It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about a home improvement forum?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: tinymind

Always remember if you are cutting using a still saw, or a bench saw, to take into account the loss from length from the blade thickness if you are repeating cuts

Dang !!!!!

Double posted again. I know it must be my fault. My boss says we don't have any bad equipment. Even this computer.

edit on 28-9-2018 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

hahahah well aye even the blade counts! its like 1mm or 2mm thickness meaning if you dont measure again , you lose that from the overall length each time , so it gets progressively shorter

we call that a midgies baw hair in scotland !

still its enough to throw out all the dimensions of your build

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Since I basically restored our 1871 Victorian myself I can probably give some tips.

Like don't do it.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I think that this is a fantastic idea.

Given how many skills are being lost to time in this regard anyway, its probably wise to start a repository for the knowledge we retain on such matters.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Renovating an 1800 SF ranch, I'm at the stage finishing out the drywall T&B. Question, do I primer the ceiling before blowing on the texture?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CADpro

Texture?!? Like a popcorn ceiling? Jesus H, I spent hours scraping that stuff off of the plaster.

edit on 28-9-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Given how many skills are being lost to time in this regard anyway, its probably wise to start a repository for the knowledge we retain on such matters.

I'm not worried, we can get the AI robots to do it for us right before they wipe us out.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Heh...

Thats as maybe, but I get the feeling that employing AI to do much of anything worth doing, is going to be out of most peoples price range for a good while yet. In fact, if too much more of the general workforce is replaced with robots, apps, AI and the like, too quickly, its going to cause some people to be completely unable to afford a bag of sand and cement, leave alone an AI construction assistant.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Not popcorn but thinned down mud splatter blown with a gun/hopper. The reason I ask is because once the tape & bed is finished out I'd like to get the drywall protected either primer or the texture stage.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

For adhesion I would primer the ceiling first !
Dont want small parts cracking off with the building moving over time !

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Thanks...I saw this done in YT but there was no reason given why they primed before texture. THANKS !

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Sorry, I wouldn't know, I have plaster walls and ceilings. I spent my time removing the texture and repairing the cracks in the plaster.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I'm not worried, we can get the AI robots to do it for us right before they wipe us out.

Won't even have to do much about the AI, you know. In China they are already pumping houses out with a 3-D printer.

Come a long way since "Lincoln Logs" and "Tinker Toys".
I gave my old set of both of these to my grand sons last year. They looked at me like I was nuts. We, they do that anyway.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Aye , its not something that is clearly explained, any time you are applying one material to another, there needs to be some form of adhesion between the materials or surfaces! (this can get really technical as its all molecular chemistry - gets really intense if you are into emulsions ! )

Same with when you want to add fresh plaster to a wall , or to dry wall you need to cover the wall surface in bonding agent , so that the plaster adheres to the wall when it sets and doesn't just dry and then fall off in huge chunks!

Normally this would be a mix of PVA and water and just brush it onto the wall surface before adding your plaster!
this creates a bond between the two materials and protects against cracking when it dries , it gives the surface a degree of elasticity!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Seeing the positive feedback, I went ahead and reported my thread, that way mods will see it.

I appreciate the support guys n gals, I'd like to see this forum!

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Could this be implemented?

I know many people here have tips and tricks, and many people have a use for that knowledge.

Would/Could be a nice forum.

What do you all think?

Yes! I love that idea. Could we include other projects and threads in there like say for fixing Autos or ATVS or Motorcycles as well. Or would that be too much in one forum?

How to install a ceiling fan. How to build an outbuilding/garage. How to build your own basketball court. How to Solder.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Always remember if you are cutting using a still saw, or a bench saw, to take into account the loss from length from the blade thickness if you are repeating cuts

A still saw? A motionless saw doesn't seem like it would be much use. Even if hand powered.

The word is kerf.

edit on 9/29/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

May have meant Skill Saw.

edit on 29-9-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: forgot an L

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I had this strange UFO idea that involved an alien contour gauge and router bit set.
Every time traveling handyperson needs a set like this in their tool box.

Wait , You are serious?

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I'm in. I think it would be a great idea to add a DIY section

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join