It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I get some input please

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: watchitburn
Sounds pretty ageist and discriminatory for you to arbitrarily decide what she can or can't have or handle.

I can understand your concern. But she is very old and pretty forgetful about everything.
Hence me having to go over to her place and prepare her food. So I am going to go with the whole me being in charge thing.

Here is your answer - If your mother is forgetful to the point of not being able to prepare her own food...she is not qualified to own a firearm. Period. If she forgets whether the firearm is loaded or not innocent people could be harmed or killed.

So, your answer is, NO, this is NOT an acceptable idea.

Final Answer.

ETA - One more thing...while the John Moses Browning model 1911a1 pistol is one of the safest pistols ever developed, it can also be one of the most dangerous to an inexperienced shooter, or a shooter with unstable hand movements (particularly after the first shot). Returning the 1911 firearm from Condition "0" to Condition "2" or Condition "3" can be extremely dangerous if the shooter isn't highly experienced. Attempting to return a 1911 from Condition "0" to Condition "1" can be flat out DEADLY with a trembling hand. Remember, a 1911 is a SAA. Inexperienced shooters should never start with a SAA or DA-SA for a personal protection firearm, and instead opt for a DAO pistol.
edit on 9/17/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Just an FYI on people telling you to use wasp spray, it may be specifically prohibited in your area and only pepper spray may be used. Check your local statutes.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Just an FYI on people telling you to use wasp spray, it may be specifically prohibited in your area and only pepper spray may be used. Check your local statutes.

Legal everywhere and repulses EVERYONE!

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Wasp spray as a self defense tool during an attach is a myth, and it's been busted many times.

If someone wants to piss off their attacker, use wasp spray. Then prepare to be beaten mercilessly by your attacker!

If someone wants to stop an attacker with a chemical deterrent, use bear spray or the highest concentration OC spray you can find.

Of course, setting your opponent on fire and then shooting them multiple times while they jump around trying to extinguish the flames seems to work pretty well too...from what I can tell.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Dementia.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Wasp spray as a self defense tool during an attach is a myth, and it's been busted many times.

I wouldn't even be comfortable using pepper spray unless the pepper spray was a point five oh caliber Desert Eagle.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So... Your mother has been vehemently anti-gun her whole life... And then a "guy friend" comes along and tells her she should get one. Now she's hell-bent on getting a gun and learning how to use it.
Sounds to me like she's trying to impress a certain "guy friend".
I'd be less concerned about your mother learning to use a gun and more concerned about what else this "guy friend" might coerce her into doing... Like giving him her life savings when he conveniently happens to have a life emergency and needs it. If she's willing to completely throw aside an entire life's worth of beliefs for a guy, who knows what else she'll do.
edit on 9/17/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Momma don't want no gun.

Momma wants that D

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Maybe she was inspired by this scene.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
So... Your mother has been vehemently anti-gun her whole life... And then a "guy friend" comes along and tells her she should get one. Now she's hell-bent on getting a gun and learning how to use it.
Sounds to me like she's trying to impress a certain "guy friend".
I'd be less concerned about your mother learning to use a gun and more concerned about what else this "guy friend" might coerce her into doing... Like giving him her life savings when he conveniently happens to have a life emergency and needs it. If she's willing to completely throw aside an entire life's worth of beliefs for a guy, who knows what else she'll do.

Her savings have been split into two accounts one controlled by me and the other by my dad. Yes they are divorced but he isn’t.....well, let’s just say he can drive a car and not wreck. So if this guy wants her money he will have two people to go through.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Something happened she doesn't want to really talk about, and it's shook her to the core. I am not exactly drooling over buying a gun, but recent events (concerning me, not world) are making me think about it strongly.

Might want to see what's up beforehand.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: wylekat

Something happened she doesn't want to really talk about, and it's shook her to the core. I am not exactly drooling over buying a gun, but recent events (concerning me, not world) are making me think about it strongly.

Might want to see what's up beforehand.

That is a very good idea. But getting her to talk about things like that is extremely difficult.
I may just spend the next few nights at her place and my little sister stay at mine. Maybe then I can get some info on what is bothering her.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AllaroundyouMaybe she wants to get a gun and learn to shoot so she can chase you off her property.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
is there a small gun with small bullets that doesnt kill but a little hurts?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: AllaroundyouMaybe she wants to get a gun and learn to shoot so she can chase you off her property.

I mean I guess that’s possible. She already hates it when I come over nowadays. I steal her TV remote and change it from CNN to animal planet. She hates that but I just put the remote atop the bookshelf out of her reach. And the other night i made Salmon as she requested. BUT.... I got jalapeño mango Salmon......She was not happy but I got a good laugh from it.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

I found a few on Amazon but that just piss her off. Which is fine with me.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla

A Daisy:

Ah the good ole days.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: intrepid

What's that old expression?
Bring a knife to a gun fight...

"Fix bayonets!"

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

That sounds like a good plan! Hopefully this little new project of hers will just fade away.

Very glad to know you'll be very thoughtful about the possibility of getting a dog. They are such wonderful creatures and it's tragic when through no fault of their own they get stuck with someone who provides them with a life of misery.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Actually I just read your first post again, and she is absolutely NOT a candidate for a dog!

If she has trouble feeding herself, she cannot take good care of a dog. Feeding a dog is the EASIEST part of owing a dog and caring for it. How will she train it, give it exercise, a regular schedule, etc?

This kind of thing is EXACTLY part of why 4 million dogs live live of misery to then be euthanized each year. Someone thinks "I'll get such and such a dog and if they don't take care of it I will take the dog." If you're already questioning if she can properly care for the dog, that is your answer that she won't. Then YOU have this dog that you weren't planning on getting in the first place, so now you are going to adjust your schedule and lifestyle to care for a dog? Not usually what happens.

Scrap the dog idea now, AAY. Scrap the gun idea too.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join