It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit is a Mess, how do we Fix it.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Do you equally support a clear supermajority clause for the next Scottish independence referendum?
Your only answer can really be yes then?

As a yes voter I would absolutely agree there should be some form of special rule required for major constitutional change.

Not sure if a supermajority is best option but think should require more than a simple majority in a one off vote.

Even more importantly the rules should be set and apply the same for all major votes. Unfortunately that would require us having a real constitution first.

I agree.

Also as a pro-independence Scot. The next indie referendum should require something like a 60% yes vote, and a certain turnout threshold should be reached too.

Referendum shouldn't be decided by one or two percent, particularly not on major issues.

Also, as a sidenote, come January enough Leave voters will have died off, being as leave voters were predominantly older voters, that the majority for vote leave will have become a minority through simple attrition.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Referendum shouldn't be decided by one or two percent, particularly not on major issues.

Do you think that that should go for General Elections, too?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I think the only fair way of having a second ref, is to act on the first one, leave, work out all the kinks, then after a year or two ask the people if they want to give up the freedom and join the EU.

Make it 5 years and as a staunch Brexiteer even I would go along with that.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Wow the fact that remainers are using the death of people who voted to leave as a pro to get a second vote is insane.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I'm happy with the simple majority to be honest...but I voted leave so that's probably no surprise.
I agree with the OP about the mess of negotiations though, I'd just go for hard bargaining even if it means WTO rules.
It is something we will never find agreement in though so I'm not up for speculative arguments about the unknown future.
I'm confident that the UK will survive it while remainers are not. We'll never square that circle.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Comsidering that one MP or one, unelected lord can make the difference between something passing into law or not, what is the problem with 1%of the actual population making the difference? They are the ones who have to live under the laws, pay their taxes etc.
A universal plebiscite is the ultimate expression of democracy. Hell, we don't actually need MP's or Lords etc. They all vote in the way that makes them richer anyway, whether its in favour of big business, big government big wars. The number of honest, conscience voting members of parliament is about 10 out of 650 of the buggers.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

What a nice chap Ian McEwan is.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Do you think that that should go for General Elections, too?

General elections are repeated on a regular basis.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

Wow the fact that remainers are using the death of people who voted to leave as a pro to get a second vote is insane.

No he is just pointing out that the actual voters change as time goes on. Unless you think we should be able to bind the decisions of future generations.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

True, and so would Referendums if some round here had their way

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

True, and so would Referendums if some round here had their way

Why is that a bad thing?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The bad thing? Keeping on having them until you get the result you want. We either stay in or leave the EU - its a one time thing. Well, unless in many years time we vote to go back in. It's not the hokey-cokey, you know.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

edit on 20-9-2018 by oldcarpy because: Double Post

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Hey - if there is another Scottish independence Referendum, can us English have a vote, please?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

No it's a major constitutional change that shouldn't be decided by a a small majority in a one off vote.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Hey - if there is another Scottish independence Referendum, can us English have a vote, please?

Did the rest of Europe get a vote in EU referendum?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

No, it's called "moving the goalposts". I seem to remember way back when Scottish football fans at an England game showed quite a flair for that.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

No, but we are all part of the UK. The rest of Europe is not. Surely, us English should get to vote about a major constitutional change like independence that affects us?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

If they had voted for independence we would of been bailing them out about now anyway.

Scottish Independence?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Speak for yourself!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join