It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures show final moments of couple killed in tsunami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Such a sad story. A Camera found in Thailand contained pictures of the tsunami that killed a Canadian couple.

www.cbc.ca...

This was the last pic on the memory card..

Click the first link to see all the pics.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
damnit.

If they had ran when the waters mysteriously receded they'd probably be alive. Others who did are.

Had ot be said in all honesty. Absolutely incredible pictures. Terrible that they had to die.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Your right Nygdan, but a lot of people, probably the majority, had no idea about tsunamis and what the water receeding could mean. Sad but true. IF there's one good thing that came of this it's that it has educated people.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
that just is the saddest thing................the people!! they're just standing there...............no one is running.........they're just standing there watching the water...........

that is just so unbelievable..............i can't imagine what i would feel........

that's just heartbreaking..........WHY didn't they run?????

angie

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by amb1063
...they're just standing there watching the water...........

........WHY didn't they run?????

angie

What's the point? Carl Lewis couldn't outrun that. And I don't think they were watching the water, they were probably saying goodbye to one another and saying "I love you".

Peace

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
They had no way of knowing until the very last moments, people just don't normally experience these kinds of things, and they certainly aren't thinkign about deathreacking tidal waves during their idyllic vacations. By the time anyone realized the danger, it'd've been too late.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
great find, those pictures are so telling, there's a couple hugging on the beach oblivious to what was happening and not even paying attention to the water, it just shows how suddenly and unexpectedly it all happened.

Those waves were huge though, that pic with the boats in the foreground gives quite an interesting and scary prospective of the scene.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Having lived near the ocean the majority of my life, I don't believe I would have run. I would have been amazed, but not scared. I even have friends that surfed (tried to) and went boogie boarding during the El Nino on the California coast a few years back.

This is what is scary to me. I never would have run.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Neat pics, but a sad story. Thanks for sharing it.

I too spent allot of time in the ocean, but I think I would have ran I if I thought I had enough time.

I've got nailed by a set of outsider waves in Hawaii once, but I was too far out so I had to go towards the waves to try to get beyond them before they broke. The water went from a bit higher than I could touch to waist high and I ran then swam towards the waves. The last one broke right on me (sudden change from about 4'-6' all day to 10'-12' in one set) and rolled me on the bottom for awhile & tore up my suit. I've stood & watched the over 20' foot waves, but you wouldn't catch me putting a toe in.

It's hard to get a perspective on those waves, but the boats in the one pic give you an idea. I wonder if the guy thought he was getting good pics of a boat disaster & ended up like a deer caught in the headlights.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by outsider]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by amb1063
...they're just standing there watching the water...........

........WHY didn't they run?????

angie

What's the point? Carl Lewis couldn't outrun that. And I don't think they were watching the water, they were probably saying goodbye to one another and saying "I love you".

Peace

yeah, that's how the their kids look at it.

Wow. Those pics are amazing.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
How sad...I get the chills looking at these pictures and reading the articles. My first instinct would have been to run run run but for what?
I doubt if many had enough time to escape. Life is so precious and it could be gone in an instant.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
That is so sad but if they didn't know what was coming then how could they know.....now at least people can see....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Hey you never know what kind of opportunity you have until you take the chance right? Deciding not to run is just like hitting a fork in the road and then turning around. I would have ran while trying to think what the hell I could do to avoid dieing when it gets behind me.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe that flash card was still intact. What a sad story as I can't even imagine what these people went through seconds later. On a side note, I believe those pictures were taken at the same time of that now famous German video. It looks as if they might have been standing right down shore from the person holding the video camera. You can see the boats and the same terrain.

www.blogtelevision.net...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Has the German video been translated? Do we know if they survived? Sad to hear the baby in the background.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
It's sad to say but I doubt that they were able to survive for this was one of the hardest hit areas. In fact the millitary boat you see in that video was found 2.5 kilometers inland. If you look about a three quarters of the way down the linked page you will see the boat just sitting there in the middle of the jungle.

www.phuketdeepseafishing.com...#

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That wave...It looks like snow avalanch. The water is so churned it has all turned white. That must have been a terrifing experience. The pics just send chills down my spin

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Chilling stuff. The last photo is of the wave about 15m from the photographer. May the couple and all other victims rest in peace.

The same as SourGrapes, I grew up near the ocean. I've seen some pretty big waves, but they all run out of steam once they break. I don't think I would have run. I would have been standing there saying, "gee, that's a pretty big wave", right up until it crashed over the beach and washed inland.

We're conditioned by hollywood to think that tsunamis are huge, ten-storey-high waves, when in fact they look pretty much like other large waves that break without incident. The difference is in the massive amount of energy that they carry which causes them to continue over the shoreline.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think it was great for the family to release the pictures, it seems that they really wanted the world to know their parent's story. Especially that fact, that they stayed next to each other to the end. Being raised near the ocean in southern california, I have seen and ridden some pretty spectacular waves, I know for one, that if I were to leave this world, it would be on a wave, dying what love doing. The people in the photo really had no chance, and if they did, I don't think they would want to leave their loved ones on the shore.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Wow, those are tragic & breathtaking photographs...

If I was in that situation, I would have probably done the same thing. There would be such a slim chance of trying to outrun such a natural disaster.

top topics

join