It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit is a Mess, how do we Fix it.

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Lol exactly.
We have less per capita government spending on us than Scottish people do.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

The good old days were just a couple of years ago when we had the best deal in the EU.

Must be lovely on that dream cloud you live on.

Now a segment of the population who have been feeling the effects of austerity for too long has taken revenge by voting us out of the European project.

Lol ... not a segment but a democratic majority.

Totally unbelievable, those days were good old recent days, everybody I the UK had never had it so good as their time within the EU.

Speak for yourself ..... obviously the majority didn't believe so

As a committed European who believes in people coming together rather dividing into monkey like groups of separation I will never submit to the nationalism taking hold of that segment of the population. We had it so good, now it's over for us who believed in a Europe of one.

I've got a solution for you

If your so sure put your belief in Europe to the test, up sticks and take your

whinging.over there ..... and watch our progress over here

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Based on a recent visit to Cornwall what you really need is some infrastructure spending on roads.

Err, exactly.
Not many signs saying 'Funded by the EU' in Cornwall, or many other places in the UK for that matter.
But go to Poland, or Spain, or Portugal, or Ireland etc and they are every bloody where.

I wonder why that is?

ETA.
I don't know why I've started posting again in this thread....wash, rinse, repeat.

I should know better!

edit on 2/10/18 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The exact amount of money is immaterial, however much it is It is for the UK

to decide how and where they spend it.

Then we the UK are told "But the EU gives you a rebate" but forget to mention

that we are told where we are allowed to spend it!

NO THANKS we are perfectally proficient at managing our own economy....

edit on 2-10-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Based on a recent visit to Cornwall what you really need is some infrastructure spending on roads.

Err, exactly.
Not many signs saying 'Funded by the EU' in Cornwall, or many other places in the UK for that matter.
But go to Poland, or Spain, or Portugal, or Ireland etc and they are every bloody where.

I wonder why that is?

ETA.
I don't know why I've started posting again in this thread....wash, rinse, repeat.

I should know better!

You might want to look harder. Cornwall is a major beneficiary of ERDF funding. Has the UK government agreed to match regional funding after brevity?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I guess we'll find out soon.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Just looked that up, yes you are right.
That's far more than I thought, but how much of that is spent on actual physical improvements like road systems etc?

For once I'm not being cynical, I've just looked up ERDF and other EU funding in my local area.
It seems there is some money earmarked but I don't know exactly how much actual investing and funding will take place, after all it is the EU and wastage and expenses etc are notoriously high, something even the most ardent EU supporters rarely contest.
There seems to be a lot of jargon and a lot of committees, local study groups, joint task forces etc...how much actually gets spent on the actual doing and implementation?

ETA
And surely you must admit, when compared to the amount of 'Funded by the EU' signs you see when travelling in other EU countries there are very, very few seen here in the UK - there is a huge disparity.

edit on 2/10/18 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

It's funny for such a ' destabilizing' influence how many country's were and are desperate to join.

ARE YOU SERIOUS

According to Wikipedia six other countries are dissatisfied with the EU

and are waiting to jump ship.

Several states have political parties and individuals advocating and seeking withdrawal from the EU. In member states, there are political movements of varying significance campaigning for withdrawal.

Parties in the EU advocating or considering withdrawal
Main article: Euroscepticism § Euroscepticism in the EU member states
While no country other than the United Kingdom has voted on whether to withdraw from the EU, political parties criticizing the federative trend of the European Union and advocating its reshaping into a looser cooperation framework have gained prominence in several member states since the last European Parliament election in 2014, similarly to the rise of UKIP in the United Kingdom.

The main parties are:

Party for Freedom and Forum for Democracy (Netherlands) – see Dutch withdrawal from the European Union
Popular Republican Union (France) – see Frexit
Lega Nord (Italy)
Liberty (Poland)
Jobbik (Hungary)
Left Party and Sweden Democrats (Sweden)
The European Parliament currently includes two official groups of Eurosceptic members opposing the EU institutions: Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy and Europe of Nations and Freedom.

en.wikipedia.org...

The only countries clamouring to join are the ones with very poor economies

in short those .........who cant pay their way.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Just looked that up, yes you are right.
That's far more than I thought, but how much of that is spent on actual physical improvements like road systems etc?

For once I'm not being cynical, I've just looked up ERDF and other EU funding in my local area.
It seems there is some money earmarked but I don't know exactly how much actual investing and funding will take place, after all it is the EU and wastage and expenses etc are notoriously high, something even the most ardent EU supporters rarely contest.
There seems to be a lot of jargon and a lot of committees, local study groups, joint task forces etc...how much actually gets spent on the actual doing and implementation?

ETA
And surely you must admit, when compared to the amount of 'Funded by the EU' signs you see when travelling in other EU countries there are very, very few seen here in the UK - there is a huge disparity.

I'll contest that. EU admin costs are about 6% of total budget and total EU civil service is dwarfed by individual Uk departments. The UK is hardly placed to take the moral high ground onexpenses either...

