It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Become Like God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
That's what we all should strive for, to be little images of god. Imagine the horror if we'd all believe in a judgmental, bloodthirsty god like so many do nowadays. And then strive for becoming like him, better to be an atheist, than a believer who thinks god hates xy.

First we all should clean up what our image of god is before we try to become his image. Not?

Is unlimited, unconditional love really the answer? It looks so simple but if you think about it it's incredible complicated. What would being a good god look like?
edit on 18-9-2018 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

George Burns?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I'm pretty much agnostic - god's existence is unprovable until death or the advent of some sort of divine judgement day.

I've found 'treat others as you would be treated yourself' to be a sound and simple moral code to try to abide by.

I struggle to believe that an omniscient, omnipotent being would demand total obedience to strict and repressive dictates or would condemn those deemed unworthy or impure to eternal damnation and hellfire.

If 'he' does then 'he' would nothing more than an egotistical maniac and not worthy of one's worship or adoration.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Why should we keep the image of a god at all???

There is no proof of one....

All the worlds ancient writings concerning the nature of reality were horribly wrong...

Why would we want to put lipstick on the pig that is the bloodthirsty, vengeful god of the past???

Maybe that’s is why we still have extremists running around committing atrocities.

Maybe if the religions of the past were discarded rather than the vast majority ignoring the texts that tell you to rape and murder and only focusing on the stuff that is acceptable today. Then maybe the crazies wouldn’t have even discovered the horrifying religious texts??

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

The one from Simpsons? Now I want you to expand on that. Please explain it to me

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's difficult if you're being honest with yourself.

I cannot say this from experience, but I kinda suspect that if it's easy for you to STAY in a place of unconditional love, then that might be because the life you set up around you is easy and accommodating to your lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong--thats not necessarily a bad thing. That might be proof that you put the work into your life that was needed to keep it in a pleasant balance. Doing that honest work on yourself is a part of this. Our spiritual growth taps out eventually if we neglect our material life.

Of course, if being "awakened" is easy for you, it could also be that your eyes are still closed. To what? Well, that would be subjective to the individual and what he or she chooses to include in their experience.

Speaking from my own, it is not always easy to see the divinity of others (or myself) when they're actively trying to hurt you or when the obligations of life are stretching you thin. I imagine I'll be practicing it for the rest of my life.

When you are a baby, like me, your mistakes and weaknesses and self-assisted, less-than-perfect environments remain right at your feet--regardless of how enlightened you are. Even if you've seen, heard, felt or tasted the Oneness, you still have your work cut out for you in this material realm. And, at this point, I'm only talking about work in the immediate sphere of my life.

Going beyond my current bubble, I imagine, is a whole other adventure that would be sure to test my resolve. Facing the darkness with love is daunting enough to lose your life over. The story of Jesus lays that all out.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is in philosophy not religions, the question is more about what image you would like to have of a god rather than which ones existed before and in no way is it relevant if he exists at all.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: awakendhybrid

Thank you that was a good response. Endless personal growth is the only valid approach. I doubt those preaching unconditional love for everybody ever can really fill it with life, there simply are bad people doing ugly things, you can't just love that away.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Im guessing you didnt grow up in the 70s😀

Oh, God! is a 1977 American comedy film starring George Burns and John Denver. Based on a novel of the same name by Avery Corman, the film was directed by Carl Reiner from a screenplay written by Larry Gelbart. The story centers on unassuming supermarket manager Jerry Landers (Denver), chosen by God (Burns) to spread his message despite the skepticism of the media, religious authorities, and Landers' own wife (Teri Garr).

It was a pretty good movie for the day
edit on 18-9-2018 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
From Yoga Vasistha

DO YOU KNOW WHO GOD IS?
Do you know who 'God' is? God is not Visnu (a deity) or Siva (energy) or Brahma (creator), not the wind, the sun nor the moon; not I or you; not Laksmi, or the mind (intellect).

God is without form and undivided (not in the objects); that splendor (devanam) which is not made and which has neither beginning nor end is known as god (deva) which is pure consciousness (awareness).

That alone is fit to be worshipped; that alone is all.

If one is unable to worship this consciousness, then he is encouraged to worship the form.

The latter yields finite results, but the former (consciousness) bestows infinite bliss. He who ignores the Infinite and is devoted to the finite abandons a pleasure garden, and seeks the thorny bush.

