It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware before scratching your pencil - everything's about race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
So front page of ATS plenty going on in the world - Syria Russia US confrontations. Let's take a step back and discuss matters of importance...like some butt hurt entitled Professor correcting what Mark Knight " should have known better ".

www.news.com.au... 6e33

AN American political editor has explained why he believes an Australian cartoonist’s depiction of Serena Williams was racist — regardless of intent. Dr Jason Johnson, who is also a professor of politics and journalism at Morgan State University, suggested the Herald Sun’s Mark Knight was aware he’d drawn Williams as a “brooding, big-lipped, almost ape-like” figure and that it was unnecessary in his endeavour to highlight her bad behaviour at the US Open. “If the cartoon was purely about bad behaviour I don’t see why she had to be depicted the way she was. You can have her jumping up and down, whining, crying, whatever — that’s typical for sport … you can depict people as sore losers,” Dr Johnson told Melbourne’s 3AW....

“It’s a cartoon about poor behaviour. It’s nothing to do with race. I drew this cartoon on Monday night, I saw the world’s greatest tennis player spit the dummy.”

But Johnson said Knight’s explanation failed to take into account the history of the way black people had been represented in America.

“But to depict her in this large, brooding way — even for a cartoonist — is reminiscent about (how) black women in America and black women’s bodies (have been racially portrayed in the past) — especially in comparison to Naomi Osaka who in the back corner is drawn as this lithe, possibly white, looking woman.

“I understand Mark Knight is Australian, consequently his understanding of racial depictions might not be the same as they are in the United States, but I also think as a cartoonist who is writing about an international incident and international figure, I don’t buy that he was completely oblivious to how his work would be perceived either.

Intent doesn't matter

Dr Johnson argued it didn’t matter what Knight’s intention was. If his cartoon was received as racist, it was racist. “Regardless of what his intention was, the way it was received is legitimate as well,” he said. “He can claim until the cows come home that he didn’t intend this to be at all racist — maybe that wasn’t his intent — it doesn’t mean it wasn’t.

Knight later explained his thinking

“The world’s gone crazy,” Knight said. “It’s a cartoon about poor behaviour. It’s nothing to do with race.

So irrespective of artistic freedom ( note she is often portrayed with big shoulders etc ) it is the artists job to take into account history, geography, biology, maybe even physics when making a satirical cartoon.

Take note my American friend; next time you mention Australia our kangaroos aren't all 2.43 mtrs ( thats 8 feet ) Crocodile Dundees knife is 381 cms ( 15" ) and there are safe beaches to swim without sharks.

If you don't take all our history into account we'll fire off some remnant of Skylab back at ya!

And BTW
And we drive on the right side of the road.

And our biscuits are biscuits!

I'm done with you all!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Here is the pic in question along with a real life still.

And another just for clarification.

It doesn't appear racist to me, it appears as what it is. Serena throwing a temper tantrum. Regardless of the right or wrong of her position.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

And for some balance, alternative view points from SBS - ( 80% funded by Aust taxpayers )

www.sbs.com.au...

SBS Life talks to four diverse Australian cartoonists on what their take was on Serena Williams' argument with an umpire who docked her a point and a game in the US Open Final.

We asked Australian cartoonists Maddie Hah, Costa A, SBS Sexuality writer and illustrator Sam Leighton-Dore, and Walkley award-winning graphic novelist Safdar Ahmed how they interpreted the match, in light of the political and racial politics of what Williams represents for tennis and broader society.....

Sam Leighton-Dore...

"I thought the match between Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka was a case study in athleticism, strength and the sheer emotion that comes with the myriad pressures of competing on a world stage. Sadly, the fallout since has demonstrated once again the gross double standards that women of colour are held to. I felt it was telling that white men had somehow managed to make such an historic event, shared by two women of colour, about them and their misplaced rage."

A few more PC, I mean diversity, comments from cartoonists on the above link

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Serena Williams called sexism after she was penalised for ranting at the umpire in the US Open Final. Williams claimed a man would never be sanctioned for what she did.

Carlos Ramos is a notoriously strict umpire, however. He has handed punishments to male and female tennis stars over the years, which they have disputed.

However, Williams may have a point about men getting away with more than women. Just one day after Williams' outburst, Novak Djokovic smashed his racket on the floor in frustration at the US Open Final… but received no code violation from umpire Alison Hughes.

There are other examples of men getting away with far worse than Williams, and none of them show tennis in a particularly good light. That being said, Williams did break the rules, three times and received three penalties. Sexism in tennis is alive and well - but her punishments were not an example of it.

So Sam, I'm not having much luck finding what's historic about that particular match. Oh wait Osaka was the 1st Japanese player to win the US Open.

fansided.com...
by Veronica Elizabeth Bruno

Naomi Osaka is the first Japanese player to win the U.S. Open, but that’s not what most people will take away from it. Serena Williams was fined

Hey Veronica, get it right - Osaka was the 1st Japanese female.
You haven't highlighted the "female" in your article enough times.
Shock horror - where's the outrage

But at least we got to read non-fake news of the exchange.

