It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Drafts Order To Look Into Google, Facebook Practices

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Okay, point blank. Why must Google conform to your expections when you wouldn’t expect a random person on the the street to conform to those same expections? Again outside of the normal expectation that they are not going to hurt you or rob you.

It is okay for you to not like what they are doing. It is okay to say that you don’t like what they are doing. Bad mouth them. Boycott them. Return only when they make changes you can agree on. But forcing that change is wrong. Everyone in the entire world can vote in a global election that I must wear green and yellow shoes in public. Forcing me to do so would be wrong despite the entire world’s opinion to the contrary if I don’t want to wear green and yellow shoes. Why is it different for Google?

I guess you say it is the same basic argument in gun threads. One group says guns are evil, therefore you can’t have guns. The other group says why do I have to give up my guns to satisfy your opinion?

Me, I don’t want Google and Facebook to act the way they are with political content. I wish they would do a PSA on their policy since they are. And if the PSA bites them in the butt from the backlash of angry people, so be it. But I am not forcing them to do jack either way.
edit on 22-9-2018 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Okay, point blank. Why must Google conform to your expections when you wouldn’t expect a random person on the the street to conform to those same expections? Again outside of the normal expectation that they are not going to hurt you or rob you.

When they embed themselves into my computer, my phone, etc, and archive everything I say and do, and then set about using all that to undermine me, invent all manner of ubiquitous ways to do so, and they work for the government, they're no longer "a random person on the the street".

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Look at the blatant collusion!

Break.
Them.
Up.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

When they embed themselves into my computer, my phone, etc, and archive everything I say and do, and then set about using all that to undermine me, invent all manner of ubiquitous ways to do so, and they work for the government, they're no longer "a random person on the the street".

How did you arrive to the position that forces you to use Google's search engine? Their browser? Android? Any of their products?

You don't have to use them, if you disagree with how they run things then dont.

This is funny, I wonder how many people hear complaining are authenticating against google or facebook to log into ATS to complain about Google and facebook.

It's amazing how people are "muh less government", until they aren't.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Okay so spend $500 on an iPhone, that does probably 99% all the same Big Brother BS, or get a $100 Android "phone" (personal computer). Which one has to risk bricking their phone ("rooting" it) in order to be able to remove Google's embedded BS. Which by the way Microsoft's antitrust suit (Netscape) falls right in line with Google's setup (is the EU has now taken action about). Oh but not Google God lets lick their boots and let them run our lives (with 0% intervention or regulations) just because the just so happen to have the best search engine? Is that really all it takes? Oh, yeah, they were part of the Obama Administration so there's that. Kind of like how Eric Schmidt when was Google CEO, and Android + iPhone were just hitting the market, he was on Apple's Board of Directors. Kind of like how Al Gore was on the Board of Directors of both corporations at the same time then too.

So yeah we have a real "choice" there by switching to Apple. Apple who is also doing the same brand of censorship against anti-establishment types as Google has been leading the way on. And to remove their Big Brother BS its even more assured to brick the "phone" (personal computer) in attempts to "jailbreak" it.

edit on 22-9-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It dont matter what browser you use, their cookies embed so deep into your PC just by visiting sites its hooked into (like all of them) they still got ya by the Big Brother balls.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
None of those devices are necessary to live life. Might find things less stressful without them. But to each their own.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

None of those devices are necessary to live life. Might find things less stressful without them. But to each their own.

This sounds like a really lazy way of saying "just roll over and take it".

Google and other platforms are becoming the internet town squares, and the fact that they are using our data against us, and censoring what we access make the excuse of, "its a private corporation", means less and less.

Corporate tyranny has been fought in a bloody fashion before as well. Its how we got unions. I wish people would stop dimissing the internet as a luxury when nearly all of our society is connected to it and the vast majority of our communications pass through it. Those companies control the vast majority of that traffic, they aren't merely hosting a social platform, but filtering what people are exposed to based on politics and social ideology.

The social credit score issue isn't an episode of Black Mirror. It's real and being played out right now on these social media giant's platforms and internet traffic controllers. Now they're going after how people buy and sell on the internet. What possible excuse could PayPal have for doing this especially at the behest of political parties and interests?

