It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MQ-9 Reaper Scores an Air to Air Kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
In November 2017, an MQ-9 Reaper successfully shot down another drone with a heat seeking missile. This would be the first air to air kill for a Reaper and potentially a new capability. The Predator had the capability to carry Stinger missiles and, infamously and hilariously, before the Iraq war fired one against an Iraqi Mig-25. The Stinger fell short and the Foxbat ate the Predator. It was like a mouse flipping off an hawk before getting eaten.

The Reaper, at least in the test environment, now has the same capability. The Reaper does have a larger payload, but there's no word whether the missile used was a Sidewinder or a Stinger. My bet is on the Stinger. It's not a bad capability to have, to be sure, but no one should mistake this as the coming of the air to air fighter drones. Especially since this is a recapitulation of the old capability the Predators had. Doubly so if the missile fired was a Stinger.

The capability would be great for other UAVs as demoed and also against helicopters. However, make no mistake, a J-10 or a Mig-35 or a Su-37 will eat this duck alive.

www.military.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

depends on the pilots skill with it. drone has a higher turn rate and can fly lower than those aircraft. give them countermeasures and stealth upgrades and you might be surprised.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Sounds great, as long as it doesn't accidentally shoot down a Russian military aircraft.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Wew, drones shooting down drones. Now we legitimately have entered the world of real life wartime MMORPG.

I sure hope there is an age limit for the controls.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Wew, drones shooting down drones. Now we legitimately have entered the world of real life wartime MMORPG.

I can imagine a bunch of rich guys doing that some day. Like robot wars but with drones.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: Vector99

I can imagine a bunch of rich guys doing that some day. Like robot wars but with drones.

They've been doing it wtih Rokkaku fighting kites for centuries. Each kite has a line made from cotton, glue and glass powder. The goal is to cut the line of the opponent's kite.

new topics

top topics

join