It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maniac. new Netflix series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
anyone start this yet?

this is a weird show man. dark comedy. set in an alternate universe. things are just a little different.

i am on episode 3. Jonah and Emma are doing a fantastic job.

i highly recommend this one

www.imdb.com...

Two strangers are drawn to a mysterious pharmaceutical trial that will, they're assured, with no complications or side-effects whatsoever, solve all of their problems, permanently. Things do not go as planned.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It was like watching paint dry. Emma was fine but Jonah was awful-stilted and zero acting. Finally forced myself to finish it-and that was painful. Kept thinking it would get better-nada.
edit on 25-9-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
It was like watching paint dry. Emma was fine but Jonah was awful-stilted and zero acting. Finally forced myself to finish it-and that was painful. Kept thiking it would get better-nada.

damn.
im loving it

i think Jonah is doing a great job.

i like the purple chess playing koala bear.

show is definitely weird.

i like the female doctor

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I agree with JustSo. I liked the first couple episodes but disappointed overall. I'd like to tell you why but i'm sure you don't want spoilers.

Jonah Hill was not the right person to play that character. I don't know what happened to Jonah Hill but he looked like he's been smoking for 20 years. Last time i saw him in a movie he was chubby and freshfaced.

Emma Stone's acting/character was great in the show and IMO she made it worth watching.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

yeah i dont want spoilers on this one. thanks

with jonah you never know what you are going to get.

you could get 400lb whale jonah or 150lb addict jonah and anything in between

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Going to watch episode 3 tonight.
I really like it so far.

The imagery is amazing.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
Going to watch episode 3 tonight.
I really like it so far.

The imagery is amazing.

yeah its pretty cool

episode 4 is next up for me. had to wrench on the car a little bit tonight so i couldnt watch.

its definitely different

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

5 episodes in. Started getting weird, even more weird than the beginning. I’ll give it a few more but it got kind of boring.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Jonah Hill is like the poster child for weight fluctuations for his roles,the guy bounces his weight all over.
It’s like he gets fat for fun.
a reply to: EchoesInTime

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Just finished #4 myself. Wish I had the time to just binge watch it until the end.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Watching it myself too.

Binged 7 eps last night. I'm liking it, tho it can get super loopy. I did read it was either loved or hated when checking it out but im not hating it!
edit on 25-9-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
It was like watching paint dry. Emma was fine but Jonah was awful-stilted and zero acting.

I've only watched the first 2 eps so far but felt the opposite, I some what enjoyed the despondent acting of Jonah, but Emma I found harder to watch and less convincing as a crazy person.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

I agree with JustSo. I liked the first couple episodes but disappointed overall. I'd like to tell you why but i'm sure you don't want spoilers.

Jonah Hill was not the right person to play that character. I don't know what happened to Jonah Hill but he looked like he's been smoking for 20 years. Last time i saw him in a movie he was chubby and freshfaced.

Emma Stone's acting/character was great in the show and IMO she made it worth watching.

Jonah lost weight and has excess/stretched skin. Plus he was made to look beat down for the role. Some parts were a little boring with his dreary personality. I thought he acted well though.
edit on 25-9-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I really hope Netflix makes more shows like this.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
the creator of this show wrote the new IT movie and produced True Detective for HBO. The latter being one of the best first seasons of a show I've ever seen. So I dove right into Maniac.

Has a weird retro-future vibe to it. Had to force myself to get through the first couple of episodes, but after that I really started to enjoy it immensely. The visuals and cinematography are amazing. Haven't found any issue with Jonah or Emma's acting. Love the Rolodex of different characters they've played so far in the show. There's a lot of symbolism and philosophy to unpack with this show.

I'm up to episode 6. Just finished the seance episode and that had a great creepy dark vibe to it. Like a Halloween episode almost. Each episode after the first couple seems to be it's own little entity, but still tied into the main theme.

Looking forward to finishing the season and seeing what the ending has in store. Kinda feels almost like Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind. If you liked that movie I think you'd definitely like this show.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
double post

edit on 26-9-2018 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

I agree with season 1 of true detective

Amazing

Rustin cole is a great character

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Now that I've finished the show, I have to say I completely disagree with all the negative reviews.

It was a great story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's sad that there won't be a continuation of it, but this is one time I believe that would be utterly superfluous. It needs no more, and it would take from the story, in my opinion.

Good show, loved it.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

WTF am I watching ? I can only describe this show with a question.

How the F do you make a horrible tv show with a great premise and mostly good actors not acting very well?

Hint: the answer is in the series MANIAC. Wow , such good potential , a golden premise , and good cast but all wasted and dragged out. Somehow they managed to capture the essence of watching a train wreck. Its not easy to watch and stay with it.

The only reason i'm sticking with it is because the premise is great and once I start a scifi show its hard for me to stop watching it. Everything else in between the premise sucks.

But thanks for suggesting it nonetheless I love me SciFi even the horrible stuff, lol

edit on 431031America/ChicagoWed, 03 Oct 2018 09:43:09 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join