It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda is Overrated

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm starting to like the propganda, due to how blatant and agenda specific it shows.

It like the world domination plans are on re runs.

It almost like opposite day every day. For example, 911 an how it brought up the awareness of Islam to the west and how we should just blow them up was the trend. Now the news and it virtue singalwr are huge supported of it and that it supports LGBT and a whole bunch of crap that would be considered a death sentance(even alcohol) in regions where it resides where I can legally smack a b****!

btw it agsint sharia and Islam to pay interest. I wonder how that supposed to work?
edit on 20-9-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen
It's against sharia law and Islam to pay interest.
It works perfectly for Muslims, no interest on loans, but if you are a non Muslim pay up brother, that's if you could get a loan from them.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

Propaganda has the tides of the State and sympathetic MSM maintaining a powerful current. It's like water to fishes in the sense we're immersed in it without comprehending the overwhelming scale of its influence. Imo.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I agree, and what makes propaganda different from outright lies, is there is generally a little truth mixed in with it, and people who don't further examine it, quickly submit to 'where there is smoke, there's fire", and settle for half truths, and half lies.

We saw it time and time again during the last election.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

It's like there's a cacophony of propaganda going full spectrum 24/7. Russia's a bastion of tolerant society and a victim of the evil West. Nazis are free speech advocates, kindness is virtue signalling, respect is deceit. Allegations are facts, evidence is unnecessary, science is propaganda. Take your Vitamin C, cancer is a hoax, the environment is fine!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

You forgot to mention up is now down, where have I heard this before?

Watch this it's worth it

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Yea, but the thickle muslims supporting an atheist system like communism an the communists, plus with white people being thickle as well.

Who knows where that ball's going to drop.
Then again communism might actually like religion

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Serious question: did you ever even try to win an argument with a staunch holocaust denier? Spoiler-alert: you can't! All you can do is mock the crap out of it, your whole thread relies on a silly superstition with no bearing on the hard facts of life.

I have never debated holocaust denier, no. But if I knew a person who was travelling down that road, I would like to have the arguments ready to persuade him otherwise. Not everyone takes kindly to bullying and mocking, and I fear such an approach would only entrench them further in their beliefs. You can't mock someone out of their beliefs.

That's kinda revealing. You folks always argue from a rather egocentrical consumer standpoint and disregard any and all empathy for the victims dignity. The lack of critical thinking you mention is marginal compared to the lack of empathy in this society, or in Chomsky for that matter.

I just don't think it's true, nor helpful, that people should blame others for the way they think.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Firstly, your avatar is awesome. The lines... colors.. a pleasure to look at.

If we examine how Russian propaganda effected our last election, it becomes clear that it is a problem.
It was a big problem in the 2016 elections, with people buying into it with a seemingly insatiable appetite, which still exists, and which is seen everyday on the internet.

There are people, apparently millions who are unable to discern what is real, from what isn't, and that realization is being taken advantage of, and will only become more advanced now that it is has been established how susceptible to it the American public is.

I am skeptical of the premise that Russian propaganda effected the election, simply because the effect is non-demonstrable. We do not know which people, if any, were persuaded to vote one way or another by a facebook ad or twitter troll. On the other hand, a much bigger propaganda campaign during the election was the 24-hour news cycle on domestic television, and even though people went to great lengths to persuade, even endorsing one candidate over another and using every rhetorical flourish in the book, the effect was the exact opposite of what was intended. So how does a massive propaganda campaign fail where a minor one prevailed? It just makes little sense.

Edit. I'm glad you liked my little icon. I create type and logos for a living. You can see some more of my work here.

edit on 20-9-2018 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Propaganda has the tides of the State and sympathetic MSM maintaining a powerful current. It's like water to fishes in the sense we're immersed in it without comprehending the overwhelming scale of its influence. Imo.

One can get lost in it, that's for sure. But minor knowledge in critical thinking can give one the upperhand over it.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

You make some good points and I think I understand where you’re coming from, I’m fairly certain advertising has no effect on me for example.

The trouble with propaganda is when it used to manipulate people’s beliefs, persuading them to think or do something they otherwise wouldn’t have.

