It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to give Syria S-300 air defense after accusations against Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia announced on Monday it will supply an S-300 surface-to-air missile system to Syria in two weeks against strong Israeli objections, a week after Moscow blamed Israel for indirectly causing the downing of a Russian military plane in Syria.

Russia is back to the rhetoric saying that Israel is indirectly responsible for the downing of their IL-20 surveillance plane, killing all 15 aboard.

Last week’s crash, which killed 15 Russian service members, had forced Moscow to take “adequate retaliatory measures to increase the safety of Russian military fighting international terrorism in Syria,” Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Monday in a televised address.
Reute rs

This is an interesting move that seems directed at Israel since they have been the primary non Syrian allied country to conduct strikes in their airspace. What I find odd though is I don't think this will protect Syrian airspace more than change the way countries approach the conflict.

Israel has quite a few F-35l which to my knowledge can't be brought down by any SAMs in the region. The US just brought a marine aircraft carrier with F-35s parked outside Syria in case things heat up.

Back in May, Russia said that it tested their new S-500 platform which they claim can take out F-22 and F-35 stealth fighters.

That ironically was the same time period Isreal F-35 saw first combat in Syria, getting through all air defenses.

Since then, Russia and Israel have had improved relations, Russia allowing Israel to strike some Iranian targets they feel are getting too close to their border.

Personally I feel like Russia is just sending the S-300 to keep face after losing their plane to show that they are making efforts to reduce Russian casualties. But time will tell, both sides have plenty of assets to keep on changing the rules of that sky.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

S-300 has a minimun engagement height. of 80 ft if i remember correctly. compared to the s-400 with 25ft minimum altitude. LASMs can destroy both easily in ground skimmer mode or gps guided bombs dropped outside engagement zone.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how good a system they provide, if the people using it aren't capable. Syrian defenses have a history of not shooting until after things start to blow up, and then blazing away indiscriminately when they do.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
It doesn't matter how good a system they provide, if the people using it aren't capable. Syrian defenses have a history of not shooting until after things start to blow up, and then blazing away indiscriminately when they do.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping you'd drop by.

I had a feeling it was posturing on Russia's part, especially since they backtracked from absolving Israel of blame.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

If Russia is willing to provide advisors, it can become a pretty serious threat, but only over a limited area depending on how many they provide. I don't think they'd be willing to go that far though. Watching Russian activities in the region, they're trying to walk a fine line that shows they'll support an ally, while not risk their relationship with other powers in the area.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

If Russia is willing to provide advisors, it can become a pretty serious threat, but only over a limited area depending on how many they provide. I don't think they'd be willing to go that far though. Watching Russian activities in the region, they're trying to walk a fine line that shows they'll support an ally, while not risk their relationship with other powers in the area.

And if this statement is true, I think it gives credence to what you're saying.

JERUSALEM — Russian President Vladimir Putin told the United States that an Iranian presence in Syria does not tally with Russian interests and that he would be content to see all Iran-linked forces go home, national security adviser John Bolton said Wednesday.
WaPo

I don't think the conflict is close to boil over just yet, hence why I decided Middle East Issues and not WWIII. That being said, I definitely think this is worth keeping an eye on, especially with Bolton doing his circuit. He is not my favorite for these sort of things.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The advisers embedded within the Syrian S-300 units is the only way to keep them from being taken out by Israel. I can't imagine the Russian supplying the system only to have them wiped out. The Russians will no doubt inform the Israeli's that the S-300s will be joint manned in order for them not to be targeted.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Syria among other things is an elaborate weapons demo for the Soviets. Some have been a success others not so much (SU-57's).

The Syrian regime already had some S-300's in inventory If I recall.

Russian advisors or not, if the Israeli AF comes it will take those sites out if its a threat

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
Syria among other things is an elaborate weapons demo for the Soviets. Some have been a success others not so much (SU-57's).

The Syrian regime already had some S-300's in inventory If I recall.

Russian advisors or not, if the Israeli AF comes it will take those sites out if its a threat

Syria never had S-300s. They did use to operate the Tin Shield radar way back in the 1980s. That is S-300 associated radar but the Syrians were using it for early warning.

Declassified CIA report 1983

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

You are correct and my point was poorly worded. The Russians did have S-300 batteries in Syria to protect their forces and the regime and I botched my verbage.

new topics

top topics

join