It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Ted Bundy given a over exaggerated title

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

It's an oddity of being human how so many people are fascinated by serial killers and their misdeeds. I used to read my mum's murder books as a teen until one about Dahmer put me off them for life. He'd done something foul that somehow locked itself in my mind for a few days and kept making me heave.

The titles seem quite arbitrary considering how many prolific killers there have been. Who's to say one was more 'evil' than another? Is it measured by death tolls, period of activity, anonymity, intelligence, methodology etc? The answer's in book sales and YT hits imo. Gotta get a click-bait title to get readers and viewers.

Slightly off-topic, it's interesting how we give different values to contract killers over serial killers. There have been gang-affiliated hitmen who've been rumoured to have three figures in kills. They mostly torture and kill their own so we don't twitch or feel the same levels of disgust. They can even get a lot of respect which is a peculiar way to regard cold-blooded murderers. People generally respect some idea of the clever hitman despite them historically killing witnesses, judges, police and innocent bystanders.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In the name of science we need to start digging deeper into the hearts of these monsters until we get to the very bottom of things...with dull rusty butter knives.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

There have been a few good studies of the brains of killers and nobody needed 'rusty butter knives.' Side by comparisons with 'normal' brains and convicted murderer's brains show significant differences. They have less activity up front where a lot of higher level social thinking occurs. Murderers act differently to the gen pop because their brains aren't like the rest of us.

It's a can of worms. Objectively, serial killers are victims of their own misshapen brains. Are they still accountable for their actions? Should they be imprisoned for life to protect society based on their stunted brains? Would it be wrong to scan young adults and weed out all the potential murderers from the gene pool? I'd say yes it is wrong, but it's still a can of worms.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

There have been a few good studies of the brains of killers and nobody needed 'rusty butter knives.' Side by comparisons with 'normal' brains and convicted murderer's brains show significant differences. They have less activity up front where a lot of higher level social thinking occurs. Murderers act differently to the gen pop because their brains aren't like the rest of us.

It's a can of worms. Objectively, serial killers are victims of their own misshapen brains. Are they still accountable for their actions? Should they be imprisoned for life to protect society based on their stunted brains? Would it be wrong to scan young adults and weed out all the potential murderers from the gene pool? I'd say yes it is wrong, but it's still a can of worms.

I believe the representation of these studies to be biased in our convo….there is certainly a defined group of killers who display commonalities in terms of unusual brain functions and pathologies...many things are root causality of these unusual brain profiles from Post-Concussion Syndrome which can happen to even infants with later life impacts and implications related to violence in thought and actions....there are crack babies and fetal alcohol babies and babies whose moms took prescription drugs during term and shaken abused babies and thousands of other potential scenarios around which abnormal brain development and function can be polarised.

Brain scans are not definitive when it comes to defining causality...they are only generic markers....represented as diagnostic results...there are also many people who display these symptomatic brain dysfunctions intermittently.

These studies are very very limited in scope and in value IMHO....such a small number of cases from very specific study groups have been used as weighted factors that the studies are self-defeating....unless we can do studies on a larger number or brains of violent criminals and attatch accurate true causality to their individual cases,then parse together a valid pattern-based study....we cannot give much credence to these IMHO small special interest group catalysed studies.

I agree that the abnormal findings have value...however until we can find ways to ACCURATELY DEFINE CAUSALITY of each and every so-called abnormal finding we are not gleaning any data of true value in terms of remediation potentials.

Murderes brains may or may not have been like everyone elses...and unless we have cases where full scope brain scans have been done at defined developmental intervals so we may do a pre and post-murder comparative study....our results will be skewed by proxy.....yes we can say definitively that in some limited post-crime studies findings show that there is a high propensity for diminished brain activity and function in a common thread area or areas....in actuality we arent even sure that the trauma of committing these types of crimes and the aftermath does not in some ways damage these brain functions...much is still to be learned.

I do not personally think that diminished or damaged brain function is the driver behind murder in the majority of cases where post-crime analysis of brain scans shows results interpreted as abnormalities... there are millions and millions of people with diminished brain function and capacity in these exact same areas who do not ever commit violent crimes...

I will refer to a common practice in my Country....if you are a Senior person and have say a stroke which causes you to lose a significant amout of ability to live a normal life....you may have to foot the bill for all of your own care which means your spouse and estate must absorb these immense costs....owever...if you have a smart sympathetic Dr. he/she will simply do a brain scan of your 85 year old brain and then identify areas of diminished function and capability in the diagnostic results and then come to a finding that you have say dementia...in which case even though you really had a stroke and should be paying your own bills until you nd your Senior Spouse are broke and homeless and destitute you will now be covered by the Government for all costs...you wil be subsidised.

I am trying to show how generic these diagnostic brain scan type findings really are if you cannot with 100% surety define causality.

We are on the right path...but far from any conclusive usable findings.