The good news is there has been so much of it dished out from all sides that people are not as susceptible to it any more. It might not seem so right now but it’s definitely going that way. Any clamping down on this that or the other will just make people sit up and take notice of that which is being suppressed.

Yes, I think with sheer volume of means of expressing oneself, people are becoming more and more aware of their own powers over the information they give and receive. That to me is a step in the right direction. I think the amount of voices out there nowadays may seem noisy and confusing at first, but given time, it will correct itself.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23785505]Aphorism[/post

I am skeptical of the premise that Russian propaganda effected the election, simply because the effect is non-demonstrable.

What? It's in yo face demonstrable. lol. Did you not read the threads here during the election?
Facebook alone has deleted hundreds of bogus accounts, mostly Russians.

People gulped that tripe down like......Kool Aid. Then added to it and dispersed it widely. Of course it had an effect on the outcome. When you've been led to believe the opposing candidate is a serial killer, runs a child sex ring out of pizza parlor, and has multiple deadly, disabling diseases, of course you are going to go the other way.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If you want to see the main propaganda instruments in the us, watch MSNBC and FOX NEWS. The secondary are Brietbart, Huffpost, Talk Radio and smattering of liberal blogs like Huff Post.

The Third step is to distract and dumb us down and that is NBC/CBS/ABC and almost every single cable channel. The "news" on those shows isn't so much as propaganda but distraction with stories about the Kardashians and Justin Beiber ever single day.

You don't want to get brainwashed, then turn off the news.

It's simple scientific knowledge. If you keep hearing the same thing over and over again especially by "experts" you'll start to believe them even if they aren't true.

Even here, where we generally dig deeper and have more meaningful discussions and are exposed to differing views, you can still tell who the brainwashed amongst us are...They'll say things like liberals are ruining the country--they heard that on fox and talk radio. They don't care if Hillary rigged the primary, because Rachel maddow doesn't care about it and she wouldn't lie or be dishonest...right?
edit on 20-9-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I have never debated holocaust denier, no. But if I knew a person who was travelling down that road, I would like to have the arguments ready to persuade him otherwise. Not everyone takes kindly to bullying and mocking, and I fear such an approach would only entrench them further in their beliefs. You can't mock someone out of their beliefs.

What's it you wanna talk about now, people you could argue with or the business model?

Try a different approach then? Ask critical questions regarding Bush and their oily profits from dealing with the Nazis, or how certain parts of the British Royaly conspired with them? Some pepole are just potential conspiracy theorists in dire need of a better media diet, but they don't write books to earn a few bucks with lies.
There's a bigger conspiracy veiled in a riddle to explore. I bet you could find a few ATS threads on this, if I could just find this famous site one day...

I just don't think it's true, nor helpful, that people should blame others for the way they think.

Yeah. But who cares what and how you think? Well... you should!
How to be brilliant every day

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Yeah. But fckbook can delete itself now, they banned Abby Martin as well. The Atlantic Council helps a lot with shoving official narratives down our throats. At some point every hard critic was a russian troll, which is part of the problem with all this propaganda.

Check your resident Q for the latest news!

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: [post=23785505]Aphorism[/post

I am skeptical of the premise that Russian propaganda effected the election, simply because the effect is non-demonstrable.

What? It's in yo face demonstrable. lol. Did you not read the threads here during the election?
Facebook alone has deleted hundreds of bogus accounts, mostly Russians.

People gulped that tripe down like......Kool Aid. Then added to it and dispersed it widely. Of course it had an effect on the outcome. When you've been led to believe the opposing candidate is a serial killer, runs a child sex ring out of pizza parlor, and has multiple deadly, disabling diseases, of course you are going to go the other way.

Are you yourself swayed by propaganda?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Yeah. But who cares what and how you think?

Who wants to know?

What's it you wanna talk about now, people you could argue with or the business model? Try a different approach then? Ask critical questions regarding Bush and their oily profits from dealing with the Nazis, or how certain parts of the British Royaly conspired with them? Some pepole are just potential conspiracy theorists in dire need of a better media diet, but they don't write books to earn a few bucks with lies. There's a bigger conspiracy veiled in a riddle to explore. I bet you could find a few ATS threads on this, if I could just find this famous site one day...

I was only clarifying my position as best I could.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join