It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth Smarts kidnapper released from prison today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
She only had to do 8 years ..

If she had been caught with Elizabeth and some weed she would be doing life.

How can they release this woman? She kidnapped a 14 year old girl and held her captive for 9 months and she is getting out of prison.

She should be put to death for her crimes but they are releasing her.

I just do not understand our justice system. I cant think of anything worse than not knowing what happened to my 14 year old daughter.

Wondering if she is alive wondering if she is being raped or tortured or sold into sex slavery.

Im so pissed they let this evil person out of prison.

A woman convicted for her role in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart, who was held captive for nine months when she was 14 years old, was released from prison on Wednesday.

The Utah Department of Corrections said just after 8 a.m. local time that Wanda Barzee, 72, had been freed from Utah State Prison. A gaggle of reporters and news cameras arrived early Wednesday to stake out prison exits in anticipation of her leaving, but Barzee was not immediately spotted.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

That is some top level BS!!!

As horrible, and sad as it is, when it comes to justice human life is low on the totem pole.
If it involves drugs, money, etc, then it goes straight to the top.

A young girl here was passed out, she was raped and locked in a room. The man that did it got 10 months in jail.
That's all for raping a child!

I watched a show called first and last (on netflix) one of the prisoners was a nice old grandma that got put in jail for 6 months for old speeding tickets. Tell me in what world, does a grandma get almost the same amount of time as a child rapist! Sick sick sick. it is maddening.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I read an interview with Elizabeth. She said when kidnapper mentioned he had a wife, she had hope that a woman might see a child and have some pity. She said the second she saw his wife, all her hope faded. She just sensed darkness.

How incredibly terrifying.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

This lady knew of what was going on, even if it was just a kidnapping (it wasn't), she should still be in prison for life.

We all know it was much more than that, and I don't even want to elaborate.

She was accessory and complicit, that has landed people longer in jail who aren't actually that bad of people and were part of victim-less crimes.

If you're in a house that has drugs on the table, you can be charged the same as everyone else in a bust... Whether you think people who do drugs are bad or not, in that case there is no victim.

In this case we have someone scarred for life.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

the wife encouraged a lot of the violence that happened against Elizabeth, how she is released is beyond sick.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
She should be pardoned really.....from life.
Pass the melt stick.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
She only had to do 8 years ..

If she had been caught with Elizabeth and some weed she would be doing life.

How can they release this woman? She kidnapped a 14 year old girl and held her captive for 9 months and she is getting out of prison.

She should be put to death for her crimes but they are releasing her.

I just do not understand our justice system. I cant think of anything worse than not knowing what happened to my 14 year old daughter.

Wondering if she is alive wondering if she is being raped or tortured or sold into sex slavery.

Im so pissed they let this evil person out of prison.

A woman convicted for her role in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart, who was held captive for nine months when she was 14 years old, was released from prison on Wednesday.

The Utah Department of Corrections said just after 8 a.m. local time that Wanda Barzee, 72, had been freed from Utah State Prison. A gaggle of reporters and news cameras arrived early Wednesday to stake out prison exits in anticipation of her leaving, but Barzee was not immediately spotted.

www.nbcnews.com...

I wouldn't be surprised if vigilante justice happened.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The United States Justice System:

Cops get away with anything and everything

Depending the crime, some are considered guilty long before evidence (or trial)

Authority figures will smear victims

Women get significantly less time sentenced than their male counterpart for the same crime

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So what? I mean really, so what? Will it make me happy to see her back in jail? No cuz I don't care. This world is too full of injustices to get all wanked out over one more incident like this. I do suppose though that this sort of thing serves for those who want to be angry and filled with rage all the time.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

So what?? I care because those type of people keep doing evil deeds. Even though injustices are all over it doesnt' mean we have to just sit back and be ok with it. By your type of thinking we should just release all prisoners because what does it matter?

