It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black OUT!! (err...electricity)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Sitting home at the house, waiting for the wife to come home. Got the animals fed (had to drive to the pastures). Weather was looking nasty. Lightning and thunder had the dogs running or cover, cows too. Wild night.

Had a big dinner planned, but WHAM, BAM...SLAM! BLACK OUT!! No Moon...nothing, complete darkness. Pitch black.

Okay, I'm LOVIN' this!! Now I get to try some prep supplies. It was clear by the way the power went out (on, off, on...off, on....and then hard off) that the power would be out for a while. Likely several hours (and it was).

So I broke out the headlamps, some candles and the lantern. Then it was time for the stove. I was still going to make dinner! Got the temp gas stove out and the cast iron dutch oven. Planned dinner was stuffed pork chops...no worries. Fired up the stove and preheated the cast iron...we're good.

Wife came home (eventually, tough drive apparently, trees down and flooded roads). Dinner's on!

Everything worked perfectly, just as planned. It's still dark as the inside of a cow here tonight. Candle light is magical...and we ate good!

In a pinch we could eat likely for months with this set up. Fresh water springs on the property for water. Underground storage to keep meat cool. Curing supplies. Freezer's bursting with game and beef. Supplies of many (beans, rice and such).

Wife was kind of mad about no TV (I was happy, hate the TV).

Just a simple test, and everything came into place in minutes. No battery loss, all good.

Didn't even need one gallon of diesel from the (45kW) generator, didn't even have to start it (though I do run it often).

As noted, it's still dark as the inside of a cow now, but I powered up the dish with a UPS which has several hours left. Later, if things don't improve I might fire up the genset to get some water pressure back, but we've got fuel for weeks (months if we conserve, maybe longer).

No electricity, no phone, great food, just enough internet to get this out and total peace and tranquility.

Life is good!

Best to all!!

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
We have a kitchen wood cookstove and wood. We have kerosine lamps and all sorts of candles and even three generators if I want to make sure to keep the freezers cold. When we get a power outage, it seems it is exciting since we are prepared. I don't mind perking coffee in a coffee pot on the woodstove, but do seem to prefer using the Mr. Coffee to make coffee.

Gave up the microwave years ago, going back to our childhoods I guess. I didn't like the taste of microwaved food when they came out and since we got rid of ours we again think of the food as inferior when we taste it. We do not miss that at all. Although green beans and some veggies did taste pretty good cooked in the microwave.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
When we lived way out in the country, I actually loved it when the lights went out. We had a wood burning stove that I heated the house with in winter. If it was summer, I just built a cook fire out front in the big metal disk I had for an outdoor fireplace.

It was dark back in those woods and we were able to enjoy the quite, the sound of the crickets, the stars and the moon
:
edit on 2018 9 19 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Perfect time to seduce your wife.....that's the only thing missing in your description of your wonderful sounding evening! Go get busy, FCD!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Uhhhhmm..

"Freezer's bursting with game and beef".

Okay. Does it run on candles, too?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

No, that's what the generator is for, but I've got a few hours before I have to worry about that.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Candle light is magical...and we ate good!
Sounds like the beginning of a great night.

You know there's a lot of evidence of miniature baby-booms in some large cities after an extended power outage.

In a pinch we could eat likely for months with this set up. Fresh water springs on the property for water. Underground storage to keep meat cool. Curing supplies. Freezer's bursting with game and beef. Supplies of many (beans, rice and such).
That sounds like a prepper's dream!

Wife was kind of mad about no TV (I was happy, hate the TV).
You know you're going to have to give-in if this blackout lasts much longer. As the old saying goes: "If momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy!"

If you don't have a satellite TV dish, be prepared to get up on the roof with a home-made coat-hanger wire TV antenna. LOL.

Didn't even need one gallon of diesel from the (45kW) generator, didn't even have to start it (though I do run it often).
I guess being as far back in BFE as you are that power outages are not rare events. Is your generator portable, or permanently set somewhere?

powered up the dish with a UPS
You have satellite Internet? How well does that work for you? I've heard that the packet delay is pretty annoying.

As always, this is a pretty cool story. Thanks for sharing.

-dex

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Generator - It's trailer mounted. Whisperwatt 45kW. It's a prime rated generator so we use it to power our out buildings, but we've also got an ATS rigged up on the house so I can just pull it down to the house, plug it in and throw the ATS. It will power the entire house and a whole lot more. No load shedding required, it'll run the full 200A service at 220VAC. Burns about 2 gallons per hour under load and it's got a 100 gal. belly tank on it, so it will run 2 full days before it needs to be fueled.

Satellite Internet - Overall it works great, but yes, there is an annoying latency if you're running a remote application. I don't imagine it would work very well for gaming, but I've not tried. Download is blistering fast (full streaming of movies is no problem), but up and down then back up and back down again you can definitely see the latency. I can type one or two words before they'll show up on an RT; I type pretty fast though (ahem, with plenty of mistakes too, so it's bothersome sometimes).

edit on 9/20/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
the power went out (on, off, on...off, on....and then hard off)

what you were seeing was the oil circuit recloser (OCR) they operate three times before they lock out. if a tree or a kritter is in the line, the ocr will operate 3 times to try to clear that fault, prolly a tree in the lines...........

new topics

top topics

join