It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump adds 41% to Federal Debt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well since Obama wants to take credit for all the good news economy wise, then he must still be contributing to the debt as well. We will never recover from the damage he is obviously responsible for.

Let's us be honest for a change. The debt is now a lot of interest from what has already been spent. And since the President can only sign what's in front of him, why do we not blame the real fools in charge and that is Congress.

Yes, Republicans are currently at the helm but again if we are being honest, we all know that it really doesn't make a difference, both sides are out of control.
edit on 9/18/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Take care, you'll be accused of being logical and prudent......

a reply to: CriticalStinker

I have thick skin, so whatever I do get accused of is fine.

Hope you're doing well down in North Carolina.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: soberbacchus

You should give a heads up in the Q threada - They'll respond "trust the Plan"

Think positively. Speculate to accumulate. If it fails, shame on me. If it succeeds then the west will be in a stronger position than seen for several decades.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Well since Obama is taking all the credit wouldnt this be on him too?

Is that what you're going with?

Yep.. If he can take credit for the economy, The GDP, unemployment rates , jobs, the stock market then why not the debt.

Unless its all Trump which it is BTW..

There is nuance to the subject and it's not black and white, but there is no sense in just coming in and muddying the waters right off the bat.

At the end of the day, it's bad. I think it would be more constructive to find out why it is going up so fast rather than fighting on who to blame.

But that's just me. After all, we are going to foot this bill at some point.

Im 46 and I have been hearing that BS about how "WE" are going to have to foot that bill my whole life, and it was all so bad lol.

40 years later and no footing of that bill.

Its all just BS.

Just because you don't get an invoice in the mail doesn't mean we aren't paying for it.

Is the dollar as strong as it used to be? Nope.

Hey but at least the middle class is compensated more to mitigate that.... nope.

So to summarize, in your mind the debt doesn't matter either way because you believe it has no impact?

We have had the debt my whole life. the impact is the same as its always been

Agreed, after inflation is adjusted we have no real average salary growth while productivity keeps going up.

But continue thinking that the American debt carries no significance.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

So you're claiming that all those years of right-wingers flipping their # over the national debt was nothing but fake partisan outrage?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

So, when the debt skyrocketed during BHO's 2 terms, I clearly remember hearing over and over and ooooover how that was due to policies and actions of the Bush administration.

All the good numbers currently are Team Brak's doing, all the bad are Team Trump.

Well, I guess if I had no self respect and didn't give two shats about anybody but Team Me, I could apply the same reasoning to my actions in life.

"You see boss, my low performance this month, that is due to the guy I replaced, you won't be able to see the my awesomeness till I retire. So you can't be getting all over my arse for it, or I'm filling a complaint with HR".

I should've gotten a government job...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Anybody remember when the GOP pretended to be the party of fiscal conservatism?

If ever there was a reason not to vote Republican it's this. Every time one of theirs is in office they add a ton of debt.
They are worse than Democrats at spending.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Novaroc

Debt is exponential, it's literally how banks exist. Bad thing about debt is once you get into it, unless you pay it off quick it just keeps growing. It will never get better because the conversation isn't about how to fix it, it's always about who to blame. We can blame everyone who didn't help the problem but were in a capacity where they could.... and guess what everyone, it's both parties.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

If ever there was a reason not to vote Republican it's this. Every time one of theirs is in office they add a ton of debt.

I'd say they are just as bad as each other and use the opposition as scapegoats.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Well since Obama is taking all the credit wouldnt this be on him too?

Is that what you're going with?

Yep.. If he can take credit for the economy, The GDP, unemployment rates , jobs, the stock market then why not the debt.

Unless its all Trump which it is BTW..

There is nuance to the subject and it's not black and white, but there is no sense in just coming in and muddying the waters right off the bat.

At the end of the day, it's bad. I think it would be more constructive to find out why it is going up so fast rather than fighting on who to blame.

But that's just me. After all, we are going to foot this bill at some point.

