It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After chaotic day, Rosenstein stays in job but will meet with Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well, I woke up to reports of Rosenstein resigning and it took a few hours until the media fog cleared, but I still haven't had time to find out who first printed the false report of his resignation. News outlets are now picking up on the story that he did not resign and he did not get fired, but he will have a conversation with Trump on Thursday, upon the President's return to the States.

Does anyone know where the report came from about him resigning? Just Axios? Or are there others that got it wrong?

The White House announced the meeting on Monday after a flurry of conflicting media reports about whether Rosenstein, a frequent target of Trump’s anger, would be leaving the post.

“At the request of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, he and President Trump had an extended conversation to discuss the recent news stories,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said on Twitter.

So, the White House corrected the media, issued a statement and scheduled a meeting for Thursday.

This left me wondering, though -- if he is not resigning, what would he be fired for? Just like all the other cabinet members and higher ups, he denied what the NYTimes printed, said that it was “inaccurate and factually incorrect,” and even said that he did not think there were any grounds to invoke the 25th, as the article implied.

This does not sound much different than what Mattis, Pompeo, Kelly or any others said in their denials.

What can he be legally fired for, and if he is fired who else should be fired for having a story about them printed? Does the denial of one person carry more weight than the denial of another?

Has he done anything else over the last two years that could be seen as illegal or perhaps dishonorable for the DOJ no.2 to do? Sessions himself has stood by Rosenstein and said he had full confidence in him and that he was doing a good job.

Why is a firing or a resignation even being discussed? Can anyone list a good reason for him to be fired, or should all persons implicated in the op-ed letter and the Woodward book be fired?

Rosenstein’s departure would prompt questions about the future of Mueller’s investigation and whether Trump, who has called the probe a “witch hunt,” would seek to remove Mueller. The investigation has resulted in indictments or guilty pleas from 32 people.

The Rosenstein furor came just six weeks ahead of the Nov. 6 congressional elections, and his removal could become an explosive political issue as Trump’s fellow Republicans try to keep control of Congress.

Thursday’s meeting between Trump and Rosenstein is set for the same day that Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, and the woman who has accused him of sexual misconduct are scheduled to testify at a Senate hearing.

Reuters

Why schedule it for the same day as the Kavanaugh sexual allegations hearing?

Isn't that a big enough event for one day?

edit on 24-9-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Rosenstein had better be a convincing liar or he going to have to move on to that book deal.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Why is a firing or a resignation even being discussed? Can anyone list a good reason for him to be fired, or should all persons implicated in the op-ed letter and the Woodward book be fired?

I believe the consensus is that RR is allowing the Mueller investigation to continue. Not that complex.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

President Trump is tied up with meetings at the United Nations through Wednesday.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The difference between this and other denials is two fold

1. supposedly McCabe and perhaps lisa page have both testified that Rosenstein said this, which is different than the other stories where anonymous sources told reporters something.

2. The allegation is more serious. He allegedly was trying to wear a wire to record trump without him knowing in an effort to get him kicked form office. This is different than mattis or sessions or whoever saying trump is a moron or jerk or something.

I still would hesitate to fire him based on this story if I was trump, but I could see how if he believed mccabe and pages testimony he would want to.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The only people I've seen discussing it have been the fake news MSM and then a couple threads here on ATS throwing out predictions on what is going to happen. Either some damaging info has been found, but not released or this is an attempt by the MSM to get Trump to fire RR.

If the allegations are true, this is completely different than some supposed name calling by other officials.

Trump's meeting with RR is scheduled Thursday because that's the day Trump will be back in DC.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

2 fairly long threads already on this
Grambler's
soberbacchus'

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yeah, the Reuters article mentions he will be back in office on Thursday. You'd think he'd dedicate his time that day to take a breath after a trip, follow the Kavanaugh hearing, follow up on what the pundits say and then tweet his newly forged opinions afterward.

Why the rush if Rosenstein did no more wrong than any other high up?

I don't think he will fire him, Hannity strongly urged him not to and he usually listens to Hannity. And Rosenstein hasn't resigned himself, so why would Thursday be different?

What do you think is going on?

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It is a perfect day. The media will focused on Ford and Rosenstein can slip out the back unhindered by media.

Can Trump fire the Deputy AG? Not sure. He didn’t appoint him, he can certainly fire Sessons, though. Sessons can fire the Deputy AG, though. So indirectly, yes Trump can fire him without cause or reason. However, firings within the DoJ are usually suspect. And firing anyone currently investigating the President is a crime, pretty high crime at that.

