It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicobacter pylori infections cause stomach problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Helicobacter pylori, or simply known as H. pylori, is a bacterium responsible for most cases of stomach and duodenal ulcers. The pathogen can also cause non-ulcer digestive problems.

If you often experience a stomach upset or indigestion, you'd better go to your doctor. A simple test can help your doctor determine whether you are infected with H. pylori or not. There are several tests for detection of H. pylori, such as blood test, stool test, breath test, or endoscopy. Some of these tests are designed to look for H. pylori antigens or antibodies against it in the body. For instance, ELISA kits -- a diagnostic tool -- have been used to detect IgA, IgM, and IgG antibodies to H. pylori in a sample such as a blood sample.

People infected with H. pylori are more likely to develop stomach cancer, according to epidemiologic studies. So if you test positive for the bacterium, therapeutic treatment may be necessary.

Infection of H. pylori is very common, especially in developing countries. It's estimated that about 50% of the world's population is infected with H. pylori. The bacterium is mainly found in the stomach and the intestine of affected patients.

H. pylori infection is highly contagious. Although scientists have not fully understood how it spreads, evidence suggests that it mainly transmitted via the fecal-oral route or possibly the oral-oral route.

How to avoid H. pylori infection? First of all, it must be pointed out that the exact transmission method of H. pylori remains largely unknown. There are no specific recommendations for prevention of H. pylori infection. To reduce your risk of getting infected by H. pylori, you'd better develop good hygienic and eating habits. For example, you can:

1. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating and after using the restroom
2. Avoid food or water that are not clean
3. Do not eat poorly cooked food.
4. Stop interacting with those infected.

Symptoms of H. pylori infection vary among patients. Some of the patients may never show any signs or symptoms. But others may experience a series of symptoms, which may include:

1. Abdomen pain
2. Nausea
3. Poor appetite
4. Frequent burping
5. Bloating
6. Vomiting
7. Weight loss for an unknown reason

If these symptoms frequently recur, or persist, or are severe, you should consult a doctor. If H. pylori infection does not cause problems, medical treatment may not be necessary. If the infection causes discomfort, there are many treatment regimens. Some of the drugs that are used in H. pylori treatment include:

1. Clarithromycin
2. Proton-pump inhibitors (PPI)
3. Metronidazole
4. Amoxicillin

What type of drug you receive depends on your past medical history and if you have allergies to any of these drugs. A follow-up test for H. pylori is critical after treatment, because it helps determine whether the bacteria are gotten rid of and whether you will need more rounds of treatment. About a fifth of patients with H. pylori infection is not cured after first round of treatment. So, it's important to take medicine as advised by the doctor.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I took the test a few months ago. You simply breathe into a plastic bag. Very easy and painless. I received the “all clear” from my doctor. It’s a good thing to know now that these things are so easily diagnosed and prevented.
edit on 2018/9/27 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I have a hiatus hernia!

It's a wonderful, joyous thing to behold.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Well, break out the coconut oil or monolaurin tablets. You really do not need much of the supplement.

Here is an article about monolaurin which shows it's effect with H-pilori. The discussion area summarizes it.

aac.asm.org...

There are other scientific articles addressing this subject showing that monolaurin helps too.

Coconut oil needs a lipase to be converted to monolaurin. If you consume a proteinase at the same time, it can break apart the lipase, which is an enzyme that breaks down lipids or fats. Enzymes are often proteinases, so bromelain or pineapple should be taken hours apart from coconut oil. Monolaurin is already converted so no lipase is needed to convert it. Other things like grapefruit, onions, and food containing papain can shut down the conversion temporarily also. Proteinases are usually not heat stable so canned pineapple or cooked onions is not a problem. Pasteurized grapefruit juice or pineapple juice has little proteinase left in it.

edit on 27-9-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the info.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Had it. Took some really strong antibiotics for it.

Chances are pretty good that you may have it.

Though, the OP is overhyped quite a bit. The chance for cancer is extremely minimal and not fully known. H pylori is one of those bacteria that act as a symbiote. It can stop you from getting heartburn because it doesn't like acid all that much and is very evasive towards it by negating it. It's beneficial for most by keeping you from certain diseases yet bad for some.

For 'few' people, it's the other way around. If you have stomach issues, you'll probably show positive for it, but... If you have it, chances are, you won't know until you see a doctor and have a test done. A huge majority will not show any effects.
edit on 27-9-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bioproab

Good info.

I had it a couple of years ago from ibuprofen and lost 60 pounds, it was hard to get back to a healthy weight.

If anyone has any of the symptoms they need to get it checked out and no, coconut oil will not get rid of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

you got it from ibuprofen? How is that possible?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Most people deal with h p but their body fights it easily so no harm but with taking ibuprofen over the years for R.A
it caused a peptic ulcer for the h p to infect.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Most people deal with h p but their body fights it easily so no harm but with taking ibuprofen over the years for R.A
it caused a peptic ulcer for the h p to infect.

ohhhhhhh I see now. I was confused. I thought he said Hp came from the ibuprofen... lol

I'm going back to youtube surfing!

(post by chiroden removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join