Im 46 and I have been hearing that BS about how "WE" are going to have to foot that bill my whole life, and it was all so bad lol.

40 years later and no footing of that bill.

Its all just BS.

???????

You do realize that you are taxed annually to pay the interest on this debt, right?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Novaroc

So, when the debt skyrocketed during BHO's 2 terms, I clearly remember hearing over and over and ooooover how that was due to policies and actions of the Bush administration.

The spending there was on unemployment, social security, food stamps, social safety nets, bailouts, all of it related to the economic crisis..

Yes, it was Pres. Obama's spending, because he could have said screw that and not paid for those things.

But that brings us no closer to understanding why, when the economy is now doing great, Trump is on track to spend the same amount in 4 years that Pres. Obama spent in 8 while shepherding the country out of the greatest economic crisis since the great depression?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thats due to ol Barry not giving a rat's rear on the VA , infrastructure , etc .

(LA Times source)

But he did give billions to Iran

Huh? What's that got to do with the national debt or the federal budget? Not a damn thing? It was money that we took back in 1979 for the purchase of military hardware that was never delivered because of the Iranian revolution.

It's this simple. Basically there are really only three reasonable positions here and none of them are, "Who cares about the debt under Trump, I hate Obama" :

1. The national debt is a big deal.
2. The national debt isn't a big deal
3. The national debt is a big deal but you're betting deficits are short term and it will all work out in the end.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

It's amazing.

Two years ago

Trump: I will eliminate U.S. debt in 8 years
thehill.com...

Now

He will add almost as much in four years as Obama did in eight.

That would also make him the second-biggest contributor to the debt in history in just one term.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You don't social media much I see.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's quite clear isn't it???

There is no way out from under this debt. There is no focused effort to decrease the debt. No one within the government seems to really care about the debt... is that because so many sectors' retirements are tied up within the national debt?? Uh, yes!

Don't worry kids - tell your kids not to worry either. It's just a number - lmao.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It is very easy to say Trump is 'adding' to the debt because he is in office. They are his policies now. I get that.

However.

He did not start with a clean slate. So, he has to make cuts. When he does this, to cut the spending that was put in place by the PAST administration, they also freak out!

HE cannot cut this! HE cannot cut that! People will DIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!

a joke....

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

Donald Trump: As projected in the FY 2019 budget, Trump plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41-percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget for FY 2017.

He will add almost as much in four years as Obama did in eight.

That would also make him the second-biggest contributor to the debt in history in just one term.

•FY 2021 - $1.119 trillion.
•FY 2020 - $1.198 trillion.
•FY 2019 - $1.225 trillion.
•FY 2018 - $1.233 trillion.

www.thebalance.com...

Trump will add as much in four years as Pres. Obama did in EIGHT, and Pres. Obama was bailing out industry and dealing with a crashing economy!

Under Trump's watch, national debt tops $21 trillion for first time in hisotry

About a year ago, President Trump pledged to eliminate the national debt "over a period of eight years."

But for the first time in history, the national debt surpassed $21 trillion this week, according to the U.S. Treasury.

www.cbsnews.com...

Just wondering if there are any Fiscal Conservatives left in the GOP?

Or has that pillar of the Conservative Platform been red-penned along with Family Values and other inconvenient principles in the age of Trumpism?

Well... apparently the author of the piece you linked to missed it... and it looks like you missed it as well.

Notice anything funny about $8.282 trillion and this:

•FY 2021 - $1.119 trillion.
•FY 2020 - $1.198 trillion.
•FY 2019 - $1.225 trillion.
•FY 2018 - $1.233 trillion.

I'll wait...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
To be fair... we do have to add $672 billion for 2017 to the previous posts totals, referenced in your linked article.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Are we sure this is accurate....

I only ask because adding on 41% seems absolutely massive, how has this happened.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You all loved it and defended it under The Zer0Bama.

Now you all hate it under Trump.

Bwaaaahahahahaha

"Look at all the phonies crawling for the honey !!"

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join