It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some inspiring words, from our founders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
These words ring particularly true today as they have throughout history. The universal and unalienable declaration of human rights, national sovereignty and independence is something that should be studied in every public school and read during each school day's civics lesson.

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.— That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,— That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.— Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States

Source: Declaration of Independence, United States

Here is the full document text: www.archives.gov...
edit on 9/25/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Important writing from old times

A salute to them old boys
edit on 25-9-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In my 40s, I'm technically still a young man. In 2018, I feel like an old geezer staggering around muttering to myself and shooing away the imaginary swarm of angry bees buzzing around my head.

Inspiring? I'm having a hard time being inspired to do anything but take a big dump and imagine I'm flushing my worries away at the same time. LOL

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

With all due respect; just what is the point of this thread?

I'm not denying that they are wise words and they are obviously very, very important to all self-respecting Americans.

I get that and fully respect that....but what's up for discussion here?

That it should be studied in US schools - I honestly thought it was?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

With all due respect; just what is the point of this thread?

I'm not denying that they are wise words and they are obviously very, very important to all self-respecting Americans.

I get that and fully respect that....but what's up for discussion here?

That it should be studied in US schools - I honestly thought it was?

Well, I guess we could have a discussion on the values of now and then.
A discussion about a time when our Government held these values. Now it is just part of the citizenry.
I guess we could discuss how it changed.
Why it changed.
What we can do about it.
As well as our own feelings about what Is posted in the OP.
Just to start of with, of course.
S&F OP.
Quad

edit on 25-9-2018 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

"Here's to the men who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right."

~ National Treasure

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Unfortunately today, there are laws that prevent us from following and upholding the original law.

Sad isn't it...

We see the problem, we see what was written is now today what they fought against then, yet today we are powerless against it. There are only two choices. Suffer it or die fighting it, because any mortal man who tries will certainly be killed or imprisoned.

I guess we let it take over and now we're simply defeated and a part of it. We feed it less we ourselves go hungry. Who are we that we can rise up against it? What might and power is strong enough to stand against it, defeat it and leaving it powerless so the meek can once again rebuild and find that Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness men once dreamed of?

We might not like the answer and we may very much fear the outcome. Careful what we wish for... we might just get it but not in the manner we hoped.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

I know this is a simplistic answer, but in a nutshell what has changed is corruption. I know there has always been corruption but it is now at a point where it is becoming hard to function. Self interest, control and greed are the seeds with no guiding ethical ideals has permeated every facet of government.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Unfortunately today, there are laws that prevent us from following and upholding the original law.

Sad isn't it...

We see the problem, we see what was written is now today what they fought against then, yet today we are powerless against it. There are only two choices. Suffer it or die fighting it, because any mortal man who tries will certainly be killed or imprisoned.

I guess we let it take over and now we're simply defeated and a part of it. We feed it less we ourselves go hungry. Who are we that we can rise up against it? What might and power is strong enough to stand against it, defeat it and leaving it powerless so the meek can once again rebuild and find that Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness men once dreamed of?

We might not like the answer and we may very much fear the outcome. Careful what we wish for... we might just get it but not in the manner we hoped.

Your post is beautiful, sad and rings of truth. I used to criticize those that didn't rail against the injustices and waste in government. Now, I look at myself and my years of anguish and what was it really for? Anguish and anger for the sake of anguish and anger? I could have just accepted the inevitable and been the happier for it.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

Sad isn't it...

Your post is beautiful, sad and rings of truth. I used to criticize those that didn't rail against the injustices and waste in government. Now, I look at myself and my years of anguish and what was it really for? Anguish and anger for the sake of anguish and anger? I could have just accepted the inevitable and been the happier for it.

No you wouldn't have. It would have still eaten away at you as it still does, with those like us, even now.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal

Total and utter twaddle.

All men are born equal ? Unless you were born into slavery that is.

How your Founders had the sheer nerve to write that God only knows.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium

originally posted by: pointessa

Sad isn't it...

No you wouldn't have. It would have still eaten away at you as it still does, with those like us, even now.

Pointessa, Thank you for the kind words. They are most appreciated!

Quadrivium, Agreed.

I don't know what's worse... Being able to recognize it or simply knowing no matter what we can dream up, we are powerless against it. The hardest part about it is knowing it's there and wanting to do something about it because deep inside, giving up is impossible, yet what we face is just as impossible. It's that one thing that's part of our being that we will fight to the death to preserve yet there is no longer that extended hand reaching down to grasp ours and lift us up out of the mud so we can push forward once more.

It's just frustration without any real release. It's not giving in... It's just secluded to an ongoing internal scream but doing our best to keep our head above the water. One day... maybe. One day.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal

Total and utter twaddle.

All men are born equal ? Unless you were born into slavery that is.

How your Founders had the sheer nerve to write that God only knows.

It was a different time.
People were bought and sold because they were thought to be little better than animals. Sadly, atrocities happen.
Imagine in 200 years what will be said about abortion and the # of lives lost.
My point is even then you had people who knew it was wrong and probably felt the same as what Stallionduck beautifully described in his above post.

new topics

top topics

join