It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vehicle Floatation Device

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We need some type of life preserver for cars in such that can not be moved in floods.

I do not think it would take much to keep a vehicle above water and i am not talking about a system for driving but something to protect vehicles that have to be left behind.

I bet insurance companies would love this?

Is this a dumb idea?

Do you have any thoughts on a system that would work or ways to improve the idea.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Drop anchor and float!
If vehicles had tires like on some 4 wheelers that actually float that would work
edit on 05/07/18 by FreeFalling because: Add a thought

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Im sure you could fit the doors, trunk, engine compartment etc.. with some kind of gas powered airbags...would seriously increase the price of the vehicle though.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am thinking like something after market.

Maybe a 10' piece of metal with two tractor inner tubes on each end hooked to co2 can.

Just slip one under the front and rear.

We still need an anchor though.

Maybe tie it to a hitchin post.lol

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
I am thinking like something after market.

There ya go, a business opportunity. Go for it.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hold my beer, watch this.....

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Triple expanding foam in a plastic hull form would work. 12v bilge pump. The plastic hull would only need to hold the pressure of the foam until hardened. Could be in a small mail order package. Then run a PTO off the crankshaft, timing chain serpentine, whatever and some snap on rudders. Boom you got a boat. The COG just needs to stay low enough, main deciding factor to consider regarding hull design. *One size fits most *

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Essentially make a giant air-bag type of device. Airbags are put in every nook and cranny nowadays. Im sure Detroit is more than capable of making one. Put an airbag on each of the 4 sides, and probably an extra 1 or 2 around the motor to make the car float level.
Next problem of the day.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The only problem i see is that it adds another explosive to the car. Petrol tank, air bags (to set off the air bag), you would need quite a big tank for enough air or foam or whatever to keep a car afloat.

With no steering or power to assist the car while it is adrift, it would become a whole new danger to itself, the people in it and anything/person around it.

An anchor would also add to weight, and the cost benefit would not be worth it. How many cars/people would a system like this really save a year? Not that many to interest car makers.

Definitely an idea for after market, but it might end up being to expensive and never get off the ground. If you are around water and roads a lot you are probably just better off with something amphibious.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Ummm...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
One of the biggest dangers in floods is the debris carried along with the force of water - trees etc. Adding loads of floating battering rams to the mix seems like a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Make a giant, drive in Hamster ball- one of the inflatable ones. Have it with the ability to be anchored/ secured, and it'd have to be built out of material like Kevlar- resistant to punctures, rips, etc. Drive in car, walk out, zip up, hit the inflation device or CO2 cans, car stays put in its own bubble.

OR
Specially built garage parking, resistant to rain, wind, flooding, etc. Pay a fee, car is flood free.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Now watch- Elon Musk will have my idea stolen and be marketing the #### in 3 months.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Ask Jeremy Clarkson for anything car related

it may prove a touch expensive though

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think modified snow chains may work. Just add some links to secure tractor inner tubes and fill with 12 pump run from battery.

Any who thanks everyone for stopping by. Keep the ideas rollin.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Sorry to tell you this but it's called a two post hydraulic lift, people actually put their high end cars on it and raise them to protect them from flood...they run a few thousand.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

Go one better use helium and float the car to dry ground.

Am I the only one who suspects this is a troll thread?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Brian4real

Go one better use helium and float the car to dry ground.

Am I the only one who suspects this is a troll thread?

Trolling for what?

Please do expand your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

i am not talking about a system for driving but something to protect vehicles that have to be left behind.

Didnt you specify this?

I think modified snow chains may work. Just add some links to secure tractor inner tubes and fill with 12 pump run from battery

So given enough warning you're gonna run out and wack a few inner tubes, pump them up and ya good to go.

If you got this much time....how about driving the car away?

Too simple a solution...or am I missing something here?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Sorry to tell you this but it's called a two post hydraulic lift, people actually put their high end cars on it and raise them to protect them from flood...they run a few thousand.

lol

I am familiar with a car lift and there is no need for you to be sorry.

The goal here would be the cheapest way to keep a cars computer system out of the water.

Perhaps even just a giant tractor tube filled under the car may give it a chance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join