I'm not any more for corporate dictatorship than I am for one from governments. What these are doing is extremely unethical and it is creating a serious problem in this country where a whole bloc of people are being excluded from the conversation in favor of an insane ideological echo chamber.

They want to and are tying that to the lives and livelihoods of real people. They've already shown they dont care if it ruins people. It must be stopped.
edit on 22 9 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If pro trump firms like Cambridge analytic or a few Russian trolls were worth investigating because of how much they could affect elections

Then why shouldn’t the fact these very platforms are being ran with political bias warrant an investigation ?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Odd as I know that you, like me, could pick up and walk off into the woods and leave society with little to no problem and little to no advanced planning and do just fine.

Knowing that these outlets are closed and biased towards content delivery is enough to know they are untrustworthy. I can associate, partially associate or disassociate accordingly.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So ether get Big Brother jackboot kicked firmly up into your nethers, or hardly be able to compete in the open field.

But NOPE no monopoly discussion to be found here.

Just wait til Transhumanism, which Google are the chief harbingers of, really kicks into overdrive. Quazi-Amish communities for "normal" humans (which they already refer to as a "subspecies"), anyone?

The competitive setbacks of not having personal computers in your pocket, what social media they herald has already done to disrupt the fabric of society, will look worse than some people of modern Tokyo showing up in the fictional world of The Devils Rejects, going back home and then trying to argue that world makes total sense.

edit on 22-9-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Pocket? I already have a borg implant so to speak, an ICD. Having the doctor remote control it with some sort of magnet on a wire hooked to the computer and dialing up the heart rate was no joyful experience. He could also do a low volt test fire if I wanted to know what it was like to be kicked in the heart by a mule. Could it be hacked with a cell phone? Maybe.

But a cell phone isn’t the same as an implant injecting false memories into your brain. Like in the Matrix downloading training programs. Or in this case, remembering that time that a particular candidate swung in on a rope from a helicopter saving you from a lava flow in the last second. So you should vote for them. Better than all the negative ads on TV today, I suppose. But yeah, people should be able to distinguish that the lava thing never happened no matter how well done.

In either case, Idont think I be getting the Brain Jack 3000 or Apple’s version either no matter how easy to use.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Okay so spend $500 on an iPhone, that does probably 99% all the same Big Brother BS, or get a $100 Android "phone" (personal computer). Which one has to risk bricking their phone ("rooting" it) in order to be able to remove Google's embedded BS.

Or get the el cheapo from Wal Mart. No one is forcing you to consent to Google's TOS.

Which by the way Microsoft's antitrust suit (Netscape) falls right in line with Google's setup (is the EU has now taken action about). Oh but not Google God lets lick their boots and let them run our lives (with 0% intervention or regulations) just because the just so happen to have the best search engine? Is that really all it takes?

Lol. Google's running your life? Maybe you should try harder. Take responsibility for you own actions.
People love to pretend to love the 'free market' until they don't.

Oh, yeah, they were part of the Obama Administration so there's that. Kind of like how Eric Schmidt when was Google CEO, and Android + iPhone were just hitting the market, he was on Apple's Board of Directors. Kind of like how Al Gore was on the Board of Directors of both corporations at the same time then too.

Ah, I see, that's why you people can't really be consistent on anything, you're flip flopping on a daily basis not because you support principles, but because you support a political team. You're talking about CEO's yet Trump was elected because 'HURR DURRR he's business man and not a politican!!!1"

What?

So yeah we have a real "choice" there by switching to Apple.

Or just stop using their stuff, you have a choice, sounds like you don't want to take it. Stop complaining.

Apple who is also doing the same brand of censorship against anti-establishment types as Google has been leading the way on. And to remove their Big Brother BS its even more assured to brick the "phone" (personal computer) in attempts to "jailbreak" it.

I've never once bricked a phone, strange. As a matter of fact, I've only ever bricked a PSP, and that was on day one. Millions of others have managed to not brick their devices either....if you have, you need to take responsibility for your own ignorance.

