It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Drafts Order To Look Into Google, Facebook Practices

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So Google, FACEbook et al (CIA NSA DOD fronts)[bastions of oligarchy] fall under Freedom of Press, or is it Freedom of Expression, or is it_______ __ ______??????

It's freedom of expression.

Bejeezus, do you people always side with ruling power elitists / technocrats / oligarchs, whats bad in general for everyone besides hyper-bigoted "liberals"

Power elitists and oligarchs ? , who do you think is running your country !

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
you really can not break up things like facebook, youtube or twitter. those types of things need to be declared essential, world wide public, communications utilities. and thus be barred from doing things such as censoring or banning people. and being a world wide used utility, you really can not even apply individual country's laws to it. like for instance cock fighting may be illegal in the US, Canada, and many other countries. yet it is perfectly legal to do in many other countries. as such they should not be allowed to ban, or censor talk, video, or pictures of said cock fights. if a cock fight is taking place in an area where it is illegal, than it is for the police and courts in that area to deal with, not facebook, twitter or youtube. marijuana is now becoming legal in different countries and areas. so likewise they should not be allowed to censor or ban people for posting things about marijuana, including pictures of idiots smoking up, and being morons. again if what they are doing is illegal where they are, then again that is up to the police and courts in that area to deal with.

now where they should be breaking things up is where these companies own other comunications sites, such as Google owning youtube and such. thus gaining more power to exert their influance.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Time to bust these trusts.
edit on 22-9-2018 by OneArmedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Anybody that says they don’t see bias from Facebook, Google or Twitter is lying .

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Neutral. If I was doing it for political reasons I would've been demanding Walmart be given a similar treatment for a long time now. The only reason I brought them up in my original post is because the fact Trump wasn't also going after them shows this is a move purely motivated by spite.

Personally I don't think any of them should be investigated at this time.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Freedom of press and freedom of expression are the cornerstones of a democracy. Manipulation of information isn’t .

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Of course they have bias. But last time I checked companies were allowed to have a political opinion.

Should Walmart be required to sell BLM shirts?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

If the social media giants wont push TPTB’s ridiculous lies. Then why not go after them????

How else are they gonna get people who won’t fall for their propaganda to push propaganda for them???

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

Lol why??

They will only be world wide communication nexuses till the next thing comes up.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I've never used facebook or twitter but do they manipulate information more than this government , or the previous government , or the one before that ?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Walmart quit selling items with the Confederate battle flag on them.

Besides my main point was in my other post. Sure they’re allowed to have freedom of expression. It’s when they start manipulating data that the problem occurs .

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

“Because of their critical role in American society, it is essential that American citizens are protected from anticompetitive acts by dominant online platforms," the order says. It adds that consumer harm -- a key measure in antitrust investigations-- could come “through the exercise of bias.”

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.
Free press , free speech and freedom of expression are all enemies to this administration , seems to me the move has more to do with protecting the administration and its supporters than it has protecting the American people.

Control disguised as "protection" , poor American citizens need to be protected from dissenting voices.

"Reeeeeeeeee"

*sigh*. That's not what's happening here, and I think you know that as well as anyone.

You know what? I don't think that's what you really think at all.

Let me to 'splain. K?

I think that this "anti-Trump" hysteria has reached a point where the AT crowd actually knows how wrong they were. They just have no easy way to come out of this without losing face. So they just keep on ranting the same tired arguments and screaming at the sky for the singular reason that they aren't MAN enough to admit when they are wrong.

Every single attack or attempt to damage this administration has failed miserably. So the only clear alternative these people can see is to just keep digging themselves into a hole. Deeper and deeper.

Bad news is, it's gonna get a hell of a lot worse for them before it gets better, and the longer the Left keeps acting like 8-year-old children that didn't get what they wanted for Christmas, THE WORSE they are gonna look when this is all over.

Have you people not seen what is happening at POTUS's Rallies? Have you not listened to the crowd response when he speaks?

Jesus Christ, this is NOT "hero worship" boys and girls, IT'S HOPE!

