It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit is a Mess, how do we Fix it.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiNjABackflip

originally posted by: ScepticScot

a reply to: ScepticScot

No we voted on leaving the EU 2 years ago.

That's right. Did that vote not go the way you wanted?

Irreverent. Why are you so scared of democracy that you oppose having another vote.

I didn't think you were even from the UK (Canada?) So it can't be personal interest. Do you just oppose democracy in principle?

No, I'm just wondering why you want to nullify the results of a referendum. I'm guessing because it didn't turn out the way you wanted.

I want people to have the right to vote on accepting the final agreement. I want to make sure there is genuine public consent for the biggest change to the UK since the 1940s.

The only reason to oppose a second referendum seems to be fear of a different result.

The only reason you'd want a second referendum is because you didn't like the results of the first one.

I don't like what appears to be about happen. Leaving in a dramatically ill prepared way.

Let's have a vote to see if I am in a minority or not. What are you scared of?

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Irreverent. Why are you so scared of democracy that you oppose having another vote.

I didn't think you were even from the UK (Canada?) So it can't be personal interest. Do you just oppose democracy in principle?

No, I'm just wondering why you want to nullify the results of a referendum. I'm guessing because it didn't turn out the way you wanted.

I want people to have the right to vote on accepting the final agreement. I want to make sure there is genuine public consent for the biggest change to the UK since the 1940s.

The only reason to oppose a second referendum seems to be fear of a different result.

The only reason you'd want a second referendum is because you didn't like the results of the first one.

I don't like what appears to be about happen. Leaving in a dramatically ill prepared way.

Maybe next time you guys will campaign a little better. Oh well. A loss is an opportunity for learning.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I'm against a 2nd vote! (undemocratic)
So if one was to be made.. it should be based on this premise!

The option to remain is not on the ballot. ( that has already been decided)

No Deal should be an option on the ballot.

And what ever the deal is ,,, should be the other question.

What are your thoughts on this as you are advocating an undemocratic 2nd vote ?
edit on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 19:27:39 -0500277America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
How about a compromise?

Leave the EU in March as planned. Then, have another vote a year from that on re-joining the EU. This would give both sides plenty of time to explain their positions.

If the vote is to re-join, then schedule it two years from the vote so Britain and the EU can work out an acceptable deal. Allow another vote by the people on whether or not to accept the deal.

And, just as a piece of general life advice: If you're in a relationship where your partner feels you should be punished for ending that relationship, it's probably not a healthy relationship for you.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4

I'm against a 2nd vote! (undemocratic)
So if one was to be made.. it should be based on this premise!

The option to remain is not on the ballot. ( that has already been decided)

No Deal should be an option on the ballot.

And what ever the deal is ,,, should be the other question.

What are your thoughts on this as you are advocating an undemocratic 2nd vote ?

Another person who thinks referendums are undemocratic.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
How about a compromise?
Leave the EU in March as planned. Then, have another vote a year from that on re-joining the EU. This would give both sides plenty of time to explain their positions.

Haha that would be hilarious.
What are the Remainers going to say? We should join the EU so the EU can make our laws for us, we wont be able to make trade deals with other countries, we have to give up our coastal fishing waters, accept unlimited EU immigration and for the pleasure of it all pay over £10 billion per year.

I know what the British public would say about that deal!

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Brexit was always going to be a mess because the European Dream that nobody ever voted for has its roots firmly established.

Hard Brexit then watch the cards fall in Europe and the number of soon to be ex-European countries wanting to sign a fair deal with UK.

UK, Germany, France et al were all doing fine until the EU fire took hold, its a noble idea that got out of control. We are sovereign nations who could compromise on good deals if the EU were not pushing an agenda and negotiating with an agenda who will try and make countries "pay" for not supporting it through attempted blackmail shows the kind of agenda Brussels is pushing.

The more I see of this the more my will is resolved that Brexit is the right thing. Perhaps N.Ireland should have a referendum on remaining part of Ireland and the EU or staying a sovereign country, stick a hard border between them and get on with it. I seem to remember that Republic of Ireland got very expensive and not too much out of the EU, they can flog that dead horse for a bit then join a trading bloc with a country that matters.