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Well, all I can say is that I had a quick look at ERDF and other EU sourced funding for my local areas and there does seem to be lots of these joint task force, local funding committee etc type of bureaucratic red tap that applicants have to go through to get any sort of funding granted.
That all costs money.

And the fact of the matter is I've yet to see any 'Funded by the EU# sign anywhere round here, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter yet I've seen literally hundreds in my travels abroad in other EU countries.

I'll keep looking though, maybe they've all just been approved recently and the projects are all about to start.

I've never attempted to excuse or justify UK government expenses, wastage, corruption and other money's spent.
You know my feelings on Westminster well enough....but that hardly excuses or invalidates Brussels gross wastage does it?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well, all I can say is that I had a quick look at ERDF and other EU sourced funding for my local areas and there does seem to be lots of these joint task force, local funding committee etc type of bureaucratic red tap that applicants have to go through to get any sort of funding granted.
That all costs money.

And the fact of the matter is I've yet to see any 'Funded by the EU# sign anywhere round here, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter yet I've seen literally hundreds in my travels abroad in other EU countries.

I'll keep looking though, maybe they've all just been approved recently and the projects are all about to start.

I've never attempted to excuse or justify UK government expenses, wastage, corruption and other money's spent.
You know my feelings on Westminster well enough....but that hardly excuses or invalidates Brussels gross wastage does it?

And if it didn't gothrough committees and approval processes people would complain about money being spent with no oversight.

All large-scale spending government or private enterprise requires oversight and admin. I haven't seen any evidence that the EU is any worse than any other organisation.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

And if it didn't gothrough committees and approval processes people would complain about money being spent with no oversight.

Without a doubt...I'm just putting it out there that maybe that's where all the money actually goes because I haven't seen any real evidence of any projects at all being funded by the EU here in N.E. England or anywhere else in the UK.
I'm not saying there isn't any, just that I haven't seen any and I'd really welcome it if anyone else could show me otherwise.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
just looking at this

EU cash in glasgow

Projects include the world famous gravitational waves discovery, considered a huge leap in scientific research co-led by a team from Glasgow, part funded by the EU’s Marie Sk?odowska-Curie fund for research.

He said: “The evidence is unequivocal. Scotland’s universities receive £88.8m a year from EU sources, about 13% of our total funding. My university alone has received more than £20m in the first two years of the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme.”

it's a real shame when we leave , because the UK government wont earmark that kind of cash for Universities in the UK . My mum is the finance manager for Edinburgh Uni , and she has no idea what will happen with Brexit , but there is a lot of uncertainty for research grants and various other EU / UK research groups , as well as EU students

Scotland along with the rest of Britain will lose a lot of funding to research and education which will unlikely be replaced by UK gov

here is a break down of Scottish government EU funding directives

European Structural Funds

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Surely with the money we won't be wasting by giving it to Brussels we should make sure the government spends some of that cash replacing funding like this.

That's what I mean about moving forward, its up to us, the electorate, to make our feelings known.

There is no reason whatsoever why Westminster can not fund this.

Instead of whining and moaning and spreading doom and gloom we should be looking at ways to make this work and even improve things.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's all change................. Quite looking forward to Brexit now. As long as it is free trade with no barriers hey Brexit is a great idea

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

thats just it , though the government hasnt got a clue , they simply dont , we can make all the suggestions we like but we wont be a part of the process about developing a new United Kingdom!

It will be done by the select few, for the benefit of a select few !

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheiaI've got a solution for you

If your so sure put your belief in Europe to the test, up sticks and take your

whinging.over there ..... and watch our progress over here

No way............... May family has been in the Midlands for at least a thousand years as far as we can tell and I ain't changing that for a minute. Sure if the rioting and general disturbances and anarchy get to bad we'll go and take cover for a bit in a faraway land (not EU) but nonononononoo not going to upsticks. Gonna stay and make the best of it, had a change of heart now and decided to go full on Brexit,...............................as long as its free trade with Europe then what's the big issue here? Up for Brexit now as the majority have spoken through the ballot box and that decision needs accepting

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

We don't have to be polite about 'asking' them....be forceful - Anger can be Power!

Now is the time to demand the change we want to see.
All the political parties are vulnerable and weak.
No-one really knows what to expect, strike while the iron is hot.
Organise, be prepared and force them to listen to you.....

But I know no-one will because we are all too scared and daren't come out of our respective comfort zones.

There has never been a better time than now to demand change and begin the reform process.

posted on Oct, 3 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

to me , if we are leaving the EU , then we should write a bill of rights for the nations of the UK it would be a good time for the UK government to appease the people and give our rights protection!

that would maybe give us all a bit of comfort in post brexit UK

You are rigjht though , whilst the government are arguing over Brexit , now would be a good time to demand from them , however they would simply come back with al of our energy is in Brexit , we cant afford to take our resources away from Brexit , like all hands on deck for brexit , no one will have freedom to make any other political moves!

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join