It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extraction of natural resources in states - % of revenue should be given to the citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
IDK how many states provide some kind of subsidy to their citizens for the extraction of minerals, "fossil fuels" etc, I know Alaska does or has - not sure if any other states do this - let us know if you know of any others.

My state went through a big natural gas boom years ago and it was a mad rush to get the sites producing and now they are running massive pipes through the state for transport of the gas. People hate it and anyone who speaks out against it is villanized it seems (the comment sections are horrible with personal attacks and endless assaults). People's lives are terribly disrupted by the construction and they get no benefit, only downsides while the massive corps make record profits.

There should be a mandatory minimum level of return that the companies need to pay the states for any extraction of natural resources. Let's just take 15% as a number. 15% of $1 billion would be $150 million which could be sent to the government and it could then be sent to the citizens as an extraction dividend or whatever. OR it could be better used as a tax credit where individuals could subtract their dividend from the amount of state tax owed to the gov -this way the state doesn't have to go through the entire process of issuing checks, mailing them, etc which is expensive relative to the amount issued (guess it depends on size of dividend and population).

Either way, I don't understand how this process keeps happening and the people don't benefit a bit from it. Have the state legislatures not thought about this or are they just paid off to not bring it up and keep the corporations rolling in the dough? This topic really seems criminal with regards to every state legislature that hasn't fought for proceeds from resource extraction for the population - it seems like a dereliction of duty IMHO.

IDK if there can be a federal mandate to state that there is a minimum amount that companies would need to pay for the natural resources but that would be the easiest way to get every state on some kind of footing where they have income from their own resources.

Does anyone recall if anything like this has ever been brought up in DC?
edit on 9 25 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
They pay a lot more than that in taxes...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

Can you provide proof that pertains to what the OP is speaking about?

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I was with ya til ya said "Give it to the government to disperse". That would not be a wise choice.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

The OP is talking about the company paying the state...they already do in state, local, and even federal taxes. It is the cost of being about to drill...they also have to pay for permits and other fees. There is no need to make them give more.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I was with ya til ya said "Give it to the government to disperse". That would not be a wise choice.

Well I'm open to alternatives. IDK a different way to handle it, I guess the company could disperse it, which is fine with me as well, and I would prefer it, but I would think that would be difficult to track though IDK.

I thought Alaska does it through a state check, but I'm not certain about this.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

The OP is talking about the company paying the state...they already do in state, local, and even federal taxes. It is the cost of being about to drill...they also have to pay for permits and other fees. There is no need to make them give more.

Oh really? So why do other countries (and even Alaska) have programs where citizens get an extraction fee for natural resources. you would think in the "greatest country on earth", the most technologically advanced, there would be plenty of room for profits from extraction of resources - considering it's been happening for 150+ years, it's a well understood procedure and isn't ground breaking science.

You sound more like a company shill than anything else.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
if it's government land, just lower my taxes, let me keep more of what i bust my butt to earn. . I don't need a hand out, I am a grown adult

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

Oh really? So why do other countries (and even Alaska) have programs where citizens get an extraction fee for natural resources. you would think in the "greatest country on earth", the most technologically advanced, there would be plenty of room for profits from extraction of resources - considering it's been happening for 150+ years, it's a well understood procedure and isn't ground breaking science.

That is funny!

Just as a guy, who works for a company where i see budget info, you would not believe how much we pay our state for the privledge of owning a business.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

That is funny!

Just as a guy, who works for a company where i see budget info, you would not believe how much we pay our state for the privledge of owning a business.

Is it a small business, or a large global Corp? I believe what you're saying, but you make the claims, now provide evidence for that claim.

top topics

join