It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Reclaiming America for Christ

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
and that it was a completely "atheistic" country.

-wD

I haven't read anywhere, none, zilch....that it was atheistic! Where did you read that? It was simply stated that it was not founded on "Christianity" which is true. It was found for religious freedom for all.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by "Reclaiming America for Christ" America wasn't found on Christ to begin with

LadyV, what was the reason for the Pilgrims to come to the North American continent?

It was to escape religious persecution, and I think somewhere along those lines, Jesus Christ was involved.

BTW, the founding fathers of the United States had deep-rooted religious beliefs.

It's only modern man that believes they're the most intelligent life form in the universe!

EDIT: LadyV, I didn't go through all the posts until after I posted this one. I've got one thing to add, WOW! Like you're really on top of things!

[edit on 23/2/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
do you really believe that the natives of britian needed the christians to come to tell them that murder, or theft, or lying was wrong? or that any athiest cannot figure this out without a reading the ten commandments?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Wow, finally someone with a level head on these forums lol.

LadyV, I'm glad you have learned to take things OUT OF CONTEXT. That was a response to a question, not a statement.

You need to put that in context - it will make sense. I was talking about, and YES THERE ARE PEOPLE in the world, who claim that this country had no religious roots.

kthxbye.

-wD

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by LadyV
I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by "Reclaiming America for Christ" America wasn't found on Christ to begin with

LadyV, what was the reason for the Pilgrims to come to the North American continent?

It was to escape religious persecution, and I think somewhere along those lines, Jesus Christ was involved.

BTW, the founding fathers of the United States had deep-rooted religious beliefs.

It's only modern man that believes they're the most intelligent life form in the universe!

so, who were the pilgrims running from? muslims? buddhists? oh, it was other christians, who thought their way was the right way and all must follow that way......

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
so, who were the pilgrims running from? muslims? buddhists? oh, it was other christians, who thought their way was the right way and all must follow that way......

They were running from pinheads!

BTW, they weren't running. They just chose not to live by what others dictated to them.

In this country, if a person doesn't like what's dictated to them, THEN LEAVE! After all, it is a free country!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Even if they ran from religion they still lost! Who cares what it used to be, its about what it is now! And thats a Christian country whether you like it or not!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They didn't sound too "Christian" did they!?.....

Thomas Paine "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church." AND "My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Thomas Jefferson " Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion?"

George Washington "The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind . . . to filch wealth and power to themselves. [They], in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ".

"Of all the animosities which have existed among mankind, those which are caused by difference of sentiments in religion appear to be the most inveterate and distressing, and ought most to be deprecated. "

[edit on 2/23/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by dawnstar

They were running from pinheads!

BTW, they weren't running. They just chose not to live by what others dictated to them.

In this country, if a person doesn't like what's dictated to them, THEN LEAVE! After all, it is a free country!

---------------------

maybe I should just hop into my time machine go back and have a chat with a few of my ancestors, like good ole Jacob Lance, who fought for this country and freed it from Britains tyrannical rule, or then there's my grandmothers uncle, who lived many years never being able to lie down to sleep, because of the bullet in his head...which he recieved while fighting to give the slaves in the south freedom....maybe I should just go back and tell them just not to bother, since in a few centuries, it will be shot back into their faces anyways.

My ancestors fought for this country in just about every war that's been fought!!! Damned if I am going anywhere, except maybe to hide on some public land somewhere until the present insanity passes.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person's life, freedom of religion affects every individual. Religious institutions that use government power in support of themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths, or of no faith, undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of an established religion tends to make the clergy unresponsive to their own people, and leads to corruption within religion itself. Erecting the "wall of separation between church and state," therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society.

I took this quote from Thomas Jefferson on Politics & Government

etext.lib.virginia.edu...

Our founding fathers knew the importance of making sure that Government stayed out of religion and religion protected from the Government.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Even if they ran from religion they still lost! Who cares what it used to be, its about what it is now! And thats a Christian country whether you like it or not!

want to tell the muslims, the hindus, the wiccans, and well, god only knows what else, this......
by the way, you might also want to write to Bush, let them know, that the only people they should be allowing into your christian country are christians....not buddhists, or muslims, or whatever else.....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I am sorry to burst your bubble but we are as now the most diversify country in the world.

Perhaps you should look in your yellow pages and count how many of other houses of worship non Christian are in your city, you be surprised.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
America was not founded on religion, it was created to be a place where a religion was not forced on people, alot of presidents have been atheists, such as Abraham Lincoln, he was an atheist for the first half of his life, but decided he believed in a god, not the christioCatholic one.

Many famous people throughout our global history were atheist, and agnostic.
Alot of celebrities are either atheist agnostic or a new age religion.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Christianity is an evangelical religion, except for some of the more stagnant branches and it has been so since the Pentecost. Such "revival meetings" have been held in America and around the world for longer than anyone here has been around. There is absolutely no reason for anyone, including the humanists, to be alarmed about such a gathering, which one might also note, is Constitutionally protected.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Bwahahahahahahahahaha
I can't believe you actually think that, much less actually wrote it! You have got to be kidding me! FYI...Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in America.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sorry I was just trying to be an a-hole

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Many might be surprised to note the writings of the Founding Fathers and their recognition of a creator and the prinicples of the Judeo-Christian ethic. That mark evident to anyone who bothers to read only the Declaration of Independence.

The Founders, many of whom were Diests, understood the underpinnings of an orderly society and the debt Western Civilization owes to both Judaism and Christianity and the values held by both. What they feared was tyranny and did everything in their power to prevent the establishment of a state church, such as the Anglican Church, many had fled.

What they did not recoil from was the philosophy and ethics which Christianity had imbued them with and neither should we. It is an easy thing to assume that America is a Christian nation and it is not far off the mark as long as there are Christians who live by their faith and values in both the private and the public sectors and the Constitution of the United States exists. Those who laugh at such an assertion demonstrate their own lack of historical perspective.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

What they feared was tyranny and did everything in their power to prevent the establishment of a state church, such as the Anglican Church, many had fled.

What they did not recoil from was the philosophy and ethics which Christianity had imbued them with and neither should we. It is an easy thing to assume that America is a Christian nation and it is not far off the mark as long as there are Christians who live by their faith and values in both the private and the public sectors and the Constitution of the United States exists. Those who laugh at such an assertion demonstrate their own lack of historical perspective.

Well written post grady.

The thing is - what you seem to think are Christian philosohy and ethics, is fairly universal wisdom. I have known and loved good people from many different faiths - Ojibway, Hindi, Catholic, Navajo, Greek Orthadox, Lutheran, Jewish, Mayans, Islamic, Bah'ai - and I found them all to live by the same tenets of justice, love, tolerance and kindness.

IMO - Truly spiritual and religious people are the same, no matter what their religion. The rest is just frosting, not the heart.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The thing is - what you seem to think are Christian philosohy and ethics, is fairly universal wisdom. IMO - Truly spiritual and religious people are the same, no matter what their religion. The rest is just frosting, not the heart.

How nice and very true!
Especially "The rest is just frosting, not the heart"

EDIT:

CmptrN3rd...."Sorry I was just trying to be an a-hole"

Well, you did very well! But, Why?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hmmmm.

What would happen if a branch or spin-off from this evangelical movement arrived, determined to "Reclaim ATS For Christ"?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join