It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Tallest Geyser In Yellowstone Has Erupted More This Year Than In The Last 30 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Steamboat Geyser in Yellowstone is the world's tallest geyser meaning it shoots water up into the air higher than any other geyser...over 300 feet at times. It also is known to erupt infrequently and sporadically... sometimes going as long as 10 years between eruptions. Well, this year in March it erupted for the first time in three and a half years and as of today it has erupted 19 times in the last 7 months. Before this it had erupted only15 times in total during the last 30 years. The eruptions are coming closer together and lasting increasingly longer and as we know the geysers in Yellowstone, such as Old Faithful are fueled by the heat from the super volcano lying under the ground. I certainly don't know what significance this has, if any, but just putting it out there for your intellectual curiosity.
edit on 9/17/2018 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

That's because there's every reason to believe that the volcano under that bit of land is awakening from it's slumber...

No telling when, of course. But it is when, not if.

...and it's going to be rather a large one.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That's because there's every reason to believe that the volcano under that bit of land is awakening from it's slumber...

No telling when, of course. But it is when, not if.

...and it's going to be rather a large one.
Experts keep claiming that they don't know why this is happening at this time...or perhaps they do and don't wish to say.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I've read those reports, too.

I've always had a distinct impression of whistling in the dark.

Now, I'm no volcanologist (sp?), I'm just playing one on the internet this morning, but when geysers become more active, and earthquakes more prevalent, and other volcanoy activity begins to be more frequent--first thought that occurs to me is, oh #, this volcano is getting scarily active.

Of course, it's done this for ages...it might be ages before it erupts again, too. There's no telling when, that I'm aware of, a volcano is going to go poof.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Is Old Faithful erupting at different intervals as well? It is well known for being very predictable and punctual so if it is also off schedule then I'd be more worried.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Let's not read too much into this, people. IIRC Steamboat erupted 29 times in 1964 and nothing went kablooie. Steamboat is located in the Norris Geyser Basin, with some fantastically complicated thermal plumbing below it.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Now, I'm no volcanologist (sp?), I'm just playing one on the internet this morning, but when geysers become more active, and earthquakes more prevalent, and other volcanoy activity begins to be more frequent--first thought that occurs to me is, oh #, this volcano is getting scarily active.

Of course, it's done this for ages...it might be ages before it erupts again, too. There's no telling when, that I'm aware of, a volcano is going to go poof.
Last year volcanologists were saying that Campi Flegrei (Italy's super volcano) was entering into a new and ominous phase of activity. My money's on that one blowing first.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

Last year volcanologists were saying that Campi Clever (Italy's super volcano) was entering into a new and ominous phase of activity. My money's on that one blowing first.

Do you mean Campi Flegrei?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Let's not read too much into this, people. IIRC Steamboat erupted 29 times in 1964 and nothing went kablooie. Steamboat is located in the Norris Geyser Basin, with some fantastically complicated thermal plumbing below it.
But we conspiracy theorists like reading too much into things.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

Last year volcanologists were saying that Campi Clever (Italy's super volcano) was entering into a new and ominous phase of activity. My money's on that one blowing first.

Do you mean Campi Flegrei?
darn auto correct

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Is Old Faithful erupting at different intervals as well? It is well known for being very predictable and punctual so if it is also off schedule then I'd be more worried.
Old Faithful's chugging along as usual...party pooper.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I don't usually get into these topics and it's caught my attention so forgive any kindergarten idiocy on my part - I don't know much.

Is the water that becomes steam from an aquifer? Is there any information on rainfall in areas that feed the aquifer? I'm wondering if increased regional rainfall has been a factor. More water mass, more pressure, more steam.

If there hasn't been above average rainfall in the region, could it be down to increasing temperatures from volcanic activity and/or rising magma? I'm presuming the area has been geologically stable (no significant earthquakes) which raises the question of why temperatures would increase?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Those geysers are about 30 miles apart from each other. Steamboat erupted 29 times in 1964 after a three year hiatus. Prior eruptions to this year was three years ago as well. But it seems to be going in spurts, with time off and then again. What I don’t know is if they are minor or major eruptions. en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I don't usually get into these topics and it's caught my attention so forgive any kindergarten idiocy on my part - I don't know much.

Is the water that becomes steam from an aquifer? Is there any information on rainfall in areas that feed the aquifer? I'm wondering if increased regional rainfall has been a factor. More water mass, more pressure, more steam.

If there hasn't been above average rainfall in the region, could it be down to increasing temperatures from volcanic activity and/or rising magma? I'm presuming the area has been geologically stable (no significant earthquakes) which raises the question of why temperatures would increase?
I know the answer of course...but I'd really rather not say. (Translation: I don't have a clue)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Me neither.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, whether it is sign of bad things or good things (pressure relief), it is good to know to keep an eye on it.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Well, whether it is sign of bad things or good things (pressure relief), it is good to know to keep an eye on it.
My concern would be that the magma has risen closer to the surface and that's what's causing it to erupt so often...however the experts My concern is that the magma has risen closer to the surface and that's what's causing it to erupt more often...however the experts claim to have no idea what's going on.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Before this it had erupted only15 times in total during the last 30 years.

So what happened 31 + years ago ?

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Before this it had erupted only15 times in total during the last 30 years.

So what happened 31 + years ago ?
It erupted more frequently but that hardly would have made my point now would it? That's why I only went back 30 years. But the important thing is...made you look.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join