It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal students admit Trump is helping economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
After reading another ante-Trump thread, I wondered yet again if there are any Dems who give credit where credit is due. Or if any have dug deep enough that they have come to agree that the FISA/Collusion witch hunt is a shameful scam and a true threat to our constitutional republic.

While I'm not sure about the latter, I was pleasantly surprised to find there is a case for the former. And on a college campus no less. Much respect to the young folk that were honest enough to do so. I hope their cars don't get keyed or something when the vid makes its rounds.

Last week, President Obama stirred controversy after giving a speech where he told attendees that credit for the historically strong U.S. economy should go to him, and not President Trump. 

After accusing Trump of being a “threat to our democracy,” Obama went on to say “When you hear how great the economy’s doing right now, let’s just remember when this recovery started,” alluding to his own role in the economic upturn. 

"[E]conomically I feel like [Trump] is really helping us."    Tweet This

President Trump responded quickly, telling supporters “He was trying to take credit for this incredible thing that’s happening. It wasn’t him.” 

So who deserves credit for how well the economy is performing? 

Campus Reform headed to Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan to ask students for their opinions. 

“He’s been out long enough now, [the economy] is not on him anymore, it’s more on Donald Trump. I guess he’s a little bit in the wrong,” said one student when asked about former President Obama’s comments.  

“I would, unfortunately, side with Trump on this one. I think he has done a lot for the economy that Obama didn’t do such a good job on so I’ll side with Trump on that one,” added another. 

Other students added “I feel like once a President’s done they hand it off,” and “in terms of [economic] confidence and changing people’s attitudes, I would say that’s mostly Trump.” 

Throughout the day, many self-identified liberals were in agreement: even if they didn’t like to admit it, Trump’s economy is booming. 

“Of all the things I have a problem with, the economy isn’t one of them… He’s a businessman. I think that’s his strong suit,” admitted one student. 

“His tweets and stuff, I find offensive… but economically I feel like he’s really helping us,” said one, while another added, “overall yeah, he does make some good deals.” 

Another student said she hoped he’d become “a little bit more well mannered,” but when it came down to it, “I do know for a fact he’s been helping… and we’ve been doing better with unemployment.”  

Liberal students admit Trump is helping economy

By golly President Trump is making friends everywhere.

Twitter Link

Save the Republic and #justwalkaway

edit on 20-9-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Left vs right, left vs right, left vs right! War! War! War! Blame blame blame everyone else!

Say it with me people. Let's continue to buy into the divisive rhetoric being employed by the media, government and Hollywood to divide us down social lines! Don't you see how well it's working? Let's keep going down the same road to nowhere, just follow the media directions just like we are right now.

Sounds fun doesn't it? Must be seeing as that's what we continue to do on these boards every day. Let's keep hating our neighbors and alienating ourselves from other points of view! Whew! Thanks CNN and Trump! Keep giving us the fuel we need in order to justify our hate for others, it's really doing our country a lot of good.
edit on 9/20/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
well, for some reason Republican's don't like admitting that most of the market growth in the DOW is being driven by stock buy backs

money.cnn.com...

While the legislation faces an uphill battle getting through Republican-controlled Congress, it demonstrates a growing backlash against companies using extra cash to reward shareholders instead of sharing it with workers.

Now I'm no Democrat, I think the market should respond by not conducting any personal business with companies that do not take care of their employee's. That's what I do. Let's take Amazon as an example. I shop there as little as is humanly possible.

www.housingwire.com...

Secondly, the next biggest factor in current market growth is CONFIDENCE, not actual wealth generation but people taking loans out on the equity in their homes and other forms of loans which actually raised the GDP.

The data comes courtesy of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s Center for Microeconomic Data, which just released its latest Quarterly Report on Household Debt and Credit.

The latest report, which covers the second quarter of 2018, shows that total household debt in the U.S. increased by $82 billion in the second quarter, meaning Americans now collectively carry $13.29 trillion in debt.

You really gotta dig into what's going on with the economy to understand the underlying factor's and where it's heading.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
God forbid a liberal admits that... has hell frozen over?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Of course there's something to what you say. On the other hand our situation is more complex than you make it imo.