It dont matter what browser you use, their cookies embed so deep into your PC just by visiting sites its hooked into (like all of them) they still got ya by the Big Brother balls.

Again, if you can't stop something from writing to the file system of your device, YOU need to take responsibility for your own ignorance.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I 100% agree with this. Today, it is used to shape opinion, influence elections. As it develops, it will become far more deeply embedded into our lives.

For example, I've often said I don't think children in the single digit age range should be taught about homosexuals and trans people in school. Children under 10 have no business thinking about sex at all and should just be kids without wondering if they are going to turn into the opposite sex or whatever. Why scare them? I don't want them to explore alternate lifestyles at that age.

People on the other side feel deeply that it is of vital importance this be taught. What if they have a classmate with 2 daddies?

Social media sees my viewpoint as hate speech. Someday they will search back, see I have said this and who know? It could keep me off the supreme court or maybe I'll just lose the job I do have.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

You can say all that but even if I become an absolute Luddite, I still must live and function in a world full of people 90% of which have been brainwashed by Google, Facebook, et.al.

Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

a reply to: blueman12

Outfits literally hell bent on literally building Skynet to trigger the extinction of mankind (whether it be deliberately via Transhumanism, civil war the likes of which history offers no example, and / or on 'accident' when it wipes us out), and also happen to be bastions of oligarchy whom actively stifle competition & innovation, while stoking ideological divisions to the tune of mass censorship & funding millions/billions of dollars, even engaging in mass scale electioneering, all while being subsidized, public utilities at the commanding heights of eCommerce & communications, should have as hard a look at as the worst Robber Barron fronts in all of history.

But if you want to sound like a douche alleging people would get behind that for petty partisan ideals then go for it. Me personally, this has been my cause since 2005, before anybody even cared about any of these sorts; back when the "conservatives" used to all insist I was a "liberals" for saying the same stuff I do today.

Amen amen amen

They are utilities and should be regulated as such.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Did liberals whine when the government under Clinton filed suit against Microsoft to stop them
From monopolizing the market ?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

I 100% agree with this. Today, it is used to shape opinion, influence elections. As it develops, it will become far more deeply embedded into our lives.

For example, I've often said I don't think children in the single digit age range should be taught about homosexuals and trans people in school. Children under 10 have no business thinking about sex at all and should just be kids without wondering if they are going to turn into the opposite sex or whatever. Why scare them? I don't want them to explore alternate lifestyles at that age.

People on the other side feel deeply that it is of vital importance this be taught. What if they have a classmate with 2 daddies?

Social media sees my viewpoint as hate speech. Someday they will search back, see I have said this and who know? It could keep me off the supreme court or maybe I'll just lose the job I do have.

A little off topic, I'm just curious: how do you feel about children under the age of 10 sitting in the pits listening to Mr pastor teach that they're guilty for being born and that they will go to hell if they dont feel bad about it?

So, let me get this straight, 90% of people are influenced by google or facebook, but not you right?

In other words, you feel like since 90% the people don't agree with you, you need the government to intervene?

Curious, did you vote for Trump?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: toms54

A little off topic, I'm just curious: how do you feel about children under the age of 10 sitting in the pits listening to Mr pastor teach that they're guilty for being born and that they will go to hell if they dont feel bad about it?

So, let me get this straight, 90% of people are influenced by google or facebook, but not you right?

In other words, you feel like since 90% the people don't agree with you, you need the government to intervene?

Curious, did you vote for Trump?

"I'm just curious: how do you feel about children under the age of 10 sitting in the pits listening to Mr pastor teach that they're guilty for being born and that they will go to hell if they dont feel bad about it?"

I'm just curious: What the heck are you talking about?

As for the rest, I don't believe I am entirely free of social media influence but I am sure most others are not. Not just because they become enveloped in Facebook culture but also because search is the major way to access the internet. 90% of search goes through Google which makes them a gatekeeper for most information. This is why it it important to have a relatively unbiased search. Add you tube and whatever else they do, they have a lot of influence. It's not just my opinion.

As for who I voted for? Yes, I voted for Trump. Does that invalidate my viewpoint?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join