It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Weapons under U.S. Interstates?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
My brother and I were riding in the car the other day on our way to a funeral. And so we got to talking about government conspiracies. As usual, as much as I love aircraft, I got onto the subject of that and then he hit me with something. He said, "I think that the government has things like laser beams and possible various missiles under the interstates".

I really did think about this and my conclusion came to be that this may be true. After all, the Interstate is for Government and National Emergency uses. Until this happens though, civilians are allowed to use these roadways.

Any Ideas?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Its an interesting thought. Maybe this is why we have more than double the next top nation in Major highway Kilometers.
Here is a link:

www.nationmaster.com...

Carburetor

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by creamsoda
He said, "I think that the government has things like laser beams and possible various missiles under the interstates".

[...]

Any Ideas?

I think that is unlikely. With the number of people working on interstates, and having the construction right out in the open (for spy sattelites to see) it would make very little sense. Not to mention that you would have to move huge, heavy sections of roadway to uncover the weapons.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars51
I think that is unlikely. With the number of people working on interstates, and having the construction right out in the open (for spy sattelites to see) it would make very little sense. Not to mention that you would have to move huge, heavy sections of roadway to uncover the weapons.

Well if you think about it , its quite sensible..
Who would nuke a road?
Or hit it with a very high powered exsplosive?
No one, a waste of munitions.
BUT keep something deep under there and you have a perfect shield...no one would really know it was there until used.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Well if you think about it , its quite sensible..
Who would nuke a road?
Or hit it with a very high powered exsplosive?
No one, a waste of munitions.

I think that roads are a perfectly good target. Take out a bunch of sections of US interstate and you can greatly impact their ability to wage war.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In the case of a major land invasion......the interstates would actually be quite valuable as we could move mass equipment very quickly from one coast to another. If an enemy were to sever the major interstates at the right points..........it would make it difficult for the US to use them to transport their equipment and fuel.

However it is most unlikely that anyone will be dumb enought to invade. Also i agree that it is unlikely that anything special is being hidden under those interstates. The biggest reason they were built was from a presidential vision that would greatly suppliment the surging US economy. Transportation plays a huge role in getting our goods where we need them.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That is a good reason Mr Carburetor... I did not think about economy

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Creamsoda.... it was a very creative topic and is good to keep people thinking!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Of course, the highways are designed to be used as runways in emergencies. One mile out of every five is supposed to be straight so it can be used to land or take off a plane. From an airplane it's pretty easy to see. Now, I can't be sure about this, but if there were munitions caches under the highways, in my mind it would be more convenient to locate them somewhere close to the runway zones, since those are places that might be converted into airbases in an emergency.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Heat generating equipment or military defense technology can be easily spotted from the air or satellites with infared technology. The best place to hide such devices would be under blacktop. The interstates are mostly concrete but they still absorb heat from the sun, and high volume of traffic like 18 wheelers, trucks & cars. Heat generating equipment could be easily hidden beneath the interstates or Walmart parking lots, airport run ways etc, because of the opportunity of camoflaugeof there heat signals.
Just a thought.

apc

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
As mentioned many lengths of interstate are suitable for aircraft use in an emergency. This includes bombers. Because of this, any stretch of reasonably straight interstate with a length of 7000ft or more (this number may have been updated with modern bomber aircraft technologies) is considered a primary target for surface blast nuclear detonation (cratering).

I too highly doubt anything widespread is concealed beneath the blacktop... any machinery or equipment would need regular servicing. How would workers get to them? Tunnels under the rest of the highway? Where's the sinkholes from the likely failed sections? Sure anything is possible. There may be one highway somewhere that in a specified event the top cranks open in a giant display of mechanic marvel and out pops a half dozen super-special ICBMs, but a radio dish to communicate with Cheronians is more likely.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If anything they would put the weapons on residential property disguised as houses or in forests or something. Not under roads, because roads you need to use to get around, unless you had some serious heavy equipment and resources to make roads yourself, you arent going anywhere if the roads are broken.

apc

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is specific to missile sites, but during the cold war there were many projects involving the concealment and disguise of silos. The idea proved ineffective as the whole point of having nuclear weapons is to make sure the enemy knows you have them, and can see them. Here in the midwest it is a common occurance to be in the middle of 'nowhere' and see a shack (elevator) in the middle of a large fenced-in field.

This doesn't rule out the existance of concealed weapons systems, I'm sure there are many, but they probably aren't nukes.

Atleast not ICBMs...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The reason we have so much in the way of roadway is because we are the largest wealthy nation in the world. The inconvineance of storing weapons under heavily trafficed interstate highways more than offsets the potential benifits, especially when most of the considered weapon systems would be considered 'emergency use.'

new topics

top topics

join