It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI DOJ will still redact documents Trump called to be released

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The Department of Justice (DOJ), FBI and Office of the Director of National Intelligence are reportedly expected to propose redactions to a series of documents related to the Russia investigation that President Trump ordered to be declassified this week.

Bloomberg News reported on Wednesday that the agencies are currently doing a methodical review of the documents. There is no official timeline on when their evaluation of the sensitive documents will be finished.

But the news outlet, citing sources familiar with the process, noted that the FBI and the DOJ plan on submitting their proposed redactions to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

thehill.com...

I think this is an interesting situation.

I am sure almost all of us would want the full release with no redactions of these documents.

But the intel community and dems have put trump in a sort of double bind.

On one hand, they say that there must be redactions, or lives and the country will be endangered by revealing sources and methods. This was what the said with the nunes memo, and it turned out to be a total lie. It turns out the fbi was using this excuse to hide things that would just be embarrassing for them, and endangered no ones life.

Then on the other hand, these people say that if trump isnt releasing things fully unredacted, then that proves he is selectively releasing, and therefore its all worthless. They will say that no matter what we can read from the unredacted portions, because there are some parts redacted, we dont know the context, and therefore we shouldnt put any weight into the released material.

And strangely, the intel and community and dems have an ally in the form of the bulk of the main stream media that usually would be all for government transparency and shining a light on potential corruption from the intel communities, who are now breathlessly arguing to keep the material hidden from the public.

These are the same people that will stand on their soap box and say how this country needs a free press, they will say things like democracy dies in darkness. And yet here they are, being the mouthpiece for the intel community arguing the public doesnt have the right to transparency.

So remember, trump is the one pushing for this material to be released as fully as possible, the media, dems, and intel community are fighting against that, and are still going to make redactions despite trumps order.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

At this stage having the FBI and or Office of the Director of National Intelligence oversee/redact anything is like asking the Cat to guard your goldfish.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

RR should be fired if DOCs requested are not released. The President have the authority to release it. Not only that Obama had an EO stating that such DECLAS is within the POTUS's obligation.

Executive Order 13526
Sec 1.7
"Classification Prohibitions and Limitations. (a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:
(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;
(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;
(3) restrain competition; or
(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security."

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Trump can refuse the FBI and DOJ proposals. The 21 FISA documents selected are supposed to be the key documents for the application. I assume the documents not selected involve methods and sources . Chucky boy hasn’t called for all FISA documents to be released. I wonder why? ( rhetorical )

Plus all the text messages will come out unredacted .

Sounds transparent to me .
edit on 19-9-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

We need to have more transparency.

No no hide it block it all.

See look Trump won't release everything impeach him.

Repeat.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

yes I would, but there are rules in place that dont allow release of sources, methods etc.. so even if declassified, we dont really get to see what matters. I heard Napolitano talk about this a couple days ago.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
So remember, trump is the one pushing for this material to be released as fully as possible, the media, dems, and intel community are fighting against that, and are still going to make redactions despite trumps order.

Gee, I may be just an ignorant foreigner but it strikes me that burning all those confidential resources just to score political points is kinda like pissing in yer boots to keep yer feet warm. But then, the Cheeto Benito has never been regarded as a particularly deep thinker, has he?

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Gee, I may be just an ignorant foreigner but it strikes me that burning all those confidential resources just to score political points is kinda like pissing in yer boots to keep yer feet warm. But then, the Cheeto Benito has never been regarded as a particularly deep thinker, has he?

Yes we know the talking point; we cant see the full texts of agents discussing insurance policies to keep trump from getting elected, who even the IG has admitted had bias that he was willing to act on, because it "burns sources". Though we already saw with the release of the nunes memo when it was released that this argument was a lie.

I guess we should never question the intel agencies then. Problem with them lying to get the US into the iraq war? Well sorry, you cant see their material because that would "burn sources"

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

You mean to score political points like accusing a Supreme Court nominee of sexual assault to delay a nomination?

I thought you guys wanted a transparent government. Now things should remain classified?

Go figure.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yes, ignorant is right. They already made this claim and it turned out to he a lie. Nothing was burned and it was all about political points ... For the Democrats.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
You mean to score political points like accusing a Supreme Court nominee of sexual assault to delay a nomination?
I thought you guys wanted a transparent government. Now things should remain classified? Go figure.

First off, you've posted a false equivalency. Secondly, it's a no-brainer that certain things need to be kept confidential. You may have heard of a process called 'compromise', though.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Like everything else president Trump does, it's all about ways to delay the process for as long as possible, preferably until he is no longer president and it can all be swept back under the rug. Forever!

Don't expect to ever see any of this classified information without being heavily redacted to the point that nothing new or important is revealed, or expect the "process" to last longer than Trump's presidency.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

That’s kind of the point. If a assets was the one who gave the info, that started the whole trump Russia saga.

Joseph Mifsud, the professor, who supposedly told Papadopoulos that Russia had Clinton’s emails. If Mifsud was an American or UK asset not a Russian assest.

Then is the three letter agencies leaked to their sources in the press to then use the press as confirmation of the story to FISA courts.

Exposing these sources IS the reason to declassify. If you were one of the leakers or a media source who knew that you were being used to justify warrants, would you want that info to come to light??

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Eh, they're just working on a proposal.

Trump simply has to reject their proposal, no?

That beard is getting super-scraggly. It's believed in some circles that a man's beard provides a sort-of 6th sense -- you need to continue to let it grow -- I think it's working!

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

It's the Democrats stalling.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

Eh, they're just working on a proposal.

Trump simply has to reject their proposal, no?

That beard is getting super-scraggly. It's believed in some circles that a man's beard provides a sort-of 6th sense -- you need to continue to let it grow -- I think it's working!

My beard is at the whim of my wife.

At one point, it was near 8 inches long.

But sadly, the married man must at least maintain the appearance of some grooming

edit on 19-9-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
with the levels of corruption in our government in all levels the solution that comes to mind reminds me a lot of the revolution

it's that or the people we elect need to start getting their job done

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I gotta say, if Trump just merely waited until the investigation was over to release these documents, I'd bet a lot of these problems would go away. It just looks so shady that he is trying to declassify documents involving an investigation into himself and the people around him.
edit on 19-9-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The question US citizens should be asking of their intel agencies is, quite simply, “Who are you politically protecting”?

There is no legitimate reason to redact anything. If there are sources, they are already identified to the leaky intel agencies so it’s not like there is any security for those people. If it’s protecting Obama and the Dems, along with the never Trumpers (most likely scenario), the US citizenry has a right to know if its government is illegally spying on its citizens.

In the end, US citizens should be demanding their government agencies work for them and not the other way around.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I gotta say, if Trump just merely waited until the investigation was over to release these documents, I'd bet a lot of these problems would go away. It just looks so shady that he is trying to declassify documents involving an investigation into himself and the people around him.

That would be bad for two reasons.

One, the investigation could take months or years longer.

If there were actual abuses, should trump just shut up and take it, let himself be smeared for all of that time, and not be able to work on his agenda?

Secondly, if there was corruption, then it does affect the current investigation.

The entire idea seems to be this; make up any reason to spy on or go after people connected with trump, raid their offices in the middle of the night, charge them with decades old crimes, and do anything possible to get them in any kind of legal trouble, then press them to flip to give dirt on anything trump has done.

And now people are saying we shouldnt see potential evidence of wrong doing by investigators until after the investigation?

What possible detriment could Trump releasing fisa details and these texts have to muellers investiogation, unless they show evidence of corruption?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join