It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget an EMP attack just push a button on your computer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The capitol Kiev of Ukraine last week suffered a total electrical failure. It was a cyber attack and according to the video they were/are better protected than much of our/USA power grid. The first 1:53 of the video is like a docudrama showing some of the effects but afterwords the evidence is shown. IMO it is a very well done video with high production values even has Ted Koppel of night line fame .

It is also stated that China, Russia, and maybe Iran are already in our power grid waiting for the day to push their buttons..

War drums or MIC propaganda ?

I had always wondered how a cyber attack could shut down the electric grid and the video explains it and shows it has already been done in Kiev.. The good news is the effects of such a cyber attack should only last for a few hours to maybe 6 days.. Just long enough to make much of America deaf and blind as far as communications and defense.
youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I was reading up on this. I work in a water treatment plant we use SCADA for every thing and this is terrifiying.
a reply to: 727Sky

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

If they ever do it to the U.S. they better make sure it is forever cause once we are back up (even before that) they are toast.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Our boomer’s are at sea for a reason.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Unless all out war with another nation ensues I think we stand a better chance of a nationwide power failure from a solar event rather than an EMP attack. Our foes are not suicidal, I hope.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Why would a power grid be hooked to the internet?

Idiots

Sounds like a depop scheme planned by the Microsuck guy.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I’m retired from 25 years with the utilities. Power plants mostly. At the time I retired the internet was used to monitor things but nothing could be initiated via the internet. Internal systems could only be initiated thru a dedicated microwave connection or radio frequency transmission over the high voltage lines.

Anyone in the know currently?

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Kiev is only one city.

America has three major power grids.

One of those grids is the entire state of texas.

All three would have to be taken out at the same time to black out the civilian population.

The military has it's own independent power. Doubtful a hacker could even get to that.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Simple way to avoid hacking is to have separate operations and communications systems. Operation systems are strictly offline and not connected to communication systems.

Only way to hack it then would be from the inside.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Unless all out war with another nation ensues I think we stand a better chance of a nationwide power failure from a solar event rather than an EMP attack. Our foes are not suicidal, I hope.

As much as I would like to agree with ya, I can’t. I will say that most countries face this same problem though. A EMP will only knock out devices currently on the grid. So let’s say your cell is in your pockets it should be fine. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though please.

A virus that can affect transistors and other components or a power relay or station can have a cascading affect on an entire grid or possible multiple grids. For this reason when I am not using something like lat’s say my TV or PC I unplug everything. From monitor or backup battery to even my WIFI. I have solar panels that I can easily set up and run my essentials(what I believe are essentially needed at least).

So in the end we must face the harsh reality of 90% of all nations have an outdated and mostly unprotected power grid. Best thing to do is make sure you are protected in the event of a blackout.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

A EMP will only knock out devices currently on the grid. So let’s say your cell is in your pockets it should be fine. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though please.

A strong EMP will take out your phone, it's an electrical device.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

A EMP will only knock out devices currently on the grid. So let’s say your cell is in your pockets it should be fine. Someone correct me if I’m wrong though please.

A strong EMP will take out your phone, it's an electrical device.

I was under the impression that in order for an EMP to take out a device it must be currently connected to the power grid? Or did I have mistake that and any device that is powered up can be affected?

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Only someone who was totally stupid would attack the power grids of a nation armed to the teeth with nuclear weapons. Especially the nation that ended the largest war in history by destroying 2 cities and eventually killing one quarter of a million people. Your power grid actions might be considered an attack on national interests and considered a deliberate act of war deserving of immediate retaliation. My best,

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'm not an expert on it but from what I understand is it's a bombardment of electrons that can affect any electronic device that isn't shielded from the bombardment of the pulse.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I can control the whole water plant via cell phone....so in my field we are wide open.

a reply to: whywhynot

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I can control the whole water plant via cell phone....so in my field we are wide open.

And there's Canada chiming in with news that shouldn't be told! "Oh it's easy aye, just right click and run as admin and your good my friend".

I"m kidding btw, but I totally could see a Canadian doing that

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There is some security but not enough IMO.

They can’t change anything that would hurt people in terms of how we treat the water. At least all of our Cl2 is ran totally offline. So I can’t just get gas’d Out the blue.

a reply to: Vector99

Damn it shoulda put my accent on

Ohhhh yea bud easy as pie eh
edit on 24-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Interesting. Wonder if it is the same in the electric utilities.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
A CME could be of any strength--even powerful enough to de-gauss your body. There are a couple of volts of electrical potential between the top of your head and the soles of your feet. IF that ever got grounded out.... Well, the heart contracts because of electrical/chemical potential across the surface of your heart. if the CME could made the fluid your heart floats in to be a little less resistant... your heart would stop. All hearts would stop.

An EMP attack, on the other hand, would take a massive, 70-80Mt detonation, 100-250 miles above Kansas. It has to be done all at once, or the ionosphere would reset itself. Until Elon Musk starts renting payload capacity of that magnitude, the only nations capable of putting something that size into the atmosphere are probably china, Russia, the USA, and maybe the UK or France. And the US has anti-ballistic tech. The higher the missile flies, the better NORAD's chance of knocking it down...

Now Hacking, that's a different deal. It can all be done online. I am familiar with SCADA for oil fields in the American southwest; they are controlled by microwave transmissions from corporate headquarters in Dallas, Houston, or New York. You could tear up utilities permanently by resetting the pressure readings in various large-bore pipes... But to make it last more than 4 hours - 4 days, you'd have to attack multiple systems at once. So, you'd have to pirate the transmission lines, (encrypted), cut the power to the fields, and mess with the private cell networks in rural areas. if you concentrated on bottlenecks I won't name, you could empty pipelines, take major refineries offline, attack the logistics software for several major American ports, and shut down the logistics software for the main gasoline retailers and groceries. Even if that only lasted for 8 hours, I bet it'd screw stuff up for a month or more. Just in time inventory would be jacked long-term.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This happens now, and so many places are open, really.

Yet in the year 1999, the Y2K bug was laughed at.

And that would have been from the inside, if people like me had not spent hours in overtime and weekends resolving all the issues.

So, this is a scam, a joke, a compruter carnt stop the electrics...

edit on 25-9-2018 by Parishna because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join