Do you REALLY not believe that there has been a MASSIVE, UNPRECEDENTED attack by the people involved with these online companies, who are, incidentally, ALL LEFTISTS, with the SOLE purpose of UNSEATING a duly elected President?

REALLY? ARE YOU BLIND?

Or are your hearts filled with SO much animosity and vitriol that you aren't even able to admit the truth TO YOURSELVES?

Have you not seen what's happening in this country? Have you not seen the HOPE and OPTIMISM in peoples eyes?

So I just ask you, are you simply blind, or are you being purposefully obtuse because you didn't get your way, and your feelings are hurt?

OPEN YOUR EYES.

The ONLY voices that are being silenced, are PATRIOTS.

Rant over.

Mods can do with it as they will, if they think I'm out of line, and if so, so be it, but as far as I'm concerned, people, PLAYTIME is OVER.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

In which case it seems fair and reasonable to consider these companies being investigated. At least an honest, apolitical and ethical intervention could see effective T&Cs being applied that ensure neutrality. Sadly, I'm nowhere naive enough to believe anything apolitical can exist in the current climate. The world just isn't geared towards such things anymore.

I've seen no evidence whatsoever that Trump is the man to be involved in any regard with investigations into media bias or business ethics. He's been foghorning his contempt for non-FOX media for years. He'd ban any outlet that criticises him if the prevailing winds would allow it...imo.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I say no. And I say no for the exact same reasons that I oppose the Fairness Doctrine that they try to push on Conservative Talk Radio from time to time. Schumer being a leading voice in that hunt.

But there is nothing wrong with informing the consumers of a brand’s particular political bias or even forcing the company to do so periodically as a Public Service Announcement like with what is done with tobacco companies on the dangers of smoking.

It would be great watching CNN pay James Earl Jones to say “This, is CNN. A mouthpiece of the Democratic Party.” every 30 minutes. For laughs he could add, “Pray we don’t alter it any further.”

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So if Google wants to throw a billion dollars worth of its weight behind an election, thats fair game?

The search engine manipulation effect (SEME) is the change in consumer preferences from manipulations of search results by search engine providers. SEME is one of the largest behavioral effects ever discovered. This includes voting preferences. A 2015 study indicated that such manipulations could shift the voting preferences of undecided voters by 20 percent or more and up to 80 percent in some demographics.[1][2] The study estimated that this could change the outcome of upwards of 25 percent of national elections worldwide.
en.wikipedia.org...

Even if its all part of their larger robber barron objective (oligarchy & immortality)?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Free press , free speech and freedom of expression are all enemies to this administration ,

That's rich.

The reality is Trump haters can't handle free press,free speech,and freedom of expression.

Or Google,Facebook et al. wouldn't be censoring their content monopolizing a single point of view.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Google was part of Obama's administration. Hand in hand. They were even behind the Arab Spring. Half a million dead now. Maybe we should throw some more money at them; they dont have enough yet.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

So I just ask you, are you simply blind, or are you being purposefully obtuse because you didn't get your way, and your feelings are hurt?
OPEN YOUR EYES.
The ONLY voices that are being silenced, are PATRIOTS.

Not blind , not being purposefully obtuse and no my feelings aren't hurt , my eyes are open which is why I see what you don't.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Yes the social media companies manipulate information on a larger scale than the government. They do it on a daily basis right in our faces.

They also stifle freedom of expression that you were championing earlier. By bans, soft bans, shadow banning, censoring of conservative speech and manipulating search data.

There’s probably some but at this point. I haven’t seen one Democrat who complained about being shadow banned.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Fair game, so long as it is made clear that is what they are doing. CNN and MSNBC gave close to a billion in air time to Trump decrying how bad he was. And to prove their point, gave bullet points from his speeches in perfect sound bytes. Drain the Swamp, Lock Her Up, Build the Wall.

Hillary could have literally ate live babies and not got any more coverage. Or helped Trump more than the zealotry displayed on Liberal outlets in getting his message heard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join