It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35B combat debut reportedly imminent

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Cool. Glad to see its sooner than later.

Is it me or is that external gun pod ugly as sin?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
God this is priceless. "The F-35 is a POS because it's never flown in combat."

Flies a combat mission.

"So it flew in uncontested airspace, on a mission a Cessna could have done, so some general could check a box. What a POS."

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've also heard "it hasn't seen combat! needs to fight air to air for REAL combat!"

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It's hysterical to see the goalpost movement from the haters, as more and more boxes get checked.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Reuters.com - Lockheed F-35 jet used by U.S. in combat for first time: official.

Not sure how it can be "official" with an "anonymous source" but the fact Reuters has this out within the last three hours, I guess its official!!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Pentagon confirmed it.

www.militarytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: anzha

It's hysterical to see the goalpost movement from the haters, as more and more boxes get checked.

Haven't move it an inch. My issues with with the F-35 resolve around the USAF protecting the airframe at all costs including trying to kill off the A-10 etc. The tests, the USMC's rush to declare IOC when it was a bit sketchy at that time etc.

My ire is also directed at the BS procurement process too but you get the idea

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

That VL is pretty sweet!

I know it is not from the mission but a demo, it is still pretty cool! Looks like the photo from the flight deck itself shows it to be night during the actual mission.

Probably for missions, the answer is 'yes' but do they still do vertical landings in the dark?

Probably answering my own question, they have all kinds of cool tech to "see" in the dark and instrument assistance. Just like backing up my SUV with a boat trailer attached!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Sorry, but as much as I love the A-10, its time has passed. You're not going to see waves of tanks or armored vehicles coming through Fulda Gap anymore. We don't need 1500 aircraft, we need a smaller, more mobile, more effective force, which means getting rid of aircraft. As good as the A-10 is, we don't need to be dumping hundreds of millions trying to keep it around for another 30 years.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I hear you but we keep hearing the USAF tout the F-35 as the answer to CAS. They tried (and are trying) to kill off a mission that is still needed without a realistic replacement in sight.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

And they're also using B-2s for CAS, along with B-52s, B-1s, and just about every tactical platform in the inventory. CAS isn't what it used to be with almost everything being PGM now. The F-35 will be as good as everything else out there at CAS.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Thats presumed on a conflict against peer or near peer adversary. As opposed to the Taliban or ISIS which would need perhaps a different platform that truly is close instead of a BUFF etc. Also aircraft like that are cheaper to operate etc.

Again not the A-10 but they do need to find a credible CAS platform for this Edit to add: Maybe even the new TX.............

If the USAF does not want the CAS job (Im not convinced they ever wanted it) why not modify the Key West Agreement to reflect that and let the Army take over the role.

That way they can concentrate on Space etc.
edit on 9/27/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

That's not CAS, that's COIN, which is a totally different ballgame. The A-10 is a lousy COIN platform and doesn't fit there either.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

That's not CAS, that's COIN, which is a totally different ballgame. The A-10 is a lousy COIN platform and doesn't fit there either.

I know the difference and agree that the A-10 would not be a good COIN platform but the T-X should be capable perhaps not initially of A2G. COIN is still undecided from my understanding

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

No matter how you slice it, it's time to get rid of aircraft. The two best positioned to take the hit are the F-15 and A-10. I love both, but it's time to downsize them, and pretty drastically.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

The case for the F-15 staying is much stronger. They have that sexy missile truck thing going for them.............

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
just popping in to mention there seems to be an uptick in the f-35a's training out of Luke fwiw.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Except for the fact that it's going to cost a few hundred million to replace the wing that's about to time out, not to mention the longerons that still haven't been replaced.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

They've added a couple countries to the fleet.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

a reply to: howmuch4another

They've added a couple countries to the fleet.

Someones going to have to take those Turkish birds (j/k)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join