It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Southern California; Wettest Year in a Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Devastating rains have caused severe flooding, mudslides and have wreaked havoc on Southern California. In the past week, Southern California has seen over 9.14 inches of rain, normally the L.A. area has an average of 15 inches of rain for the entire year. Arizona has also seen heavy rains and is expecting to see some of this current system as it makes it way east. More rain is forecasted for Southern California by next week.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The deaths of nine people had been blamed on the series of storms that started last week, including one man who was killed by a falling eucalyptus tree and a teenage girl crushed by rocks that crashed into her bedroom.

While more rain fell overnight, and up to an inch was expected in some areas by day's end, the National Weather Service said that the region was due for a break as the wet weather moved eastward. To the east, two days or more of rain was forecast in already wet Arizona.

More than 9 inches in a week
The average yearly rainfall in downtown Los Angeles is about 15 inches, but the total just since last Thursday reached 9.14 inches as of Wednesday morning.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are you seeing the big picture yet? Have the number of "worst in years" "worst in a century" comments begun to sink in yet? Avalanches and harsh winter in Asia, flooding in South America and abnormal conditions across the country. Our climate is changing, in some areas more suddenly and drastic than others, but all the signs are there that Global warming is indeed occuring.

Related News Stories
Cleanup Begins After Calif. Storms Kill 9

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Cold Winter Kills Hundreds Across India and Nearby Regions

[edit on 2-23-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yeah it's been pretty crazy out here in L.A., though it's shining sun and blue skies for the moment (just a few herds of fluffy clouds) I think another batch of rain is coming.

Thunder and lightning woke me out of a dead sleep the another.

Cool big purple flashes but annoying becausse they kept waking me they were so bright and the thunder so loud.

Being on the top floor of the building probably isn't helping.

I don't know that our climate is changing so much as just going through an odd period, I think it happens all the time, in geolgogical terms anyway

Spiderj

[edit on 2/23/2005 by Spiderj]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Climate-wise I think we're in for some interesting stuff in the near future. But I'm a flatlander, so when people say that they were awake all night from thunder, I say "Heh, Thunderstorms help me sleep, they're relaxing like a steady rain". And when people say that they had a tornado nearby, I just shrug it off. I've personally seen 6 tornados and have taken cover from at LEAST 20 tornado warning sirens. Oh, the joys of living on the tip of the "tornado belt"... I'm sure others from Kansas, etc have even more stories to tell.
Anyway, my point is that I think a lot of weird things are going on in the weather... prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I keep a go-bag w/ about a week's food and other essentials for "just in case", but I digress...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Ahh well suck it up. Im in Florida and I am sure we can expect some more hurricanes to ravage our land this season
Seems like Tampa florida always gets the least of it though. Maybe Central Command over here at Macdill Airforce Base has something to do with it

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hey don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. I was just saying it's not something we're used to.

Steady rain we're used to, thunder and lightning you just don't get much in L.A., especially this intense.

I'm also not saying this is something apocolyptic, just some years are worse than others.

A couple of years ago it seems the rains were this bad or almost. Just not the intense thunder and lightning.

Spiderj

[edit on 2/24/2005 by Spiderj]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
My intent wasn't to say that your area isn't having a hard time they weren't prepared for. I'm sure being in a desert-ish region and having a lot of rain and t-storms and tornados is an oddity out on the west coast. I was just trying to say "That particular kind of weather (heavy rain, Thunderstorms, and tornados), doesnt really shock me a whole lot because where I live, we deal with all that *every* spring.
In short, I'm sorry that all that junk is hapening out there, but I'm used to it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hey harmless,

Don't get me wrong, I didn't take a offense to the statement, but thanks for clearing it up anyway.

Thunderstorms for you is like earthquakes for us, I don't even get out of bed during an earthquake unless stuff starts falling off the walls.

I think between the fires and extreme rain the hillsides are just wrecked.

SPiderj

new topics

top topics

join