It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British cave diver is suing tech billionaire Elon Musk for defamation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Vernon Unsworth is the British cave diver who helped discover the 12 Thai teenagers and their coach in the flooded Thai cave a few months ago , he then found himself subjected to unsavory accusations from Elon Musk after Musk's offer of a little submarine was spurned , Unsworth has now filed for defamation against Mr Musk for punitive damages of $75,000 and an injunction on the big mouthed billionaire to prevent him repeating the allegation , so answering his question as to why Unsworth doesn't sue him.

"Musk's influence and wealth cannot convert his lies into truth or protect him from accountability for his wrongdoing in a court of law," Mr Unsworth's US attorney, L Lin Wood, said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Naughty Dr. Evil

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
He is not asking for much..a token slap?

I don't know what Musk was thinking when he said what he said.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
75K?? That's it????

Wow, way to low ball that.

He could have asked for a few million and probably settled out of court for like 750K.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Gee, I wish he would single me out with some fake commentary so I could sue him for defamation..although the guy is loaded, 75k really ?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
75K?? That's it????

Wow, way to low ball that.

He could have asked for a few million and probably settled out of court for like 750K.

I think it's the high road for an easy win. My guess is he just wants him to shut up about it.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

A modest sum, for sure. Of course, I'm not as convinced as others the Musk is as well off as people make him out to be.

Regardless, I hope this guy sees his day in court and wins. Musk has been doing quite a few questionable things lately, both as a human being and as a businessman, and I'd love to see him called on it. I can't stand people who get so self-absorbed that they start acting this way when it will knowingly affect others negatively.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Maybe he's just trying to make a point....that no matter how much money you have you can't go around making unsubstantiated claims that someone is a paedophile.

In my world there's no bigger insult than being called a nonce so if it was me I'd be suing the hell out of him just so that I could have my moment in court with the prick.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Don’t you guys think that the amount being asked for is kinda telling? If he was being defamed shouldn’t he seek equivalent compensation? Maby he is just a pedo and not a rapest,half truths and all that.

If I were to be publicly defamed In this fashion I’d take em for absolutely everything I could assuming I am
Innocent.

edit on 17-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-9-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

In the current climate, Unsworth might as well wear a dirty overcoat and hang around playgrounds. The allegation is 'no smoke without fire' and Musk did say words to the effect that he must be guilty or else he'd be getting sued. He didn't leave Unsworth any choice when he said it. Musk went Biff Tannen and called him chicken.

BBC pundit says:

The first amendment of the United States Constitution which protects free speech makes defamation a challenging legal action to bring.

A plaintiff (the person bringing the case) has to prove the statement made about them is false and that it has caused them material harm.

However, the toughest hurdle is that if the person bringing the case is regarded as a public figure - and 'public figure' is given a pretty wide interpretation - it has to be proved that the defendant acted maliciously.
www.bbc.co.uk...

It *looks* like a clear case of Musk acting "maliciously" as he's not based the allegations on evidence. On the other hand, it must be a tough task proving anyone acted maliciously when it's only words and nobody knows his thoughts. It'll be easy for Unsworth's lawyers to prove 'material harm,' but they'll have to prove intent.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I think the lower $ amount shows he is just making a point and clearing his name.

Elon has created a couple ify situations for himself lately. Unless he has some good legal evidence to support his claim here then he will obviously be paying up.

I think Elon is a cool nerd overall but this was almost as dumb as his toke on Joe Rogan's podcast, which he could still also get in some trouble over.

The dude stays pretty stressed, and he is human after all.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Elon’s a dummy for halving a toke but no one bats a eyelash at a guy drinking 6 whiskeys.

a reply to: Illumimasontruth

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Musk is a character for sure.

I would be really surprised if he threw all that out there, knowing he could be sued, if he didn’t have something to back it up.

Maybe I’m naive but Musk seems too smart to just let himself get sued over some name calling over Twitter.

That or he’s purposely being self destructing?

Iv been noticing a big Musk backlash lately, lots of weird stories about him and huge overreacting over his peace pipe with Rogan...

It’s really strange to me and I feel like it’s leading to something... something Musk could probably avoid if he really wanted to?
We all know how much certain political groups hate wealthy entrepreneurial folk... seems they are preemptively taking him down before he can make any real moves??

Or he’s just an out of touch cyborg that has finally fried too many fuses?

Interested to see how this all plays out.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The fact he's repeated it two or three times over stands against him in UK law , where that qualifies as harassment .

Then again perhaps he knows something we don't.. which will stand up in court and see the challenge off

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Elon’s a dummy for halving a toke but no one bats a eyelash at a guy drinking 6 whiskeys.

a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Yeah, double standard for sure, and most of us agree which 1 could be more problematic.

I personally laughed it off. It didn't even look like he inhaled? But it was a bit dumb considering his contract work and positions.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yeah. I get the feeling he just wants an out of court settlement. Just wants to sting him a bit for being a dick. Taking things to court is not an easy or pleasant thing to do when you're suing a guy who has that much money. If he was suing for a lot it would definitely get ugly.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Even though he's only suing for a pittance, that doesn't mean the judge can't/won't tack on much higher punitive damages at the judge's discretion, IF Musk is found guilty.

ELO

ETA Also, by asking for such a moderate award from such a flamboyant billionaire, it says without saying that he isn't suing purely for the money.
edit on 9171818 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Yeah. I get the feeling he just wants an out of court settlement.

If it was me I'd just want the chance to kick the crap out of him.

As there's absolutely no chance of that happening I'd want my day in court to humiliate him and for it to be publicly noted that the accusation was groundless and that I wasn't a paedophile.

No amount of money could compensate for even the slightest suggestion that I was a nonce.

edit on 17/9/18 by Freeborn because: Clarity

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Listened to Joe Rogan's podcast with Musk. It was pretty good at shedding some light on our complex AI friend Elon.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

What was heard last week was that he had some reason to think it , and he doesn;t seem quite stupid enough to have done what he's done without some agenda , like a news agenda
saying that -literally just heard the story on bbc1 news

so maybe he's ratcheting up to something , smoking herbs and getting memes generated by the youngers on the tube , selling flights round the moon , apparently in the last couple of days . Working for the russians I heard on another thread , lol .
He might do a job of expose nasa or something similar , way to sell more cars maybe , he is getting very famous off it all , infamous is more power too

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

I couldn't even begin to guess what his motivations are.

People with that much money and an ego as big as his tend to have strange thought processes.

I'd guess - and I freely admit its nothing but a guess, not even a remotely informed one - is that he lost his temper and lashed out with a misinformed and generalised accusation.
His ego won't allow him to apologise and now he's trying to intimidate the accused into letting it all drop.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join