It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maxime Bernier launches Peoples Party of Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This isn’t exactly breaking news, but is fairly recent. Mods please move to appropriate forum if I chose the wrong one.

toronto.citynews.ca...

Maxime Bernier was a Conservative up to a short while ago when he broke away from the party to start his own.
I have deep respect for the man and his ideas concerning Canada, and am disappointed he did not win the leadership role for the Conservatives, as I feel he would have done much better than Scheer.

Many agree with me, but one problem stands. A vote for Maxime’s new party is one less for Scheer.. and a split Conservative vote could mean the Liberals winning again, which would be disaster for Canada.

Bernier is willing to talk free trade, and is on the side of all Canadians instead of pandering to Quebec cartels.

Who do I vote for to assure Libs don’t retain power ? I’m sure I’m not the only Canadian asking that question 😕.

Excerpt from the article

Bernier says the name _ which will be PPC for short _ fits a party that represents people who are tired of Canadian politics being hijacked by special interest groups, cartels and lobbyists. He says that if people do not like his ideas “that’s OK, don’t vote for me.” “The politicians, they try to please everybody and when you want to please everybody, you won’t please everybody. That’s not my way of doing politics.” The maverick MP quit his party last month after spending much of the year butting heads with Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer over supply management. Scheer removed him from the Conservative shadow cabinet in June.

edit on 17-9-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

A Canadian " Almost a Tea Party " ? How Refreshing............)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think it just spits the vote.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

3 is Always Better than 2 . More Choices , No > ?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

We have 3 major parties already, Conservatives, Liberals, and NDP, this already results in minority govts..not always a bad thing, and by the same token..not much gets done.
Then we has some fringe parties like the Greens(bordering on major party status)..not ready for prime time, but they have won seats, and gaining ground.
edit on 17-9-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

3 is Always Better than 2 . More Choices , No > ?

There are already more than two with the NDP and the Green party.

It will cause vote splitting and that is disastrous if we want libs out.

I know of a few who are still voting for Scheer’s Conservatives despite the fact they have much more respect for Bernier... and only because of the fear of vote splitting being the catalyst for a victorious Liberal party.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I feel for you. It is a problematic election. The US had experienced this back in 96 when Perot ran Independently. Thus ushering in the whole Clinton era.

Thankfully, for us, Trump bided his time and ran as conservative recently and Americans had learned from the Perot fiasco the first time. Many held their nose and voted for Trump to ensure a Clinton did not return to the white house.

Honestly, I may not personally like Trump, but am thankful and even enjoying that his administration does seem to be benefitting my country irregardless of the naysayers!

Edit add: I wish you the best and apologize for bringing up American politics as an example. Unfortunately, I am not clued in as much to Canada politics beyond it seems all centered in Quebec and what they want. Sigh.
edit on 9 17 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I doubt Trudeau will win a majority this time..if he wins

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Edit add: I wish you the best and apologize for bringing up American politics as an example. Unfortunately, I am not clued in as much to Canada politics beyond it seems all centered in Quebec and what they want. Sigh.

Thank you for the well wishes... and no apologies necessary! The analogy was good... and yes Quebec always seems to be pampered to.🙄

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Maybe you Canucks should Consider Backing Whatever Party FULLY , then Once a Majority is in Political Power , you Influence it to your Citizens Benefit ......Hmm....

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Our current govt is a majority, people got tired of 2 terms from the conservatives. They voted in the Liberals with the idea they would be just a bit left of center, well Trudeau has gone a bit further left than that..I'm not sure it's what the people really wanted as it turns out.
In this case, a minority might of actually been better.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Why do you want the liberals out so badly?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

Why do you want the liberals out so badly?

Because they suck at talking trade deals with the US

Because they basically allow anyone over the border, offering them all sorts of help that they don’t offer legit Canadians.

Because they will give literally millions to Isis supporters.. while saying our own military doesn’t need more, and should make due with old equipment.

Because they are screwing with the education curriculum in a way that is very distasteful to many.

Because they’ve poured billions into building a much needed pipeline, but nothing is being done because of bureaucratic red tape.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I doubt Trudeau will win a majority this time..if he wins

Yes, but he can still make very important decisions, especially concerning money and policies, without parliamentary backing.

new topics

top topics

join