It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover how to 'upload knowledge to your brain'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
I spent 26 years mastering the guitar. And getting all the good gigs because of it. I don’t want just any schmuck to just go to bed and wake up better than me

I feel the same way about my penis. 49 years of mastery... I would hate it if a woman suddenly showed up, and played it better than me.

I'd certainly keep her around for awhile, though...

Had to flag the thread just to get that off our chests and save the
masterful endeavors for as many as possible.
I need a pilot module for an Apache and several small weapons...
like a 7.62 Vulcan and some plastic surgery too, couldn't hurt at
MY age.
With all the rest of that garbage cluttering things upstairs in recent
years: it probably wouldn't profit anyone to relocate or modify any-
thing political for SURE. I mean why try to reeducate a dried flatworm
into a Trotskyite ...but there's a good chance I repeat myself.

Go to a reputable gun dealer.

Ask for a Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not good. If they can download information into our brain than they can actually program people to believe what they want us to believe. The government and some very powerful people would love to enslave us this way. On top of that, we will think it is our idea that we are thinking that way. This has powerful mind control possibilities, we may be thinking we are learning math, but we will actually will just get a small amount of math taught this way and specific social conditioning downloaded directly into our consciousness and possibly even subconscious.

Count me out, I want to learn things the old fashioned way, by reading or learning from others who have first hand experience.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The Telegraph article is a bit misleading. Here is a link to an MSN reprint of the article, without going through the paywall.

Discover Magazine has an article that provides a bit more accurate representation of HRL's research.

But it gets worse. The Telegraph reports that the tDCS was effective – it made people learn 33% better on a flight simulator task. Wow! But it didn’t. tDCS had no effect on mean performance on any of the five performance indicators on the flight sim task. The only significant result was that on some of the metrics, stimulation was associated with significantly reduced between-subject variance, i.e. it made people more similar to one another (but not better on average). The authors conclude:

The observed reduction in group variability in online learning may be attributed to “convergence to the mean” (i.e., increasing online learning rates of low performing individuals and reducing online learning rates of high performing individuals).

In the comments section of that article, one of the paper's original author stated:

As a contributing author of the original paper, I would like to thank you for your post. Your understanding of our paper is much more appropriate to what we did than what the telegraph article portrayed. I believe it is exciting work, but only a start. Much more work into tDCS needs to be done for a better understanding of what is occurring and what the implications are.

So there are some indications that an effect is present. However, they aren't sure what that effect is. And he notes that a great deal more research needs to be done.

-dex

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Straight from the horses mouth:

www.hrl.com...

The article from HRL Laboratories. The brains behind it all.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm not sure how relevant this will be to sports exactly. You would still need to train your body and develop muscle memory, etc.

IMO MUSCLE MEMORY is more about a repeatable feelings than anything else. If muscle memory was a thing then cadavers would still be able to continue walking if given a nudge (joke)... I personally think the key is in the brain although there have been many war reports of someone getting their head blown off while running and the body continued to run for a few more steps.. But.. the body stopped/toppled and never got back up..

I just thought it was an interesting article that a few might find thought provoking. By the time they get something like this perfected I will long have been nothing but a puff of smoke and food for grass. I think it would be neat if two people could wear a neural cap that was linked and feel what the other person was feeling ... Relationships would certainly be interesting.

edit on 727ndk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Been waiting for this. Maybe when this will go live people will realize how obsolete current education systems are. Teaching so many if not most things that people will either never use or simply forget.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

The observed reduction in group variability in online learning may be attributed to “convergence to the mean” (i.e., increasing online learning rates of low performing individuals and reducing online learning rates of high performing individuals).

Interesting results and as such I can't go for that because scholatically-speaking I am a high achiever, because I like a challenge.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

except, there is no such thing, as common sense.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeepImpactX
Straight from the horses mouth:

www.hrl.com...

The article from HRL Laboratories. The brains behind it all.

That's interesting.

That's a different experiments from the one mentioned in the OP's article. It seems to me that this work is building on the results of that 2016 experiment.

Rather than attempting to enhance the learning environment itself, in this experiment they're altering the sleep environment in order to naturally enhance learning in the awakened state.

And if I read that news release correctly, they designed the experiment to limit the "convergence to the mean" effect they saw in their earlier attempts.

