It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flames Erupt from Hole in Arkansas - No Explanation Found...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xterrain

Wonder if this suggests something ??

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I looked in the old mining records in AR and Midway AR is a old underground coal mining area.
the last mine was closed in the 1920s.

Before powered fans Old underground coal mines were vented through drill holes with special smudge pots at the bottom wrapped in fine screen to keep the methane from igniting as the hot air was rising.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

It is what it looked like, burned sides, white ash, no explosive or impact rim or debris. However, reading the last post here it seems it was probably a vent hole in a coal mine. I guess the soot and methane buildup could be the culprit.

The main reason I said acid, is from some gold recovery operation I did with my daughter. The tub of acid we were electroplating in got out of control (too much voltage) and when the purple gas started to come out, we dumped it on the ground and ran for cover. There was a huge hole in the ground which once was grass and soil. Nothing like the depth of this though.
edit on 21-9-2018 by charlyv because: content

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Seems you may have nailed it. Most logical conclusion given that it was once a mine.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I just ran across this on my local news channel's website and, remembering this thread I thought I'd post an update. According to the news, the Ark. Nat'l Guard was consulted about this and analyzed the hole, where they found solvents including toluene and xylene.

The Arkansas National Guard analyzed three soil samples and found two solvents: toluene and xylene. Wesley Stites, chemistry and biochemistry department chair at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, said both solvents can be found in household items, including paint thinners. "That seems like the most plausible thing to me, that somebody dumped a quart of paint thinner down there and caught it on fire," Stites said.

The police are not investigating it as a crime, and that seems to be the end of it. The general consensus is that it was just an oddball prank.
edit on 2-12-2018 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Anyone tie in the 7.0 in Alaska disrupting some deep geologic gasses or even drilling or fracking around the area??

7-8 ft tall flame for 45 min is pretty significant.
edit on 2-12-2018 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
I just ran across this on my local news channel's website and, remembering this thread I thought I'd post an update. According to the news, the Ark. Nat'l Guard was consulted about this and analyzed the hole, where they found solvents including toluene and xylene.

The Arkansas National Guard analyzed three soil samples and found two solvents: toluene and xylene. Wesley Stites, chemistry and biochemistry department chair at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, said both solvents can be found in household items, including paint thinners. "That seems like the most plausible thing to me, that somebody dumped a quart of paint thinner down there and caught it on fire," Stites said.

The police are not investigating it as a crime, and that seems to be the end of it. The general consensus is that it was just an oddball prank.

You a fellow Arkansan?

Jesuit- There is some fracking here but not sure how close to the site.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Anyone tie in the 7.0 in Alaska disrupting some deep geologic gasses or even drilling or fracking around the area??

7-8 ft tall flame for 45 min is pretty significant.

This thread is from September. How would the quake in Alaska have anything to do with a weird fire in Arkansas months ago?
edit on 12/2/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
hahahahahaha oops

a reply to: Nyiah

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join