Lets invite Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi and Ford sole manufacturing rights and sales in the UK, if you want a crappy EU car you buy it overseas and pay the import tax. The UK market is big enough to sustain enough jobs here without exporting, unless the EU car manufacturers can afford to lose about 20% of their sales at the expense of an arrogant EU enforcing things they didnt ask for.

In fact, never mind the UK Brexit vote and a hard Brexit, once the dust settles and it is done, the EU will be clambering over us for deals, they are just trying to lock them in now with the Brexit fears, once thats off the table, we have too much of a market for them to shun us.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

And, just as a piece of general life advice: If you're in a relationship where your partner feels you should be punished for ending that relationship, it's probably not a healthy relationship for you.

A better analogy is a relationship spits up but one person thinks they should still be able to come in the house anytime, eat the food, use the toilet, kick the dog and still be friends with benefits. Yet doesn't want to pay any of the bills, and is surprised when the ex doesn't agree.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Car manufacturers want access to the largest market at the lowest entry cost. Nissan exports the majority of cars it makes in sunderland to the EU.

Given the choice of building cars in the EU and paying tariffs on a small % exported to the UK or building in the UK and paying on the majority what do you think they are going to choose?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty

How about a compromise?

Haha that would be hilarious.
What are the Remainers going to say? We should join the EU so the EU can make our laws for us, we wont be able to make trade deals with other countries, we have to give up our coastal fishing waters, accept unlimited EU immigration and for the pleasure of it all pay over £10 billion per year.

I know what the British public would say about that deal!

What laws exactly do the EU make for us that don't benefit us? In fact, what laws do the EU make for us?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
What are you waiting for? You want your independence so much then let the rest of us go...or maybe you couldn't survive without our resources to plunder. Yeah, Maybe that's it.

edit on 22-9-2018 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2018 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Lol, you voted to stay in the UK

Unlucky fella, now you get to do what the UK decides.
My prediction, there will be no second referendum, and either the EU will agree a last minute deals or we'll go WTO route...and Scottish folk will still be whinging either way.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
What are you waiting for? You want your independence so much then let the rest of us go...or maybe you couldn't survive without our resources to plunder. Yeah, Maybe that's it.

What a short memory you have !! It is less than 5 years with a larger majority

than the Brexit referendum had for leaving the EU that the Scots voted to

STAY in the UK.

Where have you been

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Scots love having multiple referendums it seems.
They'll be whinging for another one to leave the UK again soon.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

What a short memory you have !! It is less than 5 years with a larger majority

than the Brexit referendum had for leaving the EU that the Scots voted to

STAY in the UK.

Where have you been

67% of Scots voted to stay in the EU. 55% of Scots voted to stay in the UK with the threats of, if we leave 1, we would be out of Europe, 2,Jobs would be lost,3. companies would leave, 4,pensions would be in doubt, 5,the Oil is running out, 6,the sky would fall down. etc etc. Guess how that worked out.

Trust me, Project Fear was in full flow up here long before you ever experienced it. We, us scots coined the phrase.

Where have you been?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Still whinging that Scotland voted to stay in the UK so has to follow UK wide decisions lol

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: eletheia

Scots love having multiple referendums it seems.
They'll be whinging for another one to leave the UK again soon.

We have already given the SNP the mandate to hold one. Where you been.

Like everything in life, It's about timing. Once everything starts to fall apart we will use it to our benefit. In 2014 we cracked a very tight lid. The lies and broken promises have been seen through. The 45 could see it at the time, The 55 are only now getting it. Soar Alba.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Still whinging that Scotland voted to stay in the UK so has to follow UK wide decisions lol

Maybe you should change your username to Cornish Sassenach guy. Celt my arse.

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Lmao, no second referendum for you sonny, you just gotta bend over and take the wishes of the wider UK now.
I drink the tears of wailing Scots

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Lmao, no second referendum for you sonny, you just gotta bend over and take the wishes of the wider UK now.
I drink the tears of wailing Scots

Central and West of Scotland all the way up to the highlands has deep rooted Celtic ancestry. Drink on Sassenach.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join