High Lab School in Baton Rouge where he led them to three consecutive State Championships.

As a graduate and former baseball player at LSU I am deeply saddened. All athletes at LSU, both current and former share a special bond, kind of like a fraternity.
I am especially saddened because I knew his father who also played basketball at LSU the same years I was there and I can’t imagine what he and he family are going through.

I live in Baton Rouge and yes, it’s a relatively violent city. But also one of the best cities in the world in my opinion.
I am so sick of the violence that plagues this nation. I am a strong supporter of the Second Ammendment, but come on, it seems that everyone around here is packing and solving disputes with a bullet.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that bit of sad news.

I will hoist one in his honor before the LSU-Ole Miss game Saturday.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My god. Can you imagine how depressing it would be to die at Subway? It's one of those things that I guess if it has to happen, I wouldn't want to have time to lay there and think about the fact that I was going to die at Subway.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
My god. Can you imagine how depressing it would be to die at Subway? It's one of those things that I guess if it has to happen, I wouldn't want to have time to lay there and think about the fact that I was going to die at Subway.

Agreed.

Any info on the circumstances? Why, who?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
www.google.com...

Sure not much to the story yet.

Robbery gone wrong?
Was he a target?

And why does this always happen after midnight?
A college student on a Thursday night.
Should have been in bed.

Too bad.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Should have been in bed?

What? No, not really! Life does not stop when the sun goes down, and hasn't for a few decades now!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

He was a college student, "supposedly"
When I went to college I had morning classes.

Hes a basketball player so who knows.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well, his schedule is something we are not privy to just at the moment, but even if it were, no he should not have been in bed. He should have been doing precisely what anyone else should have been doing, and that is whatever the hell he pleased, whenever he pleased, without getting shot for his trouble. Its perfectly fine for the consequences of taking an evening for personal time and relaxation to end in sub par information uptake during a morning lecture. It is not perfectly fine for that same decision to wind up killing a person. One of these things is a personal responsibility issue, the other is a criminal responsibility issue.

The point is, he was exactly where he had every right to be, and the time of day could not be less important.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

If this was a random shooting, I agree.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

It would be even worse at a IHOP.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl
There was very little information released by the police because it happened at 12:35 am this morning. He was taken to the hospital where he died of his wounds.

It’s weird. This happened in north Baton Rouge and the two hospitals that would have been close to him closed their emergency rooms in the last few years. So any kind of trauma patients have to be carted to south Baton Rouge which is a good 20 minutes away by interstate at midnight.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I think what Blue is trying to say is, things like this don't typically just happen. The circumstances make it appear that he may have been up to no good to begin with.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
My parents used to tell me that nothing good happens after midnight...

If I had to guess, it was a robbery or he was hanging out with friends still in the streets...

Baton Rouge is one of the most violent cities per capita in the US.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I saw what Blue was trying to say.

Let me tell you a little bit about the town I live in. Just over the last year or two, criminals who have been expanding their reach from London, out toward neighboring areas, have contributed, along with collapsing wages and a skyrocketing cost of living as a result of eight years of austerity politics in our country, to a massive increase in violent crime.

Stabbings, beatings, its all going on here at the moment. In broad daylight, at night, it does not matter a fig either way. Now, this is my manor, as the locals might say, my stomping ground. In terms of where I call my home, it goes right the way from the Eastern most coastal areas of my borough, all the way to the border with the neighboring borough, because I have walked on near enough every street, sat and even slept on most of the park benches, bus stops, and rest areas, and under the cover of every patch of woodland and parkland in the place. In terms of where I call home, its this entire borough. There is no place in this borough where I feel unsafe, because no one knows as much of it, as well as I do, not even folk who have lived in it since the sixties, purely because most folk keep to their little corner. But not me. I walk the streets as if I own them, because in so far as someone can own something they have no financial connection to, they are mine.

So I walk our high street at all times of day or night, I go about my business whether personal or commercial, at whatever time is necessary, and I think nothing of it, regardless of the increase in violence. And I damned well should. We all should, residents of this borough, go where we please, whenever we like, and damn the pricks with their knives and their gangs. Of course, the thing with me is that knives don't worry me and numbers are relatively easy to counter by choosing ones battleground, which is where local knowledge comes in.

The point though, is that it is by no means the case that to be out at a certain time of night, makes a person at fault for whatever happens to them, or indicates in any fashion that they are somehow involved in something which somehow legitimises what happens to them at the hand of a murderer. If some enterprising person manages to stick a knife in me, or some clever bunch of scumbags manages to corner me and do me in with feet and fists (which, by the way, they will have to earn), THEY will be responsible and the only party responsible for my death, and I have to give the dead man in this article the benefit of the same doubt. So do you guys. If you don't, thats just bad form, and you need calling on it every time you let your standards drop.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

I saw what Blue was trying to say.