Personally and admittedly I'm torn and conflicted. On the one hand our nation is guilty of unforgivable crimes against humanity and sociopathic imperialism. We're going the way of Rome and deserve it. I blame myself. Imo, you should blame yourself too because we've buried our heads in the sand far too long while enjoying our terminal consumerism.

On the other hand we the people, and our constitution, aren't totally without merit and worth battling for. So I don't think staying out of the debate is the answer.

But we're off topic, which is okay with me, but as such not really the place to go too deeply into it. Peace and goodwill to you old friend. We've had many great conversations in years past and even though I'm quite vociferous with political and social opinions as of late, I too long for the simpler days.

edit on 20-9-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You really gotta dig into what's going on with the economy to understand the underlying factor's and where it's heading.

it started with the Fed and we've gone into impossible debt institutionally and personally. Not to mention our international corporations, their lobbyists, and the sellout politicians who gutted our manufacturing base. It will crash. How'd I do?

In the meantime there are things that can be--and some things that are--being done that can rollback the inevitable to some degree. We can at least give him an E for effort imo.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

the problem is that the dollar is worthless and people are working harder for less money so they can't actually buy anything without debt

on average I'm not talking about the 1% (anyone making 50k or more or whatever is technically the 1%)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It's not an one or the other answer.

The economy was doing well under Obama and has continued to do well under Trump.

There has been no massive economic turn around under Trump but the positive trends have continued.

We won't really be able to judge the Trump economy for another year or so at least. If he can keep inflation under control without taking too much of the momentum out of the economy he will be doing well.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Personally I wouldn't be that concerned about the stock buy backs but increasing personal debt is potentially major issue.

Personal debt can only expand beyond income growth for so long before it destabilises the economy.
edit on 21-9-2018 by ScepticScot because: Edited for clarity

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Last week, President Obama stirred controversy after giving a speech where he told attendees that credit for the historically strong U.S. economy should go to him, and not President Trump.

That's because Obama is,and will always forever be a Sniphat.

If Obama gets credit for the current economy then he also gets credit for the current debt.

They aren't going to get it both ways.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The economy is doing great right now but it comes with a cost. Trump's decisions on the environment will be such that we will pay for it well into the future. Short term gain, long term loss.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Personal debt can only expand beyond income growth for so long before it destabilises the economy.

the buy backs don't bother, if a company wants to buy more of it's own stock with profits I personally have no problem with that

the debt to income ratio is a HUGE problem, average people need more purchasing power in their hands before our society totally destabilizes which is the direction we currently trending towards

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

The economy is doing great right now but it comes with a cost. Trump's decisions on the environment will be such that we will pay for it well into the future. Short term gain, long term loss.

Yea, it's frustrating to see trump supporters blindly support everything he does. I have no problem with saying that the economy has been doing well under trump. Yet, does a good economy give trump a free pass on criticism?

Trump appears to be a wild card pariah. Yet, is he really much different? He continued the total support of Saudi Arabia and Israel. Two long-term human rights abusers. He removed the Iran deal, further creating tensions with Iran.
He praised a dictator (North Korea) in hopes of getting on his good side. He hired an anti-environmentalist to head the EPA. He is tough on immigration and has a desire to step up military spending.

The economy and his ideas (like tariffs) are the only thing that really stands out to me( besides his wacky personality).

I'm just not seeing this country changing hero his supporters see him as. And honestly, I want the Russian probe to conclude so we can focus on what trump is doing right or wrong as president.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wish we would just be honest with ourselves and each other instead of parroting political propaganda.

Did the economy prosper under Obama?
Is the economy prospering under Trump?

As a small business owner, community volunteer and organizer, former school administrator, and house owner and one who has gone on several job searches and worked on several different jobs. Who's lived in several different states during these times and has relatives in half a dozen other states.... I think I have a pretty good handle on this.

The answer to both questions is yes.

But your news pundit/expert on TV and Radio won't allow you to believe this.
edit on 21-9-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

top topics

join