It's kind of weird that MSN and a couple of other media outlets just rehashed the old article from the Telegraph, instead of looking at HRL's latest publication.

-dex

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Interesting results and as such I can't go for that because scholatically-speaking I am a high achiever, because I like a challenge.

I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I'm not particularly interested in any system that degrades my ability to learn.

However, their latest research seems like it may be more applicable to a wider audience.

-dex

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
they get this working, and we will have yet one more piece of science fiction, becoming reality. i remember seeing it used in very old scifi books (Robert A. Heinlein i think in his space cadet book series was one i saw it in), being used to learn not just scholastic stuff, but languages. and language learning this way would be very helpful. but we would have to be very careful as this could easily be used for nefarious purposes. like programming someone to commit acts not of their own free will.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

originally posted by: InTheLight

I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I'm not particularly interested in any system that degrades my ability to learn.

However, their latest research seems like it may be more applicable to a wider audience.

-dex

As well, their new research regarding closed-loop slow-wave tACS system seems very interesting. If I am understanding the results correctly, instead of me studying 3X longer in the waking state, I could substitute tACS process to reduce the waking studying time and still be able to learn and retain information.

I could go for that.

RL Laboratories, LLC, in collaboration with University of New Mexico (UNM), have published the first study showing that transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) of the brain during sleep increases human subjects’ ability to accurately assess hidden targets in novel visual scenes. The new “closed-loop” method effectively reduces the typical overnight drop in performance for novel scenes by about 48%. “This technique is for accelerating learning, memory, and skill acquisition,” said Dr. Praveen Pilly, HRL’s principal investigator and last author on the study. “The processes we affected with noninvasive electrical stimulation are slow-wave oscillations of the brain’s electrical field that occur during non-REM sleep stages 2 and 3. We tracked ongoing oscillations and applied tACS that matched their frequency and phase in the slow-wave oscillation band. This matching is what we mean by a closed-loop system. The technique is unique to HRL, and although others have speculated on the concept, we are the first to publish results on a closed-loop slow-wave tACS system.”

www.hrl.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Oh.....well

No thankyou.....I ALREADY TRIED EVElYN WOOD SPEED READING ....in college

No thanks then......bye bye.....

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Interesting but remember Knowing and Understanding are actually two very different thing's, Knowing is on the road to understanding but is not actually understanding something at least at an intuitive level.

Also should such a technology ever replace schooling it would also lead to a stratification of society since not all brain's are equal of course and this would then replace the old privileged class (not a bad thing in itself) and of course also the meritocracy were people often work there butt's off to learn and understand often even when such a system would classify there brain as a B or C standard while simultaneously taking that lazy fork lift truck driver and after stuffing his vacant head with quantum and astrophysics label him an A+ standard.

It get's worse than this though much worse.

Such technology run's the very real risk of stymieing new ideas, of preventing new innovation and theory's as well as locking society into a hive like mind of programmed human worker drone's and a master computer endowed elite.

It would essentially be the END of humanity at least as we know it and more than likely the end of new human innovation and thought at least once the current tangent's of such reach there plateau.

edit on 22-9-2018 by LABTECH767 because: Well at least it would fix my grammar and spelling mistakes

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wonder if snippets of knowledge will come with targeted ads between them...and then for the rest of their life people will buy the same brand of soap or toilet paper from the same supermarket lol. Or we will see a whole generation of engineers happily marrying russian brides... That will be a sight!
edit on 22-9-2018 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I use books to download knowledge to my brain. Been doing it for years. Its all started with Johnny Crows Garden and the New York Public Library on Liberty Avenue in Queens. Ive been addicted ever since.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think we all knew this or something like this was just a matter of time. It's the Matrix live and in stereo.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So will this just become another tool for the well-to-do?
Download skills and knowledge to your kids for a price.
After having to "earn to learn" so to speak the whole idea is rather repugnant.
Smacks of cheating to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
I think we all knew this or something like this was just a matter of time. It's the Matrix live and in stereo.

Matrix is the first thing I thought of too.

Although this would be fantastic in some respects, it is a bit scary. What would stop its use for nefarious purposes? It could overwrite a person's whole self.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What if you're already in possession of a mastery level skillset?

Can this take you even further beyond?

youtu.be...

edit on 22-9-2018 by Archivalist because: this forum UX is abysmal (are we being honest here?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join