Thus Trump was free to fire Comey, because Comey said he wasn’t being investigated by the FBI, at that time. Mueller is also a special case. While clearly investigating Trump, he had to be accepted by Trump, thus he could be fired by Trump if he admitted he was no longer investigating Trump by means of Russian Collusion. And since collusion isn’t a real crime anyway, and there must be evidence of a crime for a Special Counsel in the first place. Mueller can be fired by whim. And that would include, possibly the AG that hired him. In this case Rosenstein, the Deputy AG.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well legally...since you brought it up...Trump is within his rights to fire him for anything or nothing at all. The president is able to fire any of his exeutive appointments at will. This would also not be obstruction as 1. Muller is the investigating party not RR 2. RR would be replaced and the new deputy AG would still continue on with any investigation if he saw fit. So really if there is any obstruction it would be due to the deputy AG closing the investigation without merit or ignoring evidence indicating the need for such investigation. Just an FYI.

Edit: As ahabstar points out RR can be fired by sessions not Trump...however sessions can be fired to be replaced with someone who will fire RR...which is what Nixon tried iirc however that really back fired on him. In this case though as has been admited more than once Trump is not directly under investigation.
edit on 24-9-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The difference between this and other denials is two fold

1. supposedly McCabe and perhaps lisa page have both testified that Rosenstein said this, which is different than the other stories where anonymous sources told reporters something.

2. The allegation is more serious. He allegedly was trying to wear a wire to record trump without him knowing in an effort to get him kicked form office. This is different than mattis or sessions or whoever saying trump is a moron or jerk or something.

I still would hesitate to fire him based on this story if I was trump, but I could see how if he believed mccabe and pages testimony he would want to.

That's interesting if they did say that and confirm he did. I'd not read that. Link it please if you have it handy, if not, no big deal, I'll trust you on it.

For the second part -- I agree that recording is all BS, and if he did suggest that, it does not sit well with me. But... let's play another side here. Who cares? Apparently everyone records everyone there. Omarosa just released recordings from the Oval Office and we all talked abut, oh for about a day and half, and she's fine and no charges have been filed. Would someone else doing the same thing be different?

And don't forget, he denied it. Just like others denied what Woodward wrote, and he is more credible than 10 Lisa Pages.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

And firing anyone currently investigating the President is a crime, pretty high crime at that.

I don't think this is completely true. He could be fired for many reasons, or none at all.

One thing that might be criminal is if RR was fired for political reasons involving the investigation of the president, by the president, or his proxy.
edit on 24-9-2018 by JasonBillung because: spelling

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Thus Trump was free to fire Comey,

Trump did not fire Comey. RR fired Comey.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Thus Trump was free to fire Comey, because Comey said he wasn’t being investigated by the FBI, at that time. Mueller is also a special case. While clearly investigating Trump, he had to be accepted by Trump, thus he could be fired by Trump if he admitted he was no longer investigating Trump by means of Russian Collusion. And since collusion isn’t a real crime anyway, and there must be evidence of a crime for a Special Counsel in the first place. Mueller can be fired by whim. And that would include, possibly the AG that hired him. In this case Rosenstein, the Deputy AG.

That's very interesting.

Do you think there is a chance that Trump often asked Comey to state that publicly, in order to fire him?

Once Comey stated -- I am not investigating you, it was open season. Trump asked him often to go on the record with that.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Does anyone know where the report came from about him resigning?

If I had to guess I’d say John Barron.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

McCabe and Page both wrote their own notes about the meetings, and while Page's notes also mention Rosenstein bringing up the idea of putting a wire on someone to record Trump, Page's notes do not reflect any suggestion that Rosenstein was joking, according to one source familiar with the matter.

abcnews.go.com...

Not sure what woodward has anything to do with this.

I am just saying that unlike with mattis or others calling trump mean names, this is more serious and there are actual sources, rather true or not, backing it up.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Public admission was for the optics. He could have went off of private statements, but things said in private can and often are rolled back.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Firing those investigating the President is by definition obstruction. Very high crime, impeachable crime in fact.

Rosenstein wrote the memo for the justification of firing Comey. Trump did the actual deed.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

LOL

I actually did laugh out loud.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Spanky trying to orchestrate a bigly distraction on Thursday, when Ford will be testifying live to the country against the alleged serial rapist SC nominee the GOP are ramming through. Not very transparent. Looks pretty desperate, though.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join