It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What worries you most these days?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Going to jail for driving to fast.
Not joking.

Avoidable in theory, very difficult in practice.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Accelerated Climate Change.

I thought I'd die before it got this bad.

From the military not a 'liberal' source:

climateandsecurity.org...

Given that rapid climate change is projected to exacerbate most of the above categories of risks throughout this century (its effect on wind is less certain), the reasonable expectation is that vulnerabilities to military sites will increase unless significant resources are devoted to adapting DoD assets to this changing operational environment, and/or the rate and scale of climate change is reduced. What is potentially significant about this survey, however, is how widespread climate change-related risks to military assets already are.

and that's only direct climate threats to 'installations' around the world.

No mention of the actual and potential 'security' threats.

And then there is this:

psmag.com...

While the Trump administration has largely rejected climate change as an issue, the Department of Defense and Congress have identified it as a major potential threat to national security.

Can't eat money and can't pay the weather to be nice to you.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My eyes open upon waking, my brain immediately reflects over how thankful I am to get another chance to witness life's miracles, and the moments I step into thereafter make worries stay at a distance... often a far distance.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

While the Trump administration has largely rejected climate change as an issue, the Department of Defense and Congress have identified it as a major potential threat to national security.

The people of Oregon seem to setting a fine example in how to find more sustainable ways of living though...it's not all doom and gloom.

I would also recommend reading Donella Meadows.

"It is difficult to speak of or to practice love, friendship, generosity, understanding, or solidarity within a system whose rules, goals and information streams are geared for lesser human qualities. But we try, and we urge you to try. Be patient with yourself and others as you and they confront the difficulty of a changing world. Understand and empathise with inevitable resistance; there is some resistance, some clinging to the ways of unsustainability within each of us. Include everyone in the new world. Everyone will be needed. Seek out and trust the best human instincts in yourself and in everyone. Listen to the cynicism around you and pity those who believe it, but don't believe in it yourself." (Meadows et al 1992, p234, cited in Systems Thinkers, Open University)

We can but keep trying, picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and starting all over again.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 04:51 AM
link   
My short list is I worry about: our health, our retirement, and the grandchildren. The rest of the world can take care of it’s self.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
schizophrenic penguins

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KilgoreTrout

originally posted by: FyreByrd

The people of Oregon seem to setting a fine example in how to find more sustainable ways of living though...it's not all doom and gloom.

I would also recommend reading Donella Meadows.

"It is difficult to speak of or to practice love, friendship, generosity, understanding, or solidarity within a system whose rules, goals and information streams are geared for lesser human qualities. But we try, and we urge you to try. Be patient with yourself and others as you and they confront the difficulty of a changing world. Understand and empathise with inevitable resistance; there is some resistance, some clinging to the ways of unsustainability within each of us. Include everyone in the new world. Everyone will be needed. Seek out and trust the best human instincts in yourself and in everyone. Listen to the cynicism around you and pity those who believe it, but don't believe in it yourself." (Meadows et al 1992, p234, cited in Systems Thinkers, Open University)

We can but keep trying, picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves off and starting all over again.

I don't disagree with you, many people are doing great things around the world. However, it is, I'm afraid, too little and too late. This is one area that without the cooperation of everyone, nothing substantive will happen.

All the treaties in the world will do no good whatsoever if they are empty promises without action behind them.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Worry is fretting about a thousand possible contradictory outcomes.

I don't worry. I'm under orders not to:

"Seek ye first, therefore, the kingdom of God, and God's righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you...."

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

"If we believe that it's effectively over, that we are fatally flawed, that the most greedy and short-sighted among us will always be permitted to rule, that we can never constrain our consumption and destruction, that each of us is too small and helpless to do anything, that we should give up and enjoy our SUVs while they last, well, then yes, it's over."
(Meadows 2001)

Personally, seeing all the bright lights out there lighting our way out of that darkness, getting off their arses and doing every little that they can to make a difference, then for me, it ain't over till it's over. There is power in your pocket and actions if only you are willing to wield it. As Meadows would say, think globally, act locally.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Like you, I really worry about: Economic downturn (A Depression worse than 2007), Job Loss, War and rations, or all out Armaggedon, whatever the cause. I've been spending the end of the Summer canning vegetables and fruits. I have purchased mylar bags and oxygen absorbers for the bulk rice and other things I plan to long term store. Yes, I've been slowly collecting food grade storage containers to put them in. Stocking up on pet food, canned goods, water. I have been working on a long term pantry, and other household supplies. I want to take the precautions I can to prevent my own suffering, my kids suffering, and perhaps have bartering materials. Even in a short term disaster it will be good to know I won't starve. But long term, if we suffered a job loss, to know we can supplement ourselves with food if all of our money has to go to our house payment to have somewhere to live, we will survive.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Other people. More people more complex problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join