It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why ask why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I have some simple questions. Please don't be a jerk about it, just genuine honest questions. thanks!

Why does it seem like people have to prove that they have faith? Is it that they are really just as lost as the person they are trying to convince and not knowing what to believe? or not trusting in their own faith, so they try to prove it mostly to themselves? Why do people need proof of God or a higher being? how can they not believe when they can clearly see everything around them? How much proof would be enough? What kind of proof would it have to be? If someone already believes, why spend so much time asking "why" and trying to decipher and figure it out? Is not simply just to believe enough? If you're a dog, you don't have to be convinced that you're a dog, you're just a dog and you're content with that you know?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Skorpiogurl

Why not?

Why is a very powerful word that's connected to deep emotional feelings.

When you become at one with yourself, is it not something you want to share with others.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skorpiogurl
I have some simple questions. Please don't be a jerk about it, just genuine honest questions. thanks!

Why does it seem like people have to prove that they have faith? Is it that they are really just as lost as the person they are trying to convince and not knowing what to believe? or not trusting in their own faith, so they try to prove it mostly to themselves? Why do people need proof of God or a higher being? how can they not believe when they can clearly see everything around them? How much proof would be enough? What kind of proof would it have to be? If someone already believes, why spend so much time asking "why" and trying to decipher and figure it out? Is not simply just to believe enough? If you're a dog, you don't have to be convinced that you're a dog, you're just a dog and you're content with that you know?

In what way do you mean?

If you mean being ostentatious about their faith in the manner of loud praying or proselytizing or wearing large faith symbols, etc., Christ actually admonished us not to make displays of faith just to show off and advertise how Christian they are. It is difficult to say though when you see a family simply saying a quick, quiet grace over their food, whether they're doing it out of faith or because they want everyone to see their piety. I'd lean toward the former because they aren't going out of their way to make sure everyone notices them in prayer. They're just doing it matter-of-factly.

Sometimes, people are excited about their faith, especially new Christians. That's why they tend to be loud about it too. It's not so much a confidence issue as it is enthusiasm like we all have for that great new thing we've discovered. Sometimes, yeah, it's a confidence thing, but it's not exclusive to people of faith. People in politics are like that too. That "I'm going to be loud and obnoxious and chase away everyone who doesn't think like me" attitude serves to insulate us only with those who are like us. There is safety with our own because we're never challenged by differences.

Do people really want proof or do they use it as a polite excuse to refuse to live up to the expectations of faith?

I've found that faith fuels a hunger to know more. Like any relationship, you want to know the person you're in it with better and better. That's the "why." The only way to know is to study and learn more about it all.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
1. People are probably experiencing paranormal phenomena that the only way to express it is under the word faith.
They are not lost, they merely went to church for so many years that they are beginning to see their own self manifestations.
They trust in faith because its the only way to explain their view of the paranormal.

2. People want proof of god even though inside they know there is one, they choose to ignore this feeling and want evidence supporting their years of belief.
Some people are raised differently than others, so they don't see through the same views.

3. There is no definitive amount of proof to prove anything. All is proof and all is not proof. The type of evidence depends on the individual as they seek different answers.

4. They don't want their beliefs to be shatter but reinforced. Its like a stubborn man to refuse accept he is stubborn even though he sees what's causing his life to be stubborn yet self indulges in it.

5. The left side of the brain always wants confirmations about its details. It wants to explore what the right side already knows. It cant. It will always see itself as the right side but reality says otherwise.

No matter how much faith someone tells you, you need to have in order to achieve what you couldn't in the past, its up to you to use those beliefs to your own advantage or disregard and find another answer.

We are all equally equal and unequal. Such a balence is required to sustain our system on earth.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Idk.....maybe you are young still.........and need more time in the seat to see how life works in the long haul......no telling

But your question stands as valid......just has a slant to it or a bias.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

It’s in our nature to want to know why, it’s what we do. We try to understand everything we can about the reality we find ourselves in so as to better our chances of survival/success on one level and on another to derive meaning and or significance in some way.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I think simply your question could be answered with people's insecurity.

People who have something to prove many times must question their own beliefs.

On the flip side, people who dog other people for what they believe must have some demons about their own convictions.

The people who have no quarrels with their structure often don't mind giving or receiving good hearted criticism.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

but why do people question their beliefs? I mean if you believe something, I guess something big has to happen to make you question everything? Maybe I'm just weird. I've never questioned my beliefs.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

well I feel bad for the first two kinds of people

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

What slant? what kind of bias?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

So it seems like no matter what, people are going to just look for the kind of proof that fits their own beliefs and not be open minded to anything else?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

So it seems like no matter what, people are going to just look for the kind of proof that fits their own beliefs and not be open minded to anything else?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I get really excited about my faith so I can get that

I also get what you're saying when you say faith fuels hunger to know more. I don't feel that but I get it.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

It seems so. Its not their fault though, they were raised with a certain mindset. It depends on them to seek or not.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Personally I think it’s healthy to question ones beliefs. Why believe anything at all with no hard evidence, or even empirical evidence?

Belief in something and knowledge of something are two different things. Not that it is wrong to believe in something, but you must be aware that which you believe is not that which you know.
edit on 20-9-2018 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I've never questioned my beliefs.

You don't have to question them for the day to arrive where you are forced to.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Okay but then it's super easy for folks to say "well there's no proof or evidence of God so I don't believe". I think that's a cop-out.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parishna

I've never questioned my beliefs.

You don't have to question them for the day to arrive where you are forced to.

Never going to happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Okay but then it's super easy for folks to say "well there's no proof or evidence of God so I don't believe". I think that's a cop-out.

Yes I’ve debated with such to no avail, it’s still their belief though, they can neither prove or provide evidence that there is no god either. You could argue that the entire universe and everything in it is evidence enough. The atheists position is simply they don’t know so they don’t believe and that’s a fair position to take.

It’s not as if god requires or would require anyone’s belief in it to exist, or for any other reason. Blind faith in something is what people question and rightly so.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Yes I’ve debated with such to no avail, it’s still their belief though, they can neither prove or provide evidence that there is no god either. You could argue that the entire universe and everything in it is evidence enough. The atheists position is simply they don’t know so they don’t believe and that’s a fair position to take.

It’s not as if god requires or would require anyone’s belief in it to exist, or for any other reason. Blind faith in something is what people question and rightly so.

I know what you're saying makes sense and I agree with all of that but well it just makes me frustrated and sad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join