It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media is "The Cancer of Our Time" - Says the Owner of the LA Times Newspaper.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

This interview with Los Angeles Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong is filled with ironies. For instance:

The billionaire LA Times owner calls social media the 'cancer of our time'

-Patrick Soon-Shiong advocates for a change in how people consume news on social media.

-Social platforms may have revolutionized how people get information, but they've also been criticized for spreading "fake news."

-"The short attention span we're creating in this millennium is actually very dangerous," says the owner of the LA Times.
More at: www.cnbc.com...

These statements, coming from someone who uses Social Media several times a day, is totally illogical.

How do you stop social media platforms from allowing "fake news"!? The LA Times was a HUGE generator of fake news articles during our last Presidential Election cycle. They fabricated anti-Trump stories that were waaaay over the top.

Maybe the Los Angeles Times is a "cancer" of our time, Mr. Soon-Shiong.

-CareWeMust

edit on 9/26/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This person doesn't even realize he and others like him are part of the fake news event. It is not just regular people, it is the news agencies that are spreading misinterpretted info and twisted information.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Well, he kinda has a point. Just for all the wrong reasons. But it is. "Social media" is more like a disease than anything positive. I'd almost rather have an STD than a Facebook account. LOL

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Well he is right as social media is a cancer for established news sources.. I hope CNN has stage 4

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
This person doesn't even realize he and others like him are part of the fake news event. It is not just regular people, it is the news agencies that are spreading misinterpretted info and twisted information.

And they saturate their print and broadcast media with it. Important/real news that matters to most of us is found on platforms like ATS, Blogs, and Non-MSM outlets...like Breitbart, Vox, etc..

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   
He's right.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

After what I've read here on ATS about Facebook, I'm glad that I never registered as a user.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Well he is right as social media is a cancer for established news sources.. I hope CNN has stage 4

I'm with you 100% there. Tonight, Anderson Cooper spent an hour dissecting President Trump's 80 minute press briefing for lies. I don't think CNN has any pro-Trump talking heads on its payroll. And I wish they'd take Sheppard Smith away from FoxNews.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
He's right.

You seem to enjoy the "cancer", 3NL..... You post on this ATS social media platform frequently.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Saying what though? You don't see anyone else saying what I say around here. Most people are glued to the narrative and obsessed with proving they are right.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Saying what though? You don't see anyone else saying what I say around here. Most people are glued to the narrative and obsessed with proving they are right.

Making your points, using a few words as possible. You're the Clint Eastwood type.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
People have always been this way, social media just put it under the microscope.

What is really eating this guy is that he is a typical left-brained (talking about the actual brain, not political bent) control freak that is angry because he and his cohorts lost control of the narrative.

I get really pissed off at these types of people talking about using algorithms and deciding what information people should and shouldn't have access to. We've already seen this power abused on multiple platforms and it is against everything every sane, rational human being should stand for like free speech and the free flow of information like libraries for example. And believe me, I was practically raised in a library and groups came after them about what materials they should and shouldn't have on the shelves all the time. Except back then it was usually the religious, social conservative right and now it has morphed into the illiberal authoritarian left that has lost their damn minds. We beat back and marginalized the social conservatives and now the time has come to do the same with the illiberal left.

Let people have access to all kinds of information and let them decide for themselves who to believe or what the information means to them. If you find that people are being purposefully misled by a particular source then talk to them about it in a civil manner. Ask them questions about how they came to these conclusions or why the believe what they believe.

I find it deeply sad that the illiberal left is so void of ideas and cogent arguments these days that they felt they had to censor someone like Alex Jones instead of simply sitting him down and challenging his fallacies. I mean, the fruit doesn't get much lower hanging than Alex Jones. I guess, unless you are the new illiberal left that is.
edit on 27-9-2018 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I did a thread on this a long while back. Facebook cofounder Sean Parkwr sums it up nicely "we created a monster".
nypost.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I call it fakebook.

It is nothing but a “look at me!” Platform for people to pretend their lives are perfect.

It’s for people to brag ,”hey look at my new car”!

“Look at our awesome vacation pictures”!

“Look at this crap I’m eating for supper!”

“Look at our ugly newborn baby!” On and on.

Just once, I wanna see a real post by someone.
Something along the lines of, “well I got fired for stealing from work, pretty sure the ol lady is cheating on me, and my dumb kid just got his third DUI.”

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Well, he kinda has a point. Just for all the wrong reasons. But it is. "Social media" is more like a disease than anything positive. I'd almost rather have an STD than a Facebook account. LOL

Heh, well, once you get either, you can never really get rid of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

The LA Times is a liberal rag,part of NWO,they want to control how news is being fed to the sheeple that watch the boob tube,now people are wising up,not everyone was taught the"new math" many can think for themselves

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The LA times was the one of the few that actually had a credible poll on the 2016 election.

www.latimes.com...

They got issues but not as massive as Cnn and Msnbc and the rest of main stream shillin.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
As my wife would say, hes not wrong.

For every one person the internet helps in a positive way there are 10 people posting cat videos.

I like Facebook to keep in touch with out of state friends and family. It's great to keep in touch without trying to find time for phone calls.

But yesterday I saw a post about a lost dog that someone shared,,, the post was dated 2 years ago.

Throw in all the false political posts that people dont fact check.

Yeah, hes not wrong.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

LA itself is a cancer to the USA, world.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
He isn't wrong. If the internet disappeared tomorrow, it would be the greatest thing to ever happen to humanity. Hell, if only the social media aspect of the internet disappeared tomorrow, the entire world would be a better place almost instantly.

<<   2 >>

join