I grew up in an environment where killing was a necessary part of life...killing is killing...it is a decision...I killed for food or meat when I butchered domestic animals ....I killed for meat when I hunted wild animals...I killed for profit when I killed problem animals including predators and disruptive pets to protect my herd of cattle and other types of livestock....killing and violence is in no way connected to brain development....what has been uploaded into these lower functioning brains is what is faulty and what catalyses these decisions...it is the emotional component of the crimes which is relevant....and this emotonal component may or may not be NORMAL....if billions of normal brained people make the decisions to kill including people for various reasons...how much weight can we give to the excuse that violent criminals act out due to brain abnormalities....how much weight do these studies of very generic diagnostic results really carry...IMHO not much....yet...much work is still to be done.

Truth be told...if we can demand fingerprints and DNA from convicted criminals we should be able to demand brain scans and if we do this then we have the basis for the beginnings of what could be a relevant study....you see we need to see how many people who DO NOT commit violent crimes but end up in jail have these same diagnostic markers....and then we need an equally numbered study of volunteer normal non-criminal brain scans to add to the study.....the connection between diagnostic markers and emotional impacts must be accurately and fully realised and documented....we may discover patterns of non-criminal behaviours in a large segment of the population who walk around every day with these same diagnostic markers present.....there is much to be learned.
edit on 22-9-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

.you see we need to see how many people who DO NOT commit violent crimes but end up in jail have these same diagnostic markers....and then we need an equally numbered study of volunteer normal non-criminal brain scans to add to the study.

There's a very interesting TED talk from many years ago that speaks to what you say there. The guy was called Jim Fallon and he discovered that his own brain showed the structure and gene markers for being a psychopath. Here's a short summary:

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   

.you see we need to see how many people who DO NOT commit violent crimes but end up in jail have these same diagnostic markers....and then we need an equally numbered study of volunteer normal non-criminal brain scans to add to the study.

There's a very interesting TED talk from many years ago that speaks to what you say there. The guy was called Jim Fallon and he discovered that his own brain showed the structure and gene markers for being a psychopath. Here's a short summary:

@3:24 and @3:30 and @3:31 we see 3 distinct stages of a message being broadcast for all to receive.....we see the removal of the sheeps clothing from the wolf...we see the veil removed voluntarily as this man allows the dark-side to free itself and revel in the fact it can be made public if even for a brief moment devoid of tangible action and impact.

What a great link and video..

I have witnessed this transformation many times in my life...I am an Intuitive Empath by nature...one very much like this man who jumps to mind that landed squarely on the opposite side of the fence to Mr.Fallon ....
www.youtube.com...

@:46 and @:47 and @:48 seconds we see a rapid transmission of this very same message that Fallon sends ...in a series of three blinks of his eyes we witness the same willfull decision to let the wolf out....they get absolutely excited when they are most self-inflective and self-absorbed and I think this level of excitement is very very close to what they feel when they decide to commit crimes.If you are tuned into reading the body language and contextual fabric of what they say you can pin these people down via their uncontrolable relex traits.

I think we are witnessing the transition point where the proverbial emotional and empathy dials are beng intentionally turned wayyy down.....which is why it seems like a veil drops suddenly...however by reading where we see both men contextually in the videos we can see that the moment they DECIDE to become self-inflective...their guards come down or they CHOOSE to let these checks and balances drop away as they revel in quasi-public self-absorbtion. To me it is the eyes which truly are the windows to the soul and it is by noting their eyes that you can begin to accurately guage and read their levels of excitement and interest .

I have had more than one occasion in my life where this transformation occurred and I was present...I truly believe that I saved my own life several times and also prevented myself from being unwilling witness to capitol crimes.... I have fled for my very life from this transformation and it is the very last opportunity to egress IMHO before you are drug into a vortex you cannot ever fully control .
edit on 22-9-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Kuklinski. Now that was a terrifying man. As you probably know, he once had a man begging to be spared and who said, "Please God." Kuklinski denied God and gave him half an hour to pray, alone in a room, and then killed him. It's one of the most psychologically torturous things I've ever heard. At least even Kuk said he felt a twinge of something he couldn't put his finger on - empathy or remorse?

I saw a long interview with him years ago and remember those subtle changes of expression and eyes changing.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Kuklinski. Now that was a terrifying man. As you probably know, he once had a man begging to be spared and who said, "Please God." Kuklinski denied God and gave him half an hour to pray, alone in a room, and then killed him. It's one of the most psychologically torturous things I've ever heard. At least even Kuk said he felt a twinge of something he couldn't put his finger on - empathy or remorse?

I saw a long interview with him years ago and remember those subtle changes of expression and eyes changing.

I try not to watch to many of those types of videos I allot an educational amount of time and that is all its a fine line between doing that and giving these h2o thieves any notoriety whatsoever which I really don't wish to do...I wish for them all to be forgotten ASAP........Nothing surprises me with these types.IMHO some of them have just learned how to shut off or pause their conscience to differing degrees...like I had to and others have to to butcher animals for food or other reasons .....some kill for Sport with emotions involved...some kill for food with rituals involved and some just kill ....some murders are acts of uncontrolled emotion ….some murders are quasi-controlled or ritualistic....and some are absolutely controlled and are emotionless and non-ritualistic.....pain-purpose-profit...those 3 drivers seem to jump out to me....the emotional content seems to differ...showing that non-criminal killers also choose to choose their weapons emotionally so to speak because each allots a specific amount of emotional input from Max to Zero....really I guess volunteer soldiers also choose from this spectrum according to what area they ask for.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join