It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media is "The Cancer of Our Time" - Says the Owner of the LA Times Newspaper.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
They say that constant interaction with electronics and social media can rewire the brain. But if not for technology, what then? What would people be filling their time with?

I can see both sides of the curse, but I would have never had the chance to read so many conspiracy theories or alternate points of view on this reality if it weren't for technology. Maybe once again it is not the tool, but the person using it. If these zombies had their devices and digital social media fans removed, then what? Would they actually become interactive with this reality or just find something else to black out their lives with?

It would be nice to see some analytics on why people choose to fill their time up with certain activities.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Carrier Pigeon Breeder Calls Telephone "Cancer of Our Time"

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
It would be nice to see some analytics on why people choose to fill their time up with certain activities.

Just trying to pass the time and amuse ourselves while subsequently ignoring and waiting for our inevitable horrific demise.

EDIT: I've thought about this also. People used to play a lot of cards. And board games. Chess. Lots of pointless chess. My mom used to crochet. I remember a day when office workers, secretaries and the like, used to read paperbacks and other things at their desks between tasks. Men used to whittle. Women would sew and cook. People sometimes worry about what we'll do when the robots do all of our jobs for us. Well, it kind of has already happened.
edit on 27-9-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I joke that social media is second only to the atomic bomb in destructive potential.

It's a small joke.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Exactly, we used to play massive amounts of spades and whist in college which was much better than studying at the time. But I used to think technology was causing massive harm in the avoidance of reality or used to just pass the time. How did the pursuits of yesteryear elevate us compared to the activities of today? Maybe it is all a matter of balance and when you avoid reality, say in being not so self sufficient or self reliant, does it matter what the activity is?

I read somewhere that our current technology is shortening attention spans, but maybe I misread the article. Is technology destructive? Is it more addictive than previous activities? Is being a socialite and constantly interacting with others beneficial. Maybe being a loner and avoiding superficial people produces more personal growth over time?

At the heart of it, we are still just passing time. We are just trying to escape to a certain degree. Does it really matter the method?

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join