It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-mas is 98 days away and stores don't have enough workers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You are so right. The retailers that are smart will pay more (a lot more) and get to pick the best workers.
We'll see who those retailers are.

I know who they aren't:
Hobby Lobby
Walmart
Home Depot
Macys

So right about that. As an associate at Wally-world, we're already hurting for employees in a big way. Every team in the store is short people so that day to day functioning is becoming a joke. We should have 12 people on ours. We have 5 to cover 2 shifts from 8 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week. Every new person they've hired recently has quit within 2-3 weeks after the stress got to them and they realized just how bad it can get.

Halloween is coming quick. Then Black Friday shopping. Then Christmas and Boxing Day and we're going to be in serious trouble. You know it's bad when people from the accounting office are being pulled back to the back to help unload trucks. Geez.

People are stressed, sore, and so burnt out. Some changes have to be made. Can't run a major retail store like that.

Funny you should mention a high turnover rate a Walmart, that's where a lot of the recent hires this spring and summer at my husband's factory came from. He came home one day utterly perplexed at the 6th or 7th n00b operator that week that had previously worked for Walmart, "TF is so wrong with Walmart now that people are flooding away from them?" I told him to just ask the new folks, but IMO, it was probably a combo of bad pay, and their point system punishment/employee treatment. He asked around and that was actually confirmed, they were paid less to do more work (compared to operating presses) and the point system was rigid with no case-by-case give. I already know it is, my best friend has been stuck working for them in a rural town for years and can't even take a day off with a doctor's note to urge it because she gets pointed for it. Never mind if she needs to take one of her kids in for sudden illnesses.
Gee Walmart, and you wonder why you have such a high turnover rate? Because if people can get out of your trap as soon as they realize it is one, they WILL.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Good.

Christmas has become a sick holiday for sick people to indulge in gluttony and greed.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Christmas is a cash churn, which our economy needs

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Christmas has become a sick holiday for sick people to indulge in gluttony and greed.

Every day is like Christmas for me. Why wait until it's cold.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
my family always have xmas on a odd date so its not 98 for us its 27

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Just curious what the "trap" is? How does Walmart typically keep people from leaving?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I don't even bother shopping anymore for Christmas. Too much of a headache and you never know if they'll like what you bought them. Any more I go into Mejiers get a bunch of gift card and Boom, it's done. They can go buy gas or whatever with them.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
More and more cities and larger population areas are having the issue with minimum wage pay and even a bit hire not being able to support people. Seasonal work is not much better, I believe a lot of the employees are hired as pt works as well.

Washington state isn't far behind overall. Talked to quite few people having to leave the state, sadly working their way to OR which is worse off.

"Minimum-wage workers can't afford typical 1-bedroom apartment in 31 Oregon counties"

Even with the minimum-wage hike that took effect this month, a Portland-area worker would need to work more than two jobs -- 81 hours a week -- to make the rent. In all but a handful of counties, it would take a work week in excess of a 40-hour full-time job. The statewide average is a 65-hour work week.

Source

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join