It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exposing China's Digital Dystopian Dictatorship (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Back in 2014 the Communist Party of China announced that they planned to implement a Social Credit System, much like the episode of Black Mirror where everyone has a social rating which determines things such as access to loans and transportation. In practice this means that if you post something the government doesn't like on the internet you lose credit, just having friends with a low score in your social network will lower your score.

The Chinese government has announced a new universal reputation score, tied to every person in the country's nation ID number and based on such factors as political compliance, hobbies, shopping, and whether you play videogames.

It's a perfect storm of terrible: the program will be administered by Alibaba (China's answer to Amazon) and Tencent (the country's huge, government-compliant social network). Your score will be generated not only by your activities, but by the activities of the friends in your social graph -- the people you identify as friends on social media. Your score will be decremented for doing things like mentioning Tienanmen Square or speculating on official corruption, or for participating in activities that the state wishes to "nudge" you away from, like playing video-games.

All scores are public to everyone, and high-scoring individuals will get privileges denied to their less fortunate peers, such as permits to visit (or live) in Singapore (you can't make this # up). Already, some Chinese people are embracing their scores as bragworthy.

China's new "Citizen Scores" will rate every person in the country

Fast forward to 2018 and much of these plans are now a reality and having a large impact on how people in China go about their lives. ABC News Australia recently uploaded a surprisingly good investigative report which exposes how this authoritarian system is already being used to negatively impact political dissidents. They also speak to some of the people supporting this new system and the reasons they like it, basically it comes down to arguments appealing to the greater good, what a surprise.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Good post

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Previous thread

China's Social Credit Score

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pointr97

The social credit system and its similarities to Black Mirror have been discussed several times, this thread is more about that video as it does a great job of showing how the system actually works.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

The social credit system and its similarities to Black Mirror have been discussed several times, this thread is more about that video as it does a great job of showing how the system actually works.

There is an association to the show, but your post is not a stand alone concept from the other thread.....'explaining' how it works is incorporated in the articles that were also linked in the other thread. Please explain how this warrants a separate thread.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

The topic of the thread is the video, I only added some commentary as per ATS rules. I could have posted in your thread but I didn't know it existed until now. However it's not like I just learned about this, here's something I posted over a year ago in a thread where we were discussing that episode of Black Mirror:

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Wookiep

I've seen this ep of Black Mirror and it was very good. It's worth mentioning that something like this is already underway in China. Post something bad on the internet and you lose credit... even just having friends with a low score in your social network will lower your score. I've read that by 2020 the credit system will be mandatory for all people in China. The parallels to this episode are remarkable, I suspect it was their inspiration.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I don't know what's worse. The fact that this actually exists or the fact that some people do things that would make this kind of a system seem justified.

And by that, I want to say I do not think this is a good idea. Just that people who go out of their way to be scumbags are playing right into it. People who stalk and harass and abuse people online are doing so much damage to the concept of trust that there are people who would do almost anything to make it stop.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

This brings to mind the episode of the show "Orville". When the space ship visited a planet where social media ratings were the rule of society. If an altercation came up, society would have the opportunity to vote about it. According to them, if a person's "social rating" went too low the could be removed because they were no longer relevant.

Seems very similar, but in China the government decides what you score may be.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Good googly moogly mini-mod, chill. I got a lot out of this thread and the video.

For folk willing to dig deeper, look into China as the CFR pick for the NWO new economy and model of what's to come. This is our future if we don't find a way to block it.

Also of note in the video is how Alibaba--the Chinese Amazon--is a big partner in this.

With Amazon's connection to the IC in addition to their rather sociopathic business model it's pretty easy to see the parralells...and the future.

Watch this vid, y'all, it brings the concept into greater focus and thank you OP.

edit on 20-9-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Just watched the video.......this is crazy and terrifying.
A must watch.
Thanks for posting.

top topics

join