Let me tell you a little bit about the town I live in. Just over the last year or two, criminals who have been expanding their reach from London, out toward neighboring areas, have contributed, along with collapsing wages and a skyrocketing cost of living as a result of eight years of austerity politics in our country, to a massive increase in violent crime.

Stabbings, beatings, its all going on here at the moment. In broad daylight, at night, it does not matter a fig either way. Now, this is my manor, as the locals might say, my stomping ground. In terms of where I call my home, it goes right the way from the Eastern most coastal areas of my borough, all the way to the border with the neighboring borough, because I have walked on near enough every street, sat and even slept on most of the park benches, bus stops, and rest areas, and under the cover of every patch of woodland and parkland in the place. In terms of where I call home, its this entire borough. There is no place in this borough where I feel unsafe, because no one knows as much of it, as well as I do, not even folk who have lived in it since the sixties, purely because most folk keep to their little corner. But not me. I walk the streets as if I own them, because in so far as someone can own something they have no financial connection to, they are mine.

So I walk our high street at all times of day or night, I go about my business whether personal or commercial, at whatever time is necessary, and I think nothing of it, regardless of the increase in violence. And I damned well should. We all should, residents of this borough, go where we please, whenever we like, and damn the pricks with their knives and their gangs. Of course, the thing with me is that knives don't worry me and numbers are relatively easy to counter by choosing ones battleground, which is where local knowledge comes in.

The point though, is that it is by no means the case that to be out at a certain time of night, makes a person at fault for whatever happens to them, or indicates in any fashion that they are somehow involved in something which somehow legitimises what happens to them at the hand of a murderer. If some enterprising person manages to stick a knife in me, or some clever bunch of scumbags manages to corner me and do me in with feet and fists (which, by the way, they will have to earn), THEY will be responsible and the only party responsible for my death, and I have to give the dead man in this article the benefit of the same doubt. So do you guys. If you don't, thats just bad form, and you need calling on it every time you let your standards drop.

The point is you don't put yourself in situations that could be potentially volatile.

Let me be blunt. Here in the US, black on black violence in some areas is really high. I am black. I don't go to house parties, night clubs, picnics, concerts, or any place where there will be large numbers of young (say less than 25 years old) black males. These types of venues attract too many thug wannabes. It only takes one or two people to start having a disagree over scuffed shoe or some other perceived disrespect before some guy wants to keep it real and brings out his heat to bust a few shots off.

I've been there, done that as a teen. Fortunately, I matured quick enough to learn that hanging out in certain areas and situations is simply taking an unnecessary risk.

I stopped hanging out with my friends who still ran in the streets doing dirt. Last thing I need is to be simply having a conversation and become collateral damage while my friend's enemies are trying to extract revenge.

Often times in the black community, even when we get out of the hood, we still may maintain some ties. You see this a lot with athletes. Their homies become their entourage and often times they bring that street sh*t with them and occasionally, it winds up innocently involving the athlete (or entertainer).

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

I live in Baton Rouge and yes, it’s a relatively violent city.

It wasn't when I grew up there in the 80s and 90s. Something changed after... I wonder what it... Oh yeah. I remember now!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If this was a random shooting, I agree.

I dunno.. Southern isn't known for it's safety. Imagine going to highschool in the worst part of town where all the violence takes place...

Though, that's pretty much become all of BR. Everyone I grew up with there moved on the far outskirts. While the riffraff filled in the middle and expanded outward, the former residences moved out to the towns surrounding BR and even what was once empty fields and forest became townships where there had only been 1 house per square mile at best.

I could say New Orleans and Katrina was to blame but this started long before that. The turn of the century did a real number on a once awesome city.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Looks like there was a fight / brawl... this goes to my point above why I avoid certain places.

LSU Player Killed

Sims, a 20-year-old junior from Baton Rouge, was shot during an altercation outside a Subway restaurant across from Southern's football stadium around 1:25 a.m. ET Friday. A video obtained by WBRZ shows several men fighting in the street outside the restaurant. A gunshot can be heard, and Sims can be seen falling to the ground before the remaining men starting running from the scene.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Kinda what I was saying.
Bad things happen at that time.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

He should have been doing what everyone else was doing?

After midnight, most everyone else is in bed.

Just sayin' although I will offer him some latitude as a college student. There are times to pull all nighters, but as a former student athlete, in order to make my classes fit around my practice schedule, I pretty much had to take morning classes. So, yeah, I was pretty much in bed by that time most every night.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

That's sad to hear. I remember being taken to Baton Rouge for spring break training one year. It was a nice enough place then, even pulling two-a-days all week.

new topics

top topics

join