It does matter and in some cases Judges are recalled. That does make a difference, maybe not to you but to the next victim out there.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

I saw a TV interview of Elizabeth Smart a few years back. Amazing really how altogether "normal" and well adjusted she seemed after that ordeal. Maybe she's just on some really good drugs.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
While I agree the time she got seemed low. however, if the courts feel she did her time than its not for me to decide they were wrong or right. Many times the long arm of justice has gone overboard and sometimes they mess up and do so little. The thing is that this lady really has no place to live now. Everywhere she tries to go the community will have nothing to do with her.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Could be wrong but don't think @terryMcGurie once said to let everyone out of prison. They stated they don't care, which is a pretty fair statement. You also say you care because people keep doing evil things. that is pretty daming in its self. Yes! some will continue doing stuff but not going with a general statement saying these people will keep doing evil deeds.

The end of the day none of us were on the jury and were involved in this case. She might have gotten a deal for helping the case further. Should she have gotten life, possibly but again was not on the jury so i have to right to judge.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OzManHero

Maybe I am not a person to judge, but I truly believe if there is one person that has the right, it is not the jury, it is Elizabeth Smart is, and here is what she says:

"I do believe she’s a threat," Smart said of Barzee during last week's press conference. "For me, I know the depth of her depravity."

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So what?? I care because those type of people keep doing evil deeds. Even though injustices are all over it doesnt' mean we have to just sit back and be ok with it. By your type of thinking we should just release all prisoners because what does it matter?

It does matter and in some cases Judges are recalled. That does make a difference, maybe not to you but to the next victim out there.

Those types of people? That woman is 72 years old. She was in a marriage with a very warped dude for decades prior to that kidnapping. He is in jail for life. How likely do you find it that that woman at 72 is going to resume that life of crime? How likely is it that she will go out and find another dude to hook up with who would join her in any kind of stuff like that. Not likely if you ask me.

The courts found that justice had by their standards she had served her time for the crime she was found guilty of.
We as uninvolved media witnesses to this crime are involved only in an abstract sense. Unlike Miss Smart who personally suffered at that woman's hands,

Does your logic really extrapolate from my statement that I think all prisoners should be released?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OzManHero

Some people are wrapped up in a notion of absolute justice but from my experience the real world is not that cut and dried.
I see different types of justice. There is the justice that the victim needs to validate their own worth, to know that society is balanced. I can understand Miss Smart wanting more jail time.

Then there is revenge justice. This is a justice I can also understand from the point of the victim, wanting to get back at the perp for the wrongs done to them specifically. But this '' revenge justice'' when called for by others not involved in the specific crime is something else again and that is what has interested me in this case.

The calling for death or stocks or whatever else we arm chair vigilantes cry out for is not justice but rather the fodder of blood lust brought on by the high of the adreneline rush when calling righteous reprisal.

I am always in mind of that old book/movie The Oxbow Incident.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Do you even know anything about this case? I don't think so. Even her own biological children call her a monster. Feeding her kids their own pets for dinner (yea, that's something you can reabilitate NOT!)
I don't care if she is 99 years old, as long as she can take a breath she is a threat!
The courts are wrong in this case.

"Barzee would sit next to Smart and "encourage her husband to continue to rape me,"
www.nbcnews.com...

web.archive.org...://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wanda-barzees-children-oprah-monster/story?id=9731355
The children of one of Elizabeth Smart's kidnappers remembered their mother today as a "monster" who once, with a sly smile, served her youngest daughter her pet rabbit for dinner.

"I think the media portrayed my mother as being a victim of Brian David Mitchell, and I think one of the reasons I wanted to come on this show is to kind of expose her for the monster she is," Andrea said.

I almost believe that this crazed woman was more of the Mind behind the kidnapping than her husband!
edit on 19-9-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

So how will she be a threat to others now. Her madness thrived within a support system. First with her first husband and the support he supplied her with. Then with her other husband and the LDS and their support. But then when their madness became so great, they left that church and struck out on their own, in their own symbiotic madness.

He is gone from that picture now and she is free. But free to do what? Where is her support system. Her children?? Will they join her in her madness? Or at 72 another husband who is just as mad? Will she go out and seduce a younger man into madness enough to commit crimes?? As a 72 year old? That is just to implausible to suppose.

And as well, do we suppose that there will not be ''watchers'' keeping some kind of an eye on this old woman? Do we suppose that she will not be branded wherever she goes? Shunned?

No, I think she will be branded for the rest of her life.

top topics

join