It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lufthansa may sue over Bush visit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
German airline Lufthansa is researching possible legal action following a disruption of flight operations caused by the arrival of Air Force One in Frankfurt. The arrival interrupted flights for an hour in which the airline claims it had to cancel more than 77 short haul flights. The loss to the company according to a spokesman may be millions of Euros. The company is looking at suing not the airport, but German Federal officials that ordered the flight ban.

news.bbc.co.uk
German airline Lufthansa may sue federal agencies for damages after the arrival of US president George W Bush disrupted flights.

Lufthansa said that it may lose millions of euros as a result of Air Force One landing at Frankfurt airport.

Flights were affected for an hour on Wednesday morning, double the time that had been expected, leading to cancellations and delays.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess the German national carrier was not swayed by the Bush goodwill tour. While Rhein-Main is also a military field I always wonder why they do not use a military field near the area for added security and to lessen the disruption it usually causes. Who can forget the uproar when Clinton got a haircut aboard Air Force One at Los Angeles International airport and tied up traffic for hours?

[edit on 2/23/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Or the assination by republicans, of John Kennedy holding-up traffic for much longer in Dallas.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
interesting, since a visit by Bush to the UK always has him fly into Heathrow, with no distruption at all - AirForceOne is given a standard landing slot and thats it, when its on the tarmac its shepherded to a private stand and the US security services have their much demanded field day in their own private corner of Heathrow. No disruption has yet been reported to my knowledge.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
even in the US i've never seen bush visits cause a delay so this is funny, they are just using bush to cover for some screw up they caused i bet.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
They should sue.

I understand those European cities were shut down practically- including schools closed, loss of business, etc...

No small job keeping the fuhrer safe.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Yeah, I am suprised that they didn't just use Ramstien or some German air base. Maybe it had to do with making an enterance. BTW doesn't AF1 usually park at Andrew's AFB when not in use?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Presidential flight plans were filed with the appropriate German authorities ahead of time.
In other words, proper and sufficient warning of Bush's arrival was known, down to the hour and minute.

Sue? Be my guest. Won't, forgive the pun, "fly."
Problem? Those proper German authorities that were notified. If they couldn't redirect air traffic or compensate for the pre-set and known arrival date and time, its their problem.

Tissue?

seekerof

[edit on 23-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I guess when you have the lord and Saviour of the world visiting his subjects everything has to be prepared for his arrival, and the streets paved in gold.

join