It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could kerogen be used in paving the ground?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
NASA's Mars rover Curiosity recently found kerogen at Mojave and Confidence Hills (note 1). As the two places are flat (note 2), I wonder if the places were paved with material that contained kerogen.

Note 1: see paragraph 7 in phys.org...
Note 2: see photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Oh boy another one of these threads, much content, so tries! How is this different from your previous thread? Why would you think the ghosts of mars would want to pave anything? Or would use organic schmoo to pave with? I guess it’s not that much different than us using dinosaur squeezings on our roads but come on....

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FossilLin

I seem to have an answer: yes, some people once included raw oil shale in the mixture for paving road (note 1). Raw oil shale contains kerogen and bitumen. Nowadays bitumen is mainly used in paving roads.

Note 1: see paragraph 3 in books.google.com.tw...?&source=bl&ots=ViVgCkncvK&sig=Vt0E9aCDg2g2pEb5hDQk ZopZunY&hl=zh-TW&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiaotzx79XdAhUIErwKHcg-A9g4ChDoATADegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=Is%20kerogen%20used%20in%20pavement%3F&f=false

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Update on this subject: Martians Possibly Used Kerogen in Pavements.

Some people once used raw oil shale to pave roads on Earth (note 1). Oil shale contains kerogen (note 1), which was discovered by Curiosity rover at Mojave and Confidence Hills (note 2). The two localities look like thin, flat, ruined surfaces (note 3). So, it is possible that kerogen was used in paving the localities on Mars.

Note 1: See paragraphs 3, 4, 5 in
books.google.com.tw...=onepage&q=Is%20kerogen%20used%20in%20pavement&f= false
Note 2: See paragraph 7 in phys.org...
Note 3: See photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Small rocks and pebbles are also used in paving materials.

By this logic, finding small rocks and pebbles on Mars is evidence that Martians (who TOTALLY existed!) used them to pave surfaces.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

Small rocks and pebbles are also used in paving materials.

By this logic, finding small rocks and pebbles on Mars is evidence that Martians (who TOTALLY existed!) used them to pave surfaces.

Don’t worry nothing you say will influence him in the slightest, me and some other folks tried very hard to help him understand something but he judged everyone’s else evidence to be not good enough whilst contionously just linking to his mars ghosts and other asinine theories as all the proof he could ever need he’s trying to expand his echo chamber.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Let's start be the beginning: what is kerogen?

According to that 7th paragraph, "kerogen is a name given to organic material that is present in rocks and in carbonaceous meteorites", so it looks like finding it on the ground means nothing special, unless the percentage was very high when compared to normal values, which, apparently, is not the case.

If someone uses any specific material to pave the ground then we would find much higher percentages of that material than usual for the area, which, again, does not appear to happen.

In conclusion, my answer to your question is: yes, kerogen can be used in paving the ground, but I don't see any signs of that happening on Mars.

As Saint Exupery said, small rocks are commonly used to pave the ground (here in Portugal is almost the only thing we use to pave sidewalks, the "calçada Portuguesa" (Portuguese pavement), but that results in much higher percentage of limestone (the kind of stone we use for sidewalks) and/or basalt or granite (what we use on roads) in places where those pavements have existed in the past, in the same way they find Roman roads, even when the upper layer of bigger rocks is not present the sand and gravel they used as a "bed" for the larger blocks remains in its place.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

You may be right. However, let me talk about another important thing: Kerogen on Mars originated from Martian life only. Kerogen was discovered by Mars rover Curiosity at Mojave and Confidence Hills (See paragraph 7 in phys.org...).
All kerogen on Earth originated from life, according to this Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org...
Kerogen in meteorites also originated from Martian life (see wretchfossil.blogspot.com... DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT MY WEBSITE).

Now back to kerogen in pavements. I forgot to mention that humans on Earth crushed oil shales into small particles. Those particles contain kerogen. And the particles were mixed with other things in the pavement. The pavements could be used for large wide areas, not just for roads. I wonder how did you know there was no "higher percentages of that material" on Mars? Mars rover Curiosity drilled two small holes (each about 2 cm in diameter) in Pahrump Hills and found higher percentage of organic matter (including kerogen) than what the rover had ever found previously .
edit on 27-9-2018 by FossilLin because: to rectify spelling of kerogen

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: FossilLin
However, let me talk about another important thing: Kerogen on Mars originated from Martian life only.

How can you be sure of that? Even the article you linked to says:

Q: The Curiosity rover found the first definitive evidence of organic matter on Mars in 2014. Now with these new results, what does this all say about the possibility that there is, or was life on Mars?

A: Yes, previously, Curiosity found small organic molecules containing carbon, hydrogen, and chlorine. Again, without having a Mars rock in a laboratory on Earth for more detailed study, we cannot say what processes formed these molecules and whether they formed on Mars or somewhere in the interstellar medium and were transported in the form of carbonaceous meteorites. Unfortunately, the new findings do not allow us to say anything about the presence or absence of life on Mars now or in the past. On the other hand, the finding that complex organic matter can be preserved there for more than 3 billion years is a very encouraging sign for future exploration. "Preservation" is the key word, here. It means that, one day, there is potential for more sophisticated instrumentation to detect a wider range of compounds in Mars samples, including the sorts of molecules made by living organisms, such as lipids, amino acids, sugars, or even nucleobases.

All kerogen on Earth originated from life, according to this Wikipedia article:
en.wikipedia.org...

I couldn't find where it says that, could you point to it?

Kerogen in meteorites also originated from Martian life (see wretchfossil.blogspot.com... DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VISIT MY WEBSITE).

Sorry, I cannot consider you as an unbiased source.

I wonder how did you know there was no "higher percentages of that material" on Mars?

I don't know, I suppose it was not found on higher percentages than normal because they would have said it, and they only said that they found evidence of complex molecules, something .

Mars rover Curiosity drilled two small holes (each about 2 cm in diameter) in Pahrump Hills and found higher percentage of organic matter (including kerogen) than what the rover had ever found previously.

I didn't see that, could you point to where they say they found higher percentage of organic matter? Thanks in advance.

PS: the are what they sampled was the bottom of a lake, I find it highly unlikely someone would pave the bottom of a lake.
edit on 27/9/2018 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Oh man Armap buddy you just gave him another idea next thread will be his theory on the giant swimming pools of mars using the kerogen like gunite.....

top topics

join