It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTS Lo, I have come to do thy will, O God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
“Lo, I have come to do thy will, O God” – Hebrews ch10 v7

The message of the New Testament centres upon the death of Jesus on the Cross.

Jesus speaks of it, in all the gospels, as something that will happen
“Everything that is written of the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished; for he will be delivered to the Gentiles… they will scourge him and kill him and on the third day he will rise” (Luke ch18 vv31-33- See also Mark ch10 v33, Matthew ch20 vv17-19).
He speaks of it also as something which must happen.
“And he began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected…. And be killed, and after three days rise again” (Mark ch8 v31).
On the mount of transfiguration, Moses and Elijah come to talk to him about the “departure” which he was to accomplish in Jerusalem (Luke ch9 vv30-31).
He complains later, “I have a baptism [his death] to be baptised with, and how I am constrained until it is accomplished [TELESTHE]”- (Luke ch12 v50).
The climax of this train of thought is the declaration which John reports as the last word spoken on the cross-
TETELESTHAI- “It has been accomplished” (John ch19 v30).

So he taught his disciples that the purpose of his life was fulfilled in the giving of his life;
“For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark ch10 v45).
That is the significance of the statements at the Last Supper, when he described his body as “given for you”, and his blood as “poured out for many”.

And therefore, of course, he went into these events giving assent to what was happening.
He was doing nothing to change the sequence.
His last chance of opting out came in the prayer at Gethsemane, which arrived at the conclusion “Nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt” (Matthew ch26 v39).
The accounts of the crucifixion present even the final release of his life as a voluntary act;
He “gave up ”or “yielded” his spirit; “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit” (Luke ch23 v46).

John’s Gospel has additional material which tells the same story.
“I have come down from heaven not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me” (ch6 v38).
But that will includes his own death, for reasons of necessity;
“The Son of Man must be lifted up”, on the Cross (ch3 v14).
Therefore his obedience extends as far as giving up his life;
“I lay down my life for the sheep…
For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again.
No man takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.
I have power to lay it down and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father” (ch10 vv15-18).
So when his death is coming close, he responds with “For this purpose I have come to this hour” (ch12 v27) and “Shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?” (ch18 v11).

We learn from Paul that the obedience of Christ came in two stages.
As the pre-existent Son, he expressed his obedience to the Father by allowing himself to become incarnate in human form;
“Though he was in the form of God… he emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men”.
Then as the living Jesus, “found in human form”, he expressed his obedience in the same way that John described; “he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross” (Philippians ch2 vv5-8).
Thus his birth and his death were equally acts of obedience, in different ways.

That is the background of the teaching in Hebrews, that the Son “learned obedience” (ch5 v8).
“Learned obedience” does not mean that his previous condition was “disobedience”.
It means that his previous condition was “authority”.
It’s exactly the same point that Paul was making, when he said that Jesus was “in the form of God”, but took upon himself, in becoming man, “the form of a servant” .

For the writer of Hebrews, the mission of Christ fulfils the declaration made in the Psalms;
“Sacrifices and offerings thou hast not desired, but a body thou hast prepared for me…
Lo, I have come to do thy will, O God, as it is written of me in the roll of the book” (Hebrews ch10 vv5-7).
I have argued, in the past, that the only kind of offering God ever wanted was the self-offering.
The essence of sin is our failure to offer ourselves to God in obedience, always holding something back.
But this failure is retrieved by the obedience of Christ as described in this passage.

Here the self-offering of Christ comes in two stages, the same two stages that we found in Philippians.
Firstly, the self-offering of the Son to become incarnate in human form.
The writer implies this, when he takes the Septuagint reading of the Psalm, “a body thou hast prepared for me”, rather than the Hebrew “thou hast given me an open ear”.
In effect, the birth of Christ was his first visible act of obedience.
But “I have come to do thy will” also describes his human existence, up to the moment of his death.
His self-offering to the Father was that he would come to live on earth, speak to the world in his Father’s name, and take anything that came as a result.

However, the human reaction to this mission meant that taking “anything that comes” would result in his death.
And it must have been known in advance that this would be the case.
It would have been embedded in the foreknowledge of the Son, when he offered himself to be born on earth.
The human mind of Jesus may not have shared this awareness at first, but he clearly knew what to expect after that conversation with Moses and Elijah.
Therefore acceptance of his Father’s will also entailed acceptance of his own death.
An obedience which fell short of that point would not have been complete.

“He who wills the end also wills the means”.
The self-offering of the Son was made, in full, when he conformed himself to the will of the Father.
The death of Jesus on the Cross was the unavoidable consequence of this obedience.

edit on 21-9-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
N.T.S. stands for New Testament Salvation.
This thread is one of a series, and I wanted to mark the fact without making the title too cumbersome.
The series is a sequel to, and the consummation of, the older series on Old Testament remedies for sin.
In that series, sin is defined as a relationship problem; the human will is out of alignment with the will of God.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Outstanding......flag in a minute here......

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
Thank you. We get to the Resurrection next week.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It just seems real easy to make up any story and have it fulfill all kinds of prophesies when you write the thing 100 years after the events supposedly happened.

Heaps of emphasis on the supposedly.
edit on 21-9-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

The death of Jesus on the Cross was the unavoidable consequence of this obedience.

You believe this...... and you still think this thing is worth worshipping? What kind of psycho looks up to and praises the most evil idea of a god that has ever existed?

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

For most people, reading the bible is enough to turn their stomach, or at least turn them into atheists.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

For most people, reading the bible is enough to turn their stomach, or at least turn them into atheists.

