It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flames Erupt from Hole in Arkansas - No Explanation Found...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
My thoughts here are that it's some sort of geological process, as the local fire department and natural gas company have ruled out every other possible man-made cause. - I'd figure they'd move to check background radiation and then possibly bring in some ground penetrating radar to verify what caused the hole and flame.

"When I got there, there were flames 8 or 9 feet high shooting out of a hole about 2 feet in diameter," said Tucker, chief of the Midway, Arkansas, Volunteer Fire Protection District. "It burned that way for 30 to 45 minutes before it went out."

A closer look revealed a scorched rim and a hole about 3-1/2 feet deep that Tucker said made a sharp 45-degree turn at the bottom. "I took a temperature reading of it and it showed 780 degrees inside the hole," Tucker recalled. "But what caused it? I have no idea. There's no gas lines nearby and there was no smell of natural gas."

The fire crew responded to the report of flames shooting out of the ground around 4:15 a.m. Monday. Tucker said he didn't think the odd occurrence was caused by a meteor.

"There's no sign of a strike, no splashed dirt around the edge," he said. "It's on private property, right off the edge of town."

What burns underground and emits a smell of "burning plastic"? - Many different types and compositions of plastic burn with various associated smells, but no one is quoted describing the color of the flame.

What chemical reactions can be caused by natural geological formations when combined with oxygen or water? - I'm thinking along the lines of alkali metals, etc. that could have formed naturally and then ignited when water and oxygen reached them.

What chemicals or gases burn and leave residue as seen in the photos in the article?

Source:
www.news-leader.com...
edit on 19-9-2018 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2018 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xterrain
My thoughts here are that it's some sort of geological process, as the local fire department and natural gas company have ruled out every other possible man-made cause. - I'd figure they'd move to check background radiation and then possibly bring in some ground penetrating radar to verify what caused the hole and flame.

"When I got there, there were flames 8 or 9 feet high shooting out of a hole about 2 feet in diameter," said Tucker, chief of the Midway, Arkansas, Volunteer Fire Protection District. "It burned that way for 30 to 45 minutes before it went out."

A closer look revealed a scorched rim and a hole about 3-1/2 feet deep that Tucker said made a sharp 45-degree turn at the bottom. "I took a temperature reading of it and it showed 780 degrees inside the hole," Tucker recalled. "But what caused it? I have no idea. There's no gas lines nearby and there was no smell of natural gas."

The fire crew responded to the report of flames shooting out of the ground around 4:15 a.m. Monday. Tucker said he didn't think the odd occurrence was caused by a meteor.

"There's no sign of a strike, no splashed dirt around the edge," he said. "It's on private property, right off the edge of town."

What burns underground and emits a smell of "burning plastic"? - Many different types and compositions of plastic burn with various associated smells, but no one is quoted describing the color of the flame.

What chemical reactions can be caused by natural geological formations when combined with oxygen or water? - I'm thinking along the lines of alkali metals, etc. that could have formed naturally and then ignited when water and oxygen reached them.

What chemicals or gases burn and leave residue as seen in the photos in the article?

Source:
www.news-leader.com...

I'd guess it was a old dump site and the trash finally combusted.

(post by howtonhawky removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
A small hole to hell?

(post by norhoc removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Looks like they are testing the space laser ..

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Could be a coal mine fire.

No ignition required coal can spontaneously combust .

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

An underground incinerator vent?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It is an old trash pile full of old papers hidden and buried. They belonged to someone trying to hide them from people.

Clearly there is no melting of sand and such so some type of gas likely methene was venting off and was ignited by lightening.

This is what happens when you bury stuff. It decomposes and emits gasses.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Kids did it

I'm old it's kids

I wanna know how

So I can do It too

And be a kid again

link   

link   
Arkansas?

Home of the Clintons.

Hell has opened up and the bodies are crying out to Heaven..."we want justice"

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Sinkhole, Methane

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Funny how arkansas does not provide any methane detectors to the sheriffs givin the amount of chicken crap that comes from there.

The whole is 3.5' deep.

About 1' wide.

It looks to be sandy soil so there so any methane from buried papers or trash could have built up much pressure and if lightening hit it could have ignited and released all at once and will likely not continue much unless it is from a natural source.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Could be a coal mine fire.
No ignition required coal can spontaneously combust .

You could be right. Ever been to Centralia, PA? Highly weird!

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Natural gas does not smell, naturally.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Arkansas?

Home of the Clintons.

Hell has opened up and the bodies are crying out to Heaven..."we want justice"

Hey hey now Arkansas officially has turned anti Clinton, never did like him heard too many stories from the LEO side of the family. Let’s not judge all of Arkansas off one jackass hot springs is it’s own little thing, I prefer to not to go there much much myself despite it being less than an hours nice scenic drive from mi casa. This is interesting I’ll have to key my lil bro in on this he used to work with water and gas utilities.

ETA I hope they weren’t white metallic flames and anywhere near the Pine Bluff Arsenal, I think they handled most White Phospurus production and processing.
edit on 9/19/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xterrain

The guy that showed up to investigate doesn't sound like he was very qualified.

What color were the flames?

Shooting out? As in campfire style or shooting like a torch?

Those two questions answered would go a long way into resolving the mystery.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join