Here are some of the quotes via The Telegraph.

“You are attacking my character.”

“You are a liar.”

“You are never going to be on my court ever again.”

“Say you are sorry.” “How dare you insinuate I was cheating.”

“You stole a point from me. You are a thief too.”

The “thief” comment caused the third code violation and prompted the game penalty in the crucial last set, making it 5-3. Williams called out the officials to lodge her complaint, and probably vent some frustration.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Yep - if would have gone down really well if he sanitized it, drawing her thin

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yep - if would have gone down really well if he sanitized it, drawing her thin

Lol!! He could have made her white too!!

That would have white washed any hint of *racism*

He did his job as a cartoonist ...... but hey! left himself open to.....

Fat shaming.....

Racism......

Misogyny.....

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
She's not Chinese so I do see the issue.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Take note my American friend; next time you mention Australia our kangaroos aren't all 2.43 mtrs ( thats 8 feet ) Crocodile Dundees knife is 381 cms ( 15" ) and there are safe beaches to swim without sharks.

If you don't take all our history into account we'll fire off some remnant of Skylab back at ya!

And BTW
And we drive on the right side of the road.

And our biscuits are biscuits!

I'm done with you all!!!

No mention of every molecule of the place will poison you and then eat you, tho. Wake up (IF you're lucky), have to wrestle the eggs before they have you for breakfast, beat the bacon into submission, go to war with the plate and fork, try not to be dragged under by the rip tide in the coffee...

I know. I'm in deep doo doo.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Fat shaming.....
Racism......
Misogyny....

Misogyny? Do tell......

Next you'll be saying Tokophobia...

Safe spaces for sale.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

beat the bacon into submission

LOL - middle rashes - pure meat - none of that stringy hard stuff they call American bacon!

Rip tide? I only wade in swimming pools. I'll risk............

wiki
RWIs can be a wide variety of infections, including gastrointestinal, skin, ear, respiratory, eye, neurologic and wound infections. The most commonly reported RWI is diarrhea. Diarrheal illnesses can be caused by germs such as Crypto (short for Cryptosporidium), Giardia, Shigella, norovirus, and E. coli

Over battling a rip only to find out one of my legs is missing

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

It's a caricature in which features are exaggerated. In this case, I presume the mouth is larger precisely because of what she was doing -- opening her big mouth to throw a tantrum. As for the rest of her physical appearance, be honest -- Serena is a large girl, not in a fat way, but in a muscular, brawny sort of way.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
As a reasonably poor artist I find it really hard to draw different races without it looking like it was drawn in the 50's.

I kind of agree that the drawing does look a little racist however with cartoons things need to be exaggerated so you're kinda damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

But the actual content of the cartoon didn't have any bearing on race.

I don't think it's quite time to storm his office and start shooting yet.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I don't care what kind of race you are in, losing is hell when you are "special".

Some folks are just too "special" to be "good losers".

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Yeah - in the 80's the tantrum brat McEnroe was amusing

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's a caricature in which features are exaggerated. In this case, I presume the mouth is larger precisely because of what she was doing -- opening her big mouth to throw a tantrum. As for the rest of her physical appearance, be honest -- Serena is a large girl, not in a fat way, but in a muscular, brawny sort of way.
I'm not sure of the artist's true intent and won't consider the art racist, but damn those lips are way over-exaggerated!
It definitely depicts the tantrum that's for sure.
edit on 18-9-2018 by Illumimasontruth because: Spelinng

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Looks roided up to me.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Any McEnroe caricature would have to have a 'fro.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
As an artist, I have come up with a solution to this problem:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I was a little bit mystified at the phrase "scratching your pencil" in the title... why would you scratch your- Oh! I know, it must be something about guys scratching their junk? But how does that relate to racism...? Ok, I gotta see this...

-CLICK-

I was way off.

On Topic, all this controversy seems to serve to distract from the real issue... Steroids. She was obviously roid raging.

And yes, men in tennis and sports in general do it too.

White men.

Evil Straight White Men who prefer vaginas. The worst kind of white man.

But, so does Serena Williams.

I think we should start calling out these real racists like Dr. Jason Johnson. Hes obsessing about race and trying to fire up a conflict, it makes me think hes a racist. Those of us who are not racist, are just living in harmony and going on with our lives without intentionally pointing out every little detail which can be used to increase racial tensions.

Im sick and tired of these mf racist decietful snakes on this mf plane(t)!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Yep. You have to draw all the cartoons from now on. Solution found!

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I don't know what the issue is. I mean, she does have big lips. This style of art, the point is to embellish features of a person that stands out. They do it to Trump's hair, why is she untouchable?

I don't see an issue with it. But... yeah, I know... I'm racist too.

That professor can kiss my lappity flappity gabbity @$$

top topics

<<   2 >>

join