It's funny how you seem to think the bible is supposed to be a book of good and nice things
It's a warts and all account of human failure, success and evil, good and bad, right and wrong. How many other civilizations tell the truth throughout their history
I don't get how you think you are so much better than these humans

The bible is supposed to turn your stomach, one of the few books that doesn't sell propoganda and success.

Has any civilisation since proved any better?
Now we just get the media lying and covering the truth

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver
The question is irrelevant.
If you worked yourself up into a state of moral disapproval about the existence of the Atlantic Ocean, you would still need a life-jacket.
If something is true, it doesn't depend on our approval or disapproval.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I meet God Face To Face All The Time. I was with Jesus only a few hours ago. He is !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! MAGNIFICENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh God I LOve Him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is amazing !!!!!
He takes me to Heaven & keeps promising me eternal life !!!!

I say i don't want eternal life because i have seen God & there is nothing left to achieve. I am satisfied & now i can die happy. But Jesus keeps saying He is going to take me to live forever with Him. He has said that a thousand times. He says He does not abandon any souls.

Jesus says He & The Father Will Manifest To You. Believe it.

John 14:21-26 King James Version (KJV) 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings:

edit on 22-9-2018 by SourcePage because: add typos

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SourcePage
Not really on topic for this particular thread, which is about the obedience and death of Jesus.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
well only the most stupidest person in the world would think that the Jesus in the story was not obeying God with every breath He took. You don't have to go through the book over & over as if you need to convince people that Jesus obeyed God till the end. They all know He did. They have heard the story a million times. You are just repeating it over & over & over & over & over & over.....

The question is whether people will obey God (Jesus) as well.

I was pointing out that I meet God The Father & Christ His Son & They are Real & Promise me Eternal Life. This is intended to encourage all folk to believe in The Living God's Love, & Obey God in everything they do till the end.

I was only trying to help people believe. Obviously this has upset you & I apologise.

John 14:21-26 King James Version (KJV) 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Not really on topic for this particular thread, which is about the obedience and death of Jesus.

There are people like you who believe the stories but may well be a fairly rational person in other aspects of your life.

And then there are people like the poster above who maybe doesn’t have the faculties to express anything more than an undying need to fulfill what they believe their god wants. By any means necessary. If you know what i mean. They don’t really study the stories they just get an idea in their head and use that to justify whatever actions they deem as obedient.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think I will let that poster make his own defence.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I think I will let that poster make his own defence.

People will believe the most unbelievable stories.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Of course Jesus was obedient to His Father. Are you mental??You must be if you imagine there is anything else to the story. He wasn't a piece of garbage like the rest of us. He was God.

You are going to burn in Hell like everyone else. You are not going to Heaven like The Saints. You don't obey Jesus so you are a gonner

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Jesus would get abused by preachers because He spoke of The Living God while they just parroted dead books. He broke all their stupid rules while they were sheep that obeyed them.

That is exactly what you bozos did when I spoke of The Living God who had visited me that very day. You abused me for speaking about The Living God on your precious dead scripture parroting thread. So you represent The evil preachers who do not know The Living God, & who killed Jesus!!
That's a fact

Behold. Ye Are Wicked & Evil & Do Not Know God Or Christ
LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

He takes me to Heaven & keeps promising me eternal life !!!!

Gives you lollies and asks you to get in his car as well?

Take care if he does, turn and run the other way.

I say i don't want eternal life because i have seen God & there is nothing left to achieve.

You see God and Jesus whenever you want but they haven't told you that life is not about achievements but simply about experiences which test us with choices that when we make them create a future to move into?

well only the most stupidest person in the world would think that the Jesus in the story was not obeying God with every breath He took.

only a person with the intellect of a 10 year old writes like this.

I was pointing out that I meet God The Father & Christ His Son & They are Real & Promise me Eternal Life. This is intended to encourage all folk to believe in The Living God's Love, & Obey God in everything they do till the end.

Sorry but that really encourages people away from whatever hallucinations you say you are having.

I was only trying to help people believe.

Believe in what?

anyone reading what you are posting believes, what they believe after reading your posts is something else.

You are going to burn in Hell like everyone else. You are not going to Heaven like The Saints. You don't obey Jesus so you are a gonner

who do you direct these vile posts at?

in every thread you enter, mostly religious ones, you post that you met God an hour ago and how everyone is stupid and evil.

Sorry but saying you post like you have the intellect of a 10 year old was giving you too much credit.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

only a person with the intellect of a 10 year old writes like this. - Spiritard

Matthew 18:2-4 21st Century King James Version (KJ21) 2 And Jesus called a little child unto Him, and set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, “Verily I say unto you, unless ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.

God is bigger than the universe. It's quite amazing. God picks me up & lifts me out of the universe & then the universe becomes as small as a pea & God steps over it. God shows me a library that holds every person's life in a living book. All lives are pre-written. People are just led through them. Jesus' life was pre-written as well. He went around getting things (souls) for God. You say life is not about getting things it is about experiencing things. You are wrong. We are supposed to help Jesus with the harvest & gather souls for god. That is what i do. God told me that is what i am here on earth for.

You insult The Father God & Jesus when a stranger says He has had an encounter with Them. LOL !!! You are a devil.

Since i was a tiny child God has taken me to see Heaven & Hell. I am made to watch as people are judged & thrown into The Fiery Lake. God teaches me all things & loves me, & i am a nothing. I'm just a spec of dust. I mention to you all that i meet God face to face & you are not the slightest bit interested. Your souls are dead. You are lifeless lumps of ignorance trying to act intelligent. You are a nothing without God. An absolute zero.

posted on Sep, 24 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Beautifully written DISRAELI. Looking forward to more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join