It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nova Scotia crabs with ‘insane level of aggressiveness’ threatening coastal Maine ecosystem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
globalnews.ca...

Canadians are known as friendly folks, but these crabby brutes migrating from Canadian waters to coastal Maine are better suited for the hockey rink.

Green crabs from Nova Scotia are the same species as their cousins that already inhabit Maine waters, but are ornerier and angrier, threatening to accelerate harm to the coastal ecosystem by gobbling up soft-shell clams and destroying native eel grass, a researcher said.

The docile green crabs shrink from a threat, while the newcomers are more apt to wave their pincers and charge.

SEND THEM BACK!!!

At a distance of 1.5 metres, the pint-sized brutes, which measure 10 to 12 centimetres across, assumed a fighting posture. Those that grabbed him were in no hurry to let go.

“Any time I went down to grab one they went to grab me instead,” he wrote in an email.

One of them, in particular, would jump out of the water in its frenzy to attack.

In the lab, researchers unleashed both types of crabs on a bed of eelgrass in a saltwater pool, and the difference was stark. The Canadian invaders shredded the eel grass like Edward Scissorhands in their efforts to scarf down marine organisms seeking refuge, Frederich said.

somebody tell Trump about this!!!

talk about invasive species

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
How can they tell the difference from the exact same species that lives in the US? Do they have little crabby Canadian passports?

a reply to: ElGoobero

edit on 19-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
How can they tell the difference from the exact same species that lives in the US? Do they have little crabby Canadian passports?

its in the article

They’re each genetically distinct. The new crab variant that originated in northern Europe is hardier and adapted to colder water than the more docile crab, which originally came from southern Europe.

MIGRANTS from EUROPE!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well there you have it even all the green crabs came from europe origonally. Just like most Canadians and Americans.
Huh cool. I wonder what the indigenous crabs think about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well there you have it even all the green crabs came from europe origonally. Just like most Canadians and Americans.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Have a chef make a delicious dish out of them and they will be fished to death.
not even joking.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
maybe they feel left out

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Charlotte Gill, who owns Charlotte’s Legendary Lobster Pound in Southwest Harbor, has been looking for ways to kill her crustaceans in a more humane way than tossing them into boiling water.
So she’s smoking out the lobsters by placing them into boxes that contain water that has been infused with marijuana smoke, according to the Mount Desert Islander newspaper.
Gill believes the pot-laced water will sedate the lobsters so their deaths aren’t traumatic.

those crabs just want to blaze too

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Have a chef make a delicious dish out of them and they will be fished to death.
not even joking.

no chef needed its crab just add butter

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
maybe they feel left out

Charlotte Gill, who owns Charlotte’s Legendary Lobster Pound in Southwest Harbor, has been looking for ways to kill her crustaceans in a more humane way than tossing them into boiling water.
So she’s smoking out the lobsters by placing them into boxes that contain water that has been infused with marijuana smoke, according to the Mount Desert Islander newspaper.
Gill believes the pot-laced water will sedate the lobsters so their deaths aren’t traumatic.

Isn't that a crime, forcing those poor lobster to have to breath pot smoke? I mean she's forcing drugs on these things. Plus I don't think I would want to eat some drugged up lobster LOLOL. Just kidding drop them puppies in a pot and give me some butter. Drop those illegal immigrant crabs in a pot and I'll take care of the problem for them.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

MIGRANTS from EUROPE!!!

Yeah - like other undocumented workers they are screaming to get into the US

"Build that wall"

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Well, if South Park is any indication, the Canadian crabs will have flip-top heads.

-dex

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
maybe they feel left out

I for one do not want my crab dinner tasting like bong water!
edit on 20-9-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: yup!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hmmmm but what about bong water that tastes like crab?
Might be onto something here....

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

They don't get a say. They live in tiny protected areas. For their own benefit, you understand?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Just give them some ecstasy! If it works on octopuses it should work on crabs!! Give 'em a pacifier and a trance room, they be lovin' in no time!

gizmodo.com - Scientists Gave MDMA to Octopuses—and What Happened Was Profound.

join