However, sages sometimes worship a form playfully.

Now for the articles used in worship: wisdom, self-control and the perception of the Self in all beings are the foremost among those articles. The Self alone is consciousness, which is fit to be worshipped at all times with the flowers of wisdom.

Indeed only infinite consciousness (cid-akasa) which alone exists even after the cosmic dissolution, exists even now, utterly devoid of objectivity. All these mountains, the whole world, the firmament, the Self, the jiva (individual) and all the elements of which the world is constituted - all these are nothing but pure consciousness.

Before the so-called creation, when only this pure consciousness existed, where were all these (heaven, etc)?

Space (akasa), supreme or infinite space (paramakasam), absolute space (brahmakasam), creation, consciousness - are mere words and they indicate the same truth, even as synonyms do.

Even as the duality experienced in a dream is illusory, the duality implied in the creation of the world is illusory. Even as the dream objects seem to exist and function in the inner world of consciousness in a dream, objects seem to exist and function in the outer world of consciousness during the wakeful state.

Nothing really happens in both these states. Even as consciousness alone is the reality in the dream state, consciousness alone is the substance in the wakeful state too.

That is the Lord, this is the supreme truth, that you are, that am I, that is all.

The worship of that Lord (consciousness) is true worship, and by that worship one attains everything. Consciousness is undivided and indivisible, non-dual and neither fashioned nor created by activity; it is not attained by external efforts. Its adoration is the fountain source of joy.

The external worship of a form (deity, holy personage) is prescribed for those whose intelligence has not be awakened, and who are immature like little boys. When one does not have self-control, he uses flowers in worship; such worship is futile, even as adoring the Self in an external form is futile. However these immature devotees derive satisfaction by worshipping an object created by themselves, they may even earn worthless reward from such worship.

I shall now describe to you the mode of worship appropriate to enlightened people. The Lord fit to be worshipped is the one who upholds the entire creation, who is beyond thoughts and description, who is beyond the concepts of even the 'all' and the 'collective totality.'

He alone is referred to as 'God' who is undivided and indivisible by space and time, who's light illumines all the objects, who is pure and absolute consciousness. He is that intelligence which is beyond all its parts, which is hidden in all that is, which is the being in all that is and which robs all that is of their being (i.e. which veils the truth of their Self). This God is in the middle of being and non-being (as awareness). It is God, and the truth that is indicated by 'Om'. It (awareness) exists everywhere, like the essence in a plant.

The pure consciousness which is in you, in me and in all the gods and goddesses alone is God. Holy one, eve the other gods endowed with form are indeed nothing but that pure consciousness. That is God, that is 'all' I am; everything is attained from and through him.

That God is not distant from anyone, nor is he difficult to attain: since he is forever seated in the body and he is everywhere like

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'm pretty much agnostic - god's existence is unprovable until death or the advent of some sort of divine judgement day.

I've found 'treat others as you would be treated yourself' to be a sound and simple moral code to try to abide by.

I struggle to believe that an omniscient, omnipotent being would demand total obedience to strict and repressive dictates or would condemn those deemed unworthy or impure to eternal damnation and hellfire.

If 'he' does then 'he' would nothing more than an egotistical maniac and not worthy of one's worship or adoration.

More than that.. assuming one of the worlds religions is true, why didn’t they get anything right about the nature of reality???

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

on a serious note, I practice methods of invocation and meditation focused on the heart, occiput and a spot near the navel.

Positive vizualization placed in the occiput, felt in the heart and stored in the gut, is all I can really say on the matter, but its immenently less violent then some come across.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Never heard of that. But thank you for the explanation

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Truth is a virtue to me higher than love and kindness.
Gotta be honest with our selves and others. We share a collective reality some things are subjectively true other things are unequivocally true.

To be god like to me is to be truthful all of the time no sugar coating no spared feelings.(subjectively true)

edit on 18-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Yesterday I wrote musings about the soul, I think you would have liked it. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Why occiput and naval?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I can totally agree with that. I just had a conversation today that in experience there is nothing more important than subjective reality/truth. Nice coincidence you bring that up again here.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

A hint is the occiput is also known as the mouth of God, as well as near the seat of vision. After circulating energy that is acquired it is most safely stored in dan tian. Many mystics suffer issues with their physical heart by focussing there extensively without circulating. the same can be said of the centers in the head and the development of mental abberations.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join