It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit is a Mess, how do we Fix it.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Do you equally support a clear supermajority clause for the next Scottish independence referendum?
Your only answer can really be yes then?

Yup 100% I believe that if there is to be a second referendum in Scotland then it should be by a clear majority,

I pretty much think this way on any referendum thats going to cause real permanent change to a nation.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: Painterz

Hey - if there is another Scottish independence Referendum, can us English have a vote, please?

Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

But, the Brexit referendum was won by "a clear majority", was it not?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Then it should!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

But, the Brexit referendum was won by "a clear majority", was it not?

I don't really call 1.9% a clear majority I think at a minimum it should be 55%, there were just over a million votes in it, for such a huge change to our country I think personally that there has to be a clear majority.

Now what this number should be exactly I think would be up for debate, but it should be more than 1.9%, its a tiny margin to win by.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Then it should!

Well it doesn't, just like the rest of the EU didn't get a right to vote in the Brexit vote.

It all comes down to a nations right to self-determination

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

OK - I think then that we need a Referendum to decide what a clear majority should mean......

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I get your point of course, but still....

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

OK - I think then that we need a Referendum to decide what a clear majority should mean......

You disagree with me thats fine.

Its a matter of political opinion and if we agreed it would all be somewhat boring.

I just think that the simple question of EU; Remain or Leave, who gets the most votes was way too simple for such a profound change to our country to ask with out adding in some parameters in terms of voter turn out and a supermajority. I also think the question itself was a bit daft because there are a lot of options between remain or leave that are being discussed.

The Chequers deal for instance that is being proposed is bad for everyone I would think if you voted remain or leave, I hope we can agree on that much that the negotiations have been a total joke.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

We can indeed agree on that much. The Chequers deal is farcical.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

We can indeed agree on that much. The Chequers deal is farcical.

Out of curiosity and I know its never going to happen.

Hypothetically.

If you had a vote over it what would you do, either reverse Brexit or go with Chequers (I know not much of a choice for you but I am just curious)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Added to the fact the referendums carry no weight in UK law, therefore there is no point in having them. In some other EU nations, referendums are enshrined in law - meaning you can't really compare.

In reality meaning....... Keep on voting till we (the EU) get the result we require.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just seen on the news that the EU has torpedoed the checuers deal. They said that the reasons the Maybot was sweating, was because of a dodgy air conditioner. Meanwhile Boris the Buffoon is preparing to stab her in the back. Brexit means Brexit and out means out. The sooner the better.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That's a tough one. I would like to go for a hard Brexit but you do not give me that option. I think I would go with Chequers in the fairly certain hope that things would then work out sensibly after. Perhaps.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: Flavian

Added to the fact the referendums carry no weight in UK law, therefore there is no point in having them. In some other EU nations, referendums are enshrined in law - meaning you can't really compare.

In reality meaning....... Keep on voting till we (the EU) get the result we require.

No mate, that's not what i was saying at all. Im saying there is no point to referendums in the UK as they have no legal basis. So either give them a legal basis (enshrine them in law) or do away with them completely.

I was also making the point that referendums do carry weight in some EU nations because they are enshrined in their laws - so you can't compare a UK referendum to a European referendum (unless it is one of the few that doesn't enshrine them in the law, like us).

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

That's a tough one. I would like to go for a hard Brexit but you do not give me that option. I think I would go with Chequers in the fairly certain hope that things would then work out sensibly after. Perhaps.

Intersting.

You see think if I was given the choice of hard Brexit or Chequers I would have to go with hard Brexit just because I think that Chequers is going to lead to problems down the road and its basically going to turn us into the EU's bitch given that they set the rules

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I don't see any good outcomes from a hard Brexit. It would seriously constrain our financial services sector which makes up a quarter of our economy. It shouldn't, but because of serious economic mismanagement by every government since the war that is the reality. So a hard Brexit would seriously do us damage. If a quarter of our economy collapses, that has major societal implications (if you think austerity was / is bad then this would be a whole other level of hurt).

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yes, but I did not have the choice of a hard Brexit in you hypothetical question, you gave me two choices only. Maybe I misunderstood. Its been a hard day at work and my brain hurts.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: Painterz

Wow the fact that remainers are using the death of people who voted to leave as a pro to get a second vote is insane.

Or DESPERATION

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join