It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

food cost, the doom and gloom of the poor that will hit the bins for food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Yeah, need a metal detector to sort through them.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Stuff doesn't cost that much even if you shop Whole Paycheck and refuse to work the sales!

Last week at the store summer stone fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines) was going for $1.88/lb. We don't generally shop watermelon at the grocery. We head to the farmers market for it, so prices vary, but generally under $10 for a nice, ripe big 'un, usually between $4 and $7 depending on variety and size.

Berries were nice and cheap although out of season too this last week and Gala Apples were around $1.69/lb because apples are just coming into season.

Also acorn and butternut squash are coming into season so they're less than a a buck a lb too.

Shop seasonal and shop the sales and fruits and veggies are always fairly reasonable.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: musicismagic

Watermelon is $5 at the walmart I shop at. 1 peach is .79c.

Where do you live?

In Tokyo Japan

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

You can get strawberries for free here but you have to pick the needles out.

bally

I heard that, its very big news in Asia. People think now that the lunies will start doing it over here too. Sad.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Peaches run about a buck a pound here at the fruit stand and in some supermarkets. A big watermelon costs about seven bucks now, they were about four bucks everywhere when they were on sale. I don't know where you live OP, but here food is reasonable. Wages are not very high here though, that keeps the cost down at the store.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: TinySickTears

I Live In A Van Down By The River!

[/Chris Farley]

what do you do for gasoline?
do you have flat tires

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Don’t you live in japan? Why are you telling us what our food cost when you don’t even live here in the states? I just got a watermelon for four dollars. Peaches for about $.80 each. But you know what? They grow these things right here. Not much agricultural land in Japan is there? Perhaps your observations Only count for there. You know like where your eyes are.

I travel many places around the world, so my eyes are that of a world traveler... Thanks for your observations of one that has no clue on prices that effect ones hunger. Have you ever gone on the streets of LA on skid row, them poor souls don't even know what a peach looks like.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: TinySickTears

I Live In A Van Down By The River!

[/Chris Farley]

what do you do for gasoline?
do you have flat tires

I give inspirational speeches for money. I talk to the youth to let them understand that they don't want to live in a van down by the river.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
food cost have gone up but not bye that much where talking overall 10 to 15 a week for me and thats in 5 years nothing id consider bankrupting

but if u only eat organic grass feed meat and organic produce yea the prices are going up ... that happens when supply is lower than demand

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
in Australia
I saw an article is is such a big deal...it happened in different areas so a group spread out is responsible or some copy cats ..the price dropped so low they can't afford to have anyone pick them out of the fields.

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Woodcarver

Somebody put needles in strawberries in Australia
Oh. I hadn’t heard about that. That is some monstrous #.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

From what the near future holds,I would be buying up cans of food to prepare for whatever disaster is headed towards us,those cans will look like gold to a starving person

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I had two friends from Czechoslovakia in the early eighties that escaped, a third shot and killed. They wasted Nothing. I was amazed to find, anything that produced a seed or stone was kept and grown on their property here in the US. Tomatoes, citrus, every odd vegetable, anything they could propagate.

Many a time I had an outstanding Goulash with them. Our Grandparents likewise grew their own. But we are to spoiled to offer the effort these days.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, peaches at the height of season will run around that everywhere here.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Don’t you live in japan? Why are you telling us what our food cost when you don’t even live here in the states? I just got a watermelon for four dollars. Peaches for about $.80 each. But you know what? They grow these things right here. Not much agricultural land in Japan is there? Perhaps your observations Only count for there. You know like where your eyes are.

Have you ever gone on the streets of LA on skid row, them poor souls don't even know what a peach looks like.

They may not know what a peach looks like. But I bet they know what crack and heroin look like. No one in this country is currently going homeless because of food prices.

If you cook your own food. You can eat really well, for a very reasonable price. If all you eat is processed and/or pre-cooked food, well, cooks gotta eat too.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

If I were you I would be more worried about radiation in my food.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Don't you hate it when someone cooks food and calls it yummy, but you truly know it's nothing more than bad case of diabetes and/or heart attack.
Damn Puerto Ricans............

edit on 27-9-2018 by Pinocchio because: Damn Puerto Ricans....

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

It really is starting hit in American cities that the food bins or free give-a-way food for the needy is at a all time low. The cost of food now is not cheap according to the wage that the low/high income worker makes.
Ex. here in this country 2 peaches cost 6 USD, yep you read it right. A watermelon will set you back 29 bucks. These prices are no different in America based on a worker making low wages. Just can't afford to basically get by.
I think with all the migration of rich people coming to America brought their greed with them. What do you guys think?

Ive never seen a watermelon sell for 29 bucks out of season much less in season. Same with peaches.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I travel many places around the world, so my eyes are that of a world traveler... Thanks for your observations of one that has no clue on prices that effect ones hunger. Have you ever gone on the streets of LA on skid row, them poor souls don't even know what a peach looks like.
Yes, i have seen many homeless people. All of them had the option to move to a place that is less expensive to live. A lot of people are choosing homelessness as a lifestyle though. That can clearly be demonstrated by the millions of jobs available that are being ignored.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join