It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do you think about motorized bicycle conversation kits?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
hey everyone, one night while searching the internet i came across these 2 stroke , four stroke , and electric conversation kits for bicycles.

the 80cc 2-stroke gets 100-150 mpg, im not sure how many mpg you get for the 4 stroke bike engine , but im sure its a nice bit more.

i forgot to add there is a little 48cc two stroke engine .

what do you think of these?i love them and plan to get the 80cc two stroke. youtube has alot of videos if you are interested. please fallow the links, take a look and chime in.
edit on 18-9-2018 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2018 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
They seem fun and a cheap way of transportation from A to B.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

I think they're cool, but also are a potential tempest in a teapot. In this state *Alaska), for example, it's perfectly legal to operate a standard bicycle while under the influence (assuming you're not fall down drunk in which case it's a drunk tank visit and little more), but the moment you have any sort of motor on your bike, even the little electric assist things, it becomes a felony OUI charge.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
A motorized bicycle was the first thing Harley Davison ever made. So at least they have some history .

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

i think theyre cool
i dont have one but if its how i could get around i would

in the early 90's my dad lost his license for like 10 years after multiple dui's so he grabbed one of these. its how he got around.
i used the # out of it man

put a lot of miles on that thing. put like 12 cents in gas and right forever. pretty quick too. definitely not just putting along

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
well it does not look like what my dad had but i cant tell with it off the bike

his was a small little engine that mounted to the back and then had this little armature for lack of a better word that would spin. you folded it down and locked it over the tire so when that spun it spun the tire.
i dont remember that thing ever giving him any problems and we used that thing a lot

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
More bike thefts I would bet if they become more wide spread.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: theboarman
hey everyone, one night while searching the internet i came across these 2 stroke , four stroke , and electric conversation kits for bicycles.

the 80cc 2-stroke gets 100-150 mpg, im not sure how many mpg you get for the 4 stroke bike engine , but im sure its a nice bit more.

i forgot to add there is a little 48cc two stroke engine .

what do you think of these?i love them and plan to get the 80cc two stroke. youtube has alot of videos if you are interested. please fallow the links, take a look and chime in.

Over 100 years there have been stock nd convertible bicycles... Quite popular in early 1900-1930's. Gone in and out of popularity... there are still a few in collectable stores, museums and private collections.

One of my next block over neighbors has one and rides it daily. 2 stroke I believe.... And I don't think you need to use the motor exclusively....pedal a bit, get tired and kick the motor on.

Dont know why these weren't/aren't more popular!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

those are called friction drive i believe

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I've played around with the "80cc" engine kit before.
Different sticker on it, but same cheap Chinese kit. I WAS impressed by how it loved climbing hilly roads. But I was constantly fixing it. When the drive chain pops off and jams, and you're suddenly dealing with your back tire completely locked up, not fun. These engines are generally made with low grade metal, bearings, and electric components. Good for an rducation and first foray, but they've gained the nick name of "throw away engines." Oh and price comparison? I bought mine for $100 Canadian, which is about $75 US right now.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Fun if you're not going to be in traffic. In traffic they are death traps; simply to low powered to get out of the way when you need torque.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I may be one to talk to.
I did all the research. The 2 strokes are cheapo. The electric conversions are cheapo.
I finally decided to go for a quality premade electric bike with lots of torque, and top end. Lithium battery 25 miles to a charge, and I charge it off my solar array/ battery bank for free.

It does 29 MPH without pedaling, and Ive had it up to 38 MPH by pedaling and full throttle. I could do over 40 MPH for sure. I pass cars in residential like they are standing still. I was passing cars doing 35, and the drivers looked at me with confusion.......

Here it is! A Prodecotech Outlaw 1200. 1200 watts, and 1800 watts peak power. 48 volts

Hauls ass!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I've built 5 of them. Had a blast driving them. Always used the china doll two strokes. The last I tried, the motor was crap. Completely defective. No refund. So I stopped building them.

Still, buy from a reputable company even if it means spending an extra 30 to 50 bucks. Find a friendly local machine shop.

Beach cruisers are great, I used one macargi and it was sick.

Best ever was a home made frame.

edit on 18-9-2018 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

I still have one custom frame I held on to just in case I ever get the urge to build another, but it will require a lot of fabrication. I want to use a ten speed gearing system with a jack shaft drive. I'm pretty sure it would be capable of 50 mph.
edit on 18-9-2018 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I used to recycle electronics, and at the time had an arrangement which this guy where he'd give me stacks of RAM sticks in exchange for PSU's.

He had built himself an electrical motorised bicycle as he'd lost his licence for DUI, but the power supplies kept burning out when he was charging the thing.

Long story short, one time he had me follow him in my van while he cycled ahead in front to a barn he owned, and I'll tell you what, that thing could bloody shift, it was mind-blowingly quick!

I developed some respect for electric bikes that day,

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Crikey mate, I like those especially the second photo.

Great bikes, all of them.

Kind regards,
bally

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I've built two so far, drove them for many years. Learned a lot on the first one. Here's some advice from what I've learned.

Don't buy a cheap knock-off kit, buy a Grubee kit.

Replace all the crappy Chinese hardware with good hardened steel bolts and hardware.

Use lock tight or paint to keep nuts on their bolts.

Get an American made #41 roller chain for the drive chain.

Use front forks with shock absorbers, a good bump can cause damage and a pot hole will throw you head over heels.

Disk brakes are best, but if you use regular bicycle caliper brakes, make sure they don't rub on the wheels.

If you drive it at night, get real head lights and running lights, not crappy bicycle lights, and have as many reflectors as you can.

Use self sealing inner tubes and the best tires you can afford.

Have some spare parts handy, like an extra engine drive sprocket, gaskets, etc.

Constantly check and adjust everything, make sure nothing is getting loose and do a pre-flight check before every ride.

Clean or replace the air filter every season.

Use motorcycle gas tank sealant to keep your gas tank from rusting inside.

Carry every tool and part you will need to make on the road repairs.

Have all the specialized tools you'll need for the bicycle and the engine, like a chain breaker, low foot pound torch wrench and tools for things like the wheel hub and crank hanger.

Wear safety gear like some kind of glasses (or visor) and a helmet, long pants, gloves and a jacket.
edit on 19-9-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Might as well try to ride a chainsaw. I guess it's cool as long as nothing goes wrong. Probably should wear a helmet to make yourself look more cool and make your head bounce instead of splatter if it hits the pavement.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Go electric! They are silent, gas motors are obnoxious and take away from the peaceful nature of being on a bike. I would recommend the Bafang bbs02 kit. This is a setup you can put on most bikes and is the best bang for your buck.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow, what a great idea. You could call it a MOTORBIKE.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

wow those are nice, but they are out of my price range at the moment at 2-3 thousand, which is even more for me because im canadian and i